What is Valcyte treatment.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kelleyc, Feb 13, 2007.

1. kelleyc

kelleyc New Member

Can anyone explain what this treatment is. I have read several people talking about it but I don't know what it is. Thanks.
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Valganciclovir / Valcyte - antiviral normally used to treat diseases caused by viruses in the herpes family. Used in treatment for a "subset" of people with CFS.

"Over the past three years, Jose Montoya, MD, associate professor of medicine, and postdoctoral scholar Andreas Kogelnik, MD, PhD, have treated 25 CFS patients with the drug valganciclovir. Of the 25 treated, 21 responded with significant improvement that was sustained even after going off the six-month treatment regimen. The very first patient treated has been off the drug for three years now and has experienced no relapses.

Since the 21 patients who responded to the valganciclovir had all developed CFS after an initial flulike illness, while the four who did not respond had suffered no initial flu, researchers speculate that valganciclovir may not be effective in all cases of CFS. But they are hopeful that further testing will validate the effectiveness of valganciclovir for a large subset of CFS patients." (From Karen Lee Richards, "Your Guide to Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.")

The Valcyte may not be effective for those who have no initial flu-like illness. I'm not sure if those on the Board are in the "subset", or had the flu-like illness prior to their diagnosis.