What is you favorite flower?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Doznclan3, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

We are so blessed with so many different flowers/colors...which is your fav? I love tulips!
    Hoping the weather is good to you right now, where ever you are.
    Love, Cynthia
  2. springwater

springwater Active Member

Nice to see you, been a while.

Cynthia. I was thinking about which is my favourite flower and i just
    cant come up with one single one. I love them all. Roses in their many
    hues and fragrances, snapdragons, clarkia, so many colours to them.
    I think i have a partiality to those which can even grow in the wild.
    Daffodils, etc.

God Bless
  3. springwater

springwater Active Member

I have never seen a peony except in pictures. But the Chinese think they bring
    good luck. My supermarket had brought a big plastic one once, with huge pink
    plastic blooms so i brought that home and plonked it in the living room. I can
    only imagine their beauty in real life.

God Bless
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

We have an amazing Agave plant, a type of cactus, here in the complex where I live and it has grown to almost the roof of the second floor apartments. It has a very fat stem and the stem is covered with beautiful little yellow flowers. The honey bees are drawn to it and just love the flowers. It is a most beautiful plant. Unfortunately, I understand it will go through this extensive and fabulous blooming and then die. They sit dormant for years, and when conditions are right (we had a ton of rain over the winter and spring, which is unusual for us), this plant just exploded with growth and bloom. It is fantastic to see and I see it every time I go to the mailboxes.
  5. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I was going to come on and ask if anyone has a lilac bush..Jam said she used to, I have a huge area that is actually like a fence between us and the neighbor..looks like this bush will be blooming big time this year.
    Ahh, the Peony bush. I've tried and tried, didn't do too well. So what happens? We move into this house a few years ago, and there's this bush starting to grow. I told my husband, I think that's a Peony bush..but it probably won't do anything. Wow! That bush goes crazy! I love it. Huge flowers. They get so big and heavy on this bush to the point of drooping, but the flower is fine, beautiful. I guess it likes where it is. It is on the North side of our home, gets the morning sunshine.
    Sunflowers..I'm also going to plant more this year. Had so many people comment on how beautiful they are...I plant the really big ones. I put them on the north side also, but they get the afternoon sun, other end of the house. Some plants and flowers are picky where they want to grow. :)
    Haven't been on a while. So, need to go catch up. Hope mostly good is happening.
    I've been suffering with a silly kink in my neck..how annoying! And painful..heat helps.
    Love to all, Cynthia
  6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

When I lived in another state, I lived about a mile from my Dad and he had a huge blooming gardenia bush. Well in the law office where I worked, my boss had a client that had eaten raw garlic for so many years that the stink from her was beyond belief and undoubtedly comes out of her pores too. My boss had to fill out paperwork and get answers to questions from her, but refused to be with her in a closed conference room because of the stink. It would take days with this stinky lady so he made me do it.

I called up Dad and told him cut me a bunch of gardenias, and he would put them in a wet paper towel in aluminum foil, I would drive by his home before work and pick them up, then at work dump them all at in a huge wide glass bowl of water in the conference room and close the door. The gardenia smell actually out smelled the lady with the garlic. And Dad and I did this every day that I had to be closed up with this smelly woman and I successfully made it through (plus the lady was so impressed with all the beautiful gardenias in the conference room). So many thanks to the fantastic gardenias and the help they gave to me.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/23/2010]
  7. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

That's a good one! Gardenias are a strong smelling flower..they actually took the smell of garlic away? Whew, happy it worked out! :))))
    Cynthia
  8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Growing up, we had huge bushes of lilacs that formed a full border fence between us and our next door neighbor. That neighbor was an alcoholic mess, so that a tall lilac border was so good and we didn't have to look at him. And taking the blooms inside just let the smell flow through the house.

Unfortunately, that neighbor thought the lilacs were on his property and confronted my Dad--Dad told him we had the survey to prove it. When the neighbor had his own survey done, he discovered that the liilacs were on our property and half this neighbor's car was on our property too (our surveyer years ago put special spikes in the ground to show us the border and that's why we planted the liliacs where we did). Suddenly something was poured on all the lilacs and the plants all died suddenly--and we suspected this wierdo neighbor. Eventually he moved to another state, but he ruined some fantastic lilac bushes
  9. windblade

windblade Active Member

When I was young, after it had rained in the summer months, I would run barefoot on the cool grass up to the part of the garden where the huge peonies were growing. Pale pink to white colored.

I buried my whole face in the rain-drenched flowers, experiencing that special combination of wet, sweet petals enveloping me.
  10. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Ahh Windblade, you paint a pretty picture here. My bush is getting bigger!
    Aren't we glad for some of those happy childhood memories...
    TwoCats..sorry, but that last post about your lilacs has to be a sad one. My mom had a similar thing happen with our next door neighbors years ago. He was being a stink about the fence..thought you only heard about these things happening to others, but yep, a little white picket fence. She was trimming the rose bushes that were growing on our side because we really didn't have much of a driveway, and for those stickery bushes to be in our way when we got into our car, well, it was much better to have the thorns cut back. She didn't cut on his side at all. He got angry, said that the fence was his, and that part of our driveway was his. Come to find out..ah ha...the fence was on our property, plus, part of his yard was ours. We didn't make a fuss out of it. He did stop complaining about the trimming.
    Happier memories of roses...my mother could grow a rose bush! Our back yard was beautiful in one corner just for those.
    Cynthia
  11. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I grew up in AZ and my grandfather grew the tallest and most fragrant sweetpeas. I have never had luck growing them here in WY. I wish I could, cause the smell would bring back many happy memories.

Jana1
  12. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Hi, I don't know you yet...but ahhh, sweetpeas! Smells really can bring back good memories. Thank goodness for good memories..especially with grandparents. I loved my grandmother so.
    Nice meeting you...:)
    Cynthia
  13. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I love carnations--I remember helping my grandpa in his flower gardens and I always loved them.

My mom loved Tulips so they remind me alot of mom

My brother loved Red Roses

14. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

planted a little piece of heaven on my north side of my home. I planted a variety of flowers. My tulips are almost done, but what's really neat is, my bleeding heart bush came up big time this year. It's so pretty.
    I still have a lot left to plant..bit garden area out front, but I had to stop..boy am I feeling it already. Chills to boot.
    Monday, I'm hoping I will feel up to planting the rest..I am going to put impatience all along the border on the other side..a dark pink and white alternated.
    I love flowers!
    Cynthia
  15. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Iris just today. I was so happy to see it, and it was purple.
    Ok, so the planting did a number on me, but, I fear that what I'm feeling is more than that. My son was just sick with the flu a couple of days ago, now I have all the same symptoms. I can tell I'm running a small fever...chilled, sweaty...hoping tomorrow is better.
    Who else has some flowers coming up, or planted...I did plant some pansies today too. :)
    Cynthia
  16. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Yes, I have also seen the hummingbirds. I love them. Last week I saw a bird I didn't recognize..I had to call my husband over to see it. It was in our apple tree making a noise I hadn't heard around here. It was black and yellow..lots of yellow. So pretty. We get really really cute little finches here in Utah too. Spring just may have finally made it here. We were actually down in the high 30's one day last week. Unusual at this time of year, but it happens. Still raining off and on though, rain tomorrow. Oh well...I don't have to water!
    Have to add...my baby chicks are darling too. :p
    Cynthia
  17. windblade

windblade Active Member

I've been waiting all year to try and catch the peak blooming season for a spectacular public garden display of over a hundred different kinds of Irises! And I made it this year.

They were mostly large bearded irises - in every color combination possible. With three lower petals one color, three upper another, the fuzzy caterpillar looking 'beard' another part of the palette, each flower was a stunning work of art.

One flower could be coffee colored, pale green, with burgundy stripes, and a green-gold beard.
    Another yellow, apricot, orange. Pure blacks, snowy whites, deep, rich purples, and the palest of blues. I was drunk on all the color, and had that spontaneous ahhhh that you get when watching fireworks.

My wonderful husband took photos as I pointed to this one and that one, and we ended up with 60 great pics to feast on.

Last year I missed the peak season which only lasts for two weeks, and was the only person there, wandering around under an umbrella in the pouring rain, enjoying the few flowers that were left.
  18. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

My husband and I have been enjoying everyone elses irises, so we have decided that we need to find a place for some in our yard!
    Oh, and I do need to get my hummingbird feeder out! They do remember don't they?
  19. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It is in the Gardinia family, but much larger. At least as large as a man's hand. I have four large bushes of them, and they have the most wonderful smell. I also have the smaller ones (Gardinia), the Daisy Jasmine, and the Confederate Jasmine vine. I have about 60 bushes of all of the above. You can smell my yard half a block before you get to it right now, they are all blooming! they are my favorites, always have been. Nothing smells sweeter than Jasmine!

Shalom, Shirl
  20. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi all,

I have a half dozen peony plants in my garden...white is my favorite because the fragrance is the prettiest. I have light pink and med pink too. But ohhh the white...

I wish I could bottle it up year around - it's so comforting!

God Bless,

Elisabeth