What is your best buy in beauty products?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tanu, Oct 28, 2005.

1. tanu

tanu New Member

I am confused with all the ads on TV. Iam looking for a good foundation.I have used Clinique for many years.I watch
    ads on Laura sutton,Bare minerals,and others.Lots of ads on antiwrinkle creams etc.Please advise on a your beauty secrets.I have dark circles i tried a conceler(clinique)and i looked hideous.My lips are always chapped and the lipstick doesnt come smooth.Any solutions?I am in my late thirties .Being an asian my complexion is between white and brown.(Like Jennifer Lopez).I have no beauty regime .Everyone says i look younger than my age but recently i have noticed an accelerated appearance of brown spots(age spots?) on my body and i am concerned.I also interested in curling my hair make the waves when i go out.Any tips ?
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi Tanu,
    For cleaner, toner, day and night cream and lines I use Cellex-C. Its pretty pricy, but it really works well for me, and I have tried other things and always go back to it.
    For make-up, I use MAC. I'm in my late 30's and need that coverage under my eyes..wrinkles! uurrgghh! I've found the best way to measure the effectiveness of your make-up is to look at pictures of yourself with different types of make-up and see which picture you like best!
    The mirror just doesnt do it for me!
  3. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I have tried them all. I am now using Mary Kay liquid foundation and I like it alot. The Bare Mineral broke me out terribly.
  4. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

The Mineral Make up just seem to fall into my large pores and looked horrible.

I use Dermablend to hide redness (either Rosacea or Lupus rash) and then I put a light coat of a tinted moisturizer on that.

I happen to love Signature A make up from QVC or Serious Skin Care from HSN.

I have very fair, dry, and sensitive skin.
    Tiggeer
  5. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I have horrid dark circles under my eyes, always have, as does my brother. The only thing I've found that works to hide them is derma-blend, it's scar makeup and it works wonderfully.. I get mine at Kaufmanns- You can order it online too! google it!

I love Mac pressed powder-

Try bag balm on your dry lips.. you can get it in the pharmacy- (ask the pharmisit)I got mine at Eckerd. It comes in a green tin can and I used to use it for diaper rash on my kids, and then I read an article in a mag where one of the "starlets" uses it as a lip balm, and now I'll tell ya.. my lips are smooooth- I love it!

Before this DD I was such a girly girl, never left home without a full face of makeup- now, I barely have energy, but I think it's so important to feel confident and beautiful. I still like to put my "face" on, even when I'm feeling rotten- although the bags under my eyes can't really be helped, at least my cheeks are rosy!!

Sharon
  6. shelbo

shelbo New Member

Ta, Shelbo
  7. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Prescriptives. They have lots of colors and formulations. Many have yellow undertones which should work with your asian skin. They have excellent products and can help you find the best color. Once you know your color, you are set. I have used the same color for 19 years, so each time they have a new formula, I just order online. You can go to gloss dot com and see all the many Estee Lauder companies (Prescriptives, MAC, Origins, and many others). Prescriptives has a mascara called "false eyelashes", and it is very popular.

MAC is fun too, I have been told (can't confirm) that they have too many ingredients that aren't so good for your skin. Neutrogena has very good products and you can get it at the drugstore. You can go to their website and answer questions and they will help you choose the best products for your skin type.

If you have any spots that are accelerating, get to the dermatologist and have them checked. I just read a bulletin that some left on another board where her dr said her "brown spots" were nothing. She went to another dr, turned out to be melanoma and she had to get a lot of surgery. It would have been better had it been caught earlier. Can't hurt to check!

I like the bag balm lip suggestion, I think I will go to the drugstore and get some. You might be dehydrated. With the many meds we take and if you are lazy like me, you may not drink enough water???? just a thought.

If you decide you want to try mineral makeup, I can help you find natural ones, not the ones on TV, they have a lot of crud in them. Just page me here, and will give you a great site to go to.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything you try at the store, walk around a little, go outside and see how it looks before you commit.

Can you tell makeup is my passion! I have every brand and type imaginable, I love it! HTH, Lisa
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I sweat! If I put it on, you can be sure I'll sweat it off. Really bugs me, but I don't know what I can do about it. I used to always have makeup one, etc. Now...look like a peasant woman from the middle ages. Guess I need to get a head scarf! It would complete the look. (-:

Just a comment...

Sue
  9. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I love mark. makeup and MAC is cool to.

As for mascara - I LOVE the new comb out mascaras that are out. mark. has a really great one. You can check it out at meetmark.com and a bonus is that none of their products are tested on animals!!
  10. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I have spent tons of money over the years on makeup. I love it. I always feel that my clean face is like a new canvas and I'm the artist.

I use different cleansers and moisturizes depending on how my skin is acting. I always wear the same brank of moisturizer and cleanser. I've had too many things that interacted with each other.

I wash my face, moisturize, put on eye balm, then a little primer. Then I hide the ugly spot and redness with Dermablend. Then a light foundation. Then I powder my whole face with corn starch to set the make up. I make sure to put it on my upper eye lids so that I don't get mascara marks halfway through the day. I have found the cornstarch to be a lifesaver when it comes to sweating... it helps to stop the shine.

Then I do my eyes and very last thing before I leave the house is my lipstick. Signature A (QVC) has a great doubled ended lip wand formulated for "older" people so it doesn't creep into those little lines above the lip. I put that on and there is a gloss on the other end. The gloss doesn't run into those lines either and looks really nice... it does however, come off on glasses and cups.

I never leave the house without my lip want and gloss. I can get by without the rest of the makeup, but I've got to have my lips on.
    Tigger
  11. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Bag balm is great. I use it on my hands and feet too.

It's especially good for those dry, cracked cuticles.

Tigger
  12. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

If you wear some type of moisturizing lipstick or gloss most of the time, you won't have chapped lips. It can't be the dry, all day kind. I haven't had chapped lips since I was a kid and didn't wear anything on my lips.
  13. Rene

Rene New Member

lancome has the best mascara even Dr phils Robin uses it and said so on his show. I felt that way too. You can get a free small tube.

Though I don't wear make up I did by Fake Eyelashes and they are great!! And you can reuse them too. Aredell or Andrea is what I wore and they use real hair for $2.70 at wal green. rene
  14. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

I went to get prescriptions at CVS, so I got the bag balm, it should last the rest of my life! It is very moisturizing. I also got St. Ives Apricot scrub for sensitve skin, I bought Neutrogena blackhead eliminating mask, Queen Helene Mint Masque (the best, and cheap). I also got Revlon's skinlights difusing tint makeup and their face illuminator loose powder. I didn't need any of it, but I will enjoy it.

Someone recommended Signature A, it actually HSN, not QVC. Also if you are interested in saving $$, Loreal is the parent company of Lancome, so the products are very similar, except in $$.

You can also go to Paula Bergoun's site, called paulaschoice dot com. She will tell you about just about every makeup, what's in it, comparisons, tons of info if you like to do research.
  15. JLH

JLH New Member

You mentioned that you knew where to get the minerals makeup that doesn't have a lot of junk in it ....

please tell me! I was going to try the Bare Minerals, then someone suggested that I try the Jane Iredale Minerals Makeup. I bought it online, as I don't live close to a big city that carries anything like that.

Now, it breaks my skin out -- I have lupus and very sensitive skin. I liked the idea of it already having sunscreen in it.

I use a lot of the Oil of Olay skin creams and never had any problem.

I also use Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil w/Aloe & Vit. E in it to squirt all of my body when I turn the shower off, then towel dry. Leaves my skin sooo soft. I also sometimes put it on my face, then wipe it off with a Puffs tissue before applying my makeup--it's cheap and is a good moisturizer!!

Janet
  16. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

but then I am a beauty consultant for them. I don't sell it, just use it. For home use just use the Time Wise Anti Aging Moisturizer. I'm still using the regular formula, but they have 2 different types for different types of skin now.

I also use all Mary Kay makeup and have been since around 1989. I admit that at one point, I got to the point where I didn't want to put makeup on. But when I see a doc now, I put it on.

In the winter when I need something on my lips I use either the lip gloss or the Lip Protector Sunblock, even though I'm rarely in the sun.

We need to get our humidifier set up NOW because I'm having a lot of problems with my noise drying out because of the heat running and it has been really cold at night here. So I'm using the Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream (like colored petroleum jelly) in my nose to keep it from drying out and bleeding. Must have sensitive skin. It has a nice scent to it.

I have read on here other Mary Kay consultants talk about the products. I really like them even if I didn't buy them from the company.

Hint, hint, they are coming out with a new mascara line in December. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 10/28/2005]
  17. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

I have been having wonderful results with Avon..no more split nails, skin is smooth and toned, looking better than I feel....a real boost
  18. keke466

keke466 New Member

I use this. Best and easiest makeup I've ever used. I'm very pale and I use the fair. You need very little so it will last a long time. Also have dark circles and use the concealer,works good on me. I learned about it on QVC. Buy it from there it's cheaper than the infomercial.

Good luck. Keke

They have a color for every skin tone.
  19. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i love sheer cover mineral makeup.

it blows away bare mineral. i just tried it and bought it off from qvc, did get a pretty good deal. but it rubs off and is messy. and like others on the post made my skin break out. i usually have flawless skin.

i tried the signature a line for over 40, geasy on my dry to normal skin. yuck and sent it back...

so i order another sheercover package and will last me months. and that is the 30 day supply. i just don't have to toudh it up. plus comes w/two shades that you can blend or use alone. i tan very easily but i just don't sunbathe hardly at all since the 40 mark was encroaching last year.

i love clinique moistiser, but i like oil of olay and some of the other brands you can buy at target or costco...

cetaphil cleanser is great. and beauty tip you can use milk of magnesia to take off the make up/and baby wipes.

i like the loreal microdermabrasion scrub stuff but i thing any are just as good.

sheer cover has sold me the most for the mineral department. nice kit comes with cover up two colors, two base colors foundation powder, mineral finishing powder, brushes and one for travel, mostuizer, and cleanser. all for under 35 dollars total...including shipping. doesn't take long to have it shipped to your house.

oh yeah i love laura gellar bronzenbrighten...great brush included for about $30 i will have that for a long time for years maybe....

well that is all i can think of for now,

thinking about using strivectin for wrinkles on my face, they have great reviews about it and for stretch marks. costco had two large tubes of it for sale for $60...normally in the %100 range plus for one tube..

just waiting for some extra money to try..

any used it for wrinkles or stretch marks??

jodie
  20. kgangel

kgangel New Member

I have been told that using soap is very bad for your face so I have been using an apricot scrub on my face and I have always used ponds products. I guess I am very lucky or these products must work well because I went for a facial and she said my skin was beautiful and to keep up what i had been doing. I am 47 and only some laugh lines, my husbands says my skin is the smoothest thing he has ever felt. Not to say the rest of me is not falling apart lol, like I am over weight and don't like looking at what I look like in full lenght mirror, but at least I guess my face is in good shape.

I have had a hard time finding a foundation though. I agree with one of the posts. I had used one from Avon I really liked but have not seen an avon book in awhile so I have been trying different things. I really can not afford to go to places for clinique or other products that you would get at a higher class store, so I can not help you therel

I have also been getting those age spots only on my hands so far, don't like them either, but what are you going to do? I am getting older I guess

kgangel