What is your blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frecker777, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

What constitutes low blood sugar? Some doctors tell me your blood sugar has to drop below 50 to be considered hypoglycemia and others contend 60-100 is the optimal range. Does anyone here have a glucose meter and test their blood sugar fairly often? What numbers do people feel their best at?
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

A year ago it was more like 80.

My family physician didn't blink an eye, but he did have me do a further test for diabetes. I was NOT concerned about diabetes, but he just couldn't see the problem other than possibly that.

At the very least I should have had another fasting glucose done. If it repeated, I should have been tested for pituitary abnormalities.

My understanding is that different people feel best at different levels. It's a rather individual thing, although *generally* within the range you mention.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I am a diabetic and my blood sugar is normally TOO HIGH!!!!

Every doc seems to tell you what THEY think the "normal" range is--but I think it's more of want they want your blood sugar to stay between. I've always been told the normal range is 80-120, but I know the AMA has revised that now.

I don't know about you blood sugar having to drop below 50 to be considered hypoglycemia. THAT SOUNDS AWFULLY LOW TO ME!!!

If your blood sugar drops too low, it can cause you many, many problems--and you may not be awake to know about them either!!

My father was a diabetic and took insulin 3-4 times a day. As he got up in years, he would forget stuff. One time he forgot and took a 2nd shot of insulin immediately after taking his 1st shot. Such a No-No!!!

My mother did not know what he did. All she knew was that he was sitting in his wheelchair, unconscious with his head hanging over. She called 911 frantic. An ambulance got his to the hospital in just a couple minutes. She told him that he was diabetic, so they checked his sugar on the ambulance first thing and found out his sugar was 35. They immediately started an IV with glucose and he started to improve. Once is was OK, he did remember taking 2 shots instead of one, which took it down too low.

If my mother hadn't panicked, she should have checked his sugar, and given him some glucose tablets they had on hand, but she's elderly, too, and did the right thing. He was a kidney dialysis patient, too, which complicated his entire health protocol.

Back to your question. I do have a glucose meter and check my sugar daily. I would feel best if my sugar were around 100, but it's NEVER that low. I only wish it were! I take 3 oral diabetes meds as well as a 24-hr insulin shot daily.

If your sugar is normally around 50 -- you need to get an appointment with an endocronologist and watch your sugar as closely as someone with high sugar!!

We had a girl that was hypoglycemic in my office at one time--she told me she had to eat 6 small meals a day, with so much protein, etc.

Take care of yourself,
    Janet
  4. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

if your interested in knowing if your blood sugar drops after sugar etc.. then the only way to tel is a 6 hour glucose tolerance test. And if your Dr. looks at you like your wierd.. then they are wrong, this is really the only way to tell.. Especially how symptoms kick in for hypoglycemics 3-4 hours after they eat
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Right now, my endo is having me take my blood sugar before I eat, and then again 2 hours AFTER I have eaten to see if it has dropped back down to what it was before I ate.
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have had diabetes type 2 for 29 years. I sort of feel the best if it is over 100 and under 150. But like Janet, I'm having problems with my fasting and before bedtime being too high. Some nights I don't go to bed until early in the mornings.

I have lost 17 pounds since May, but my sugar doesn't seem to be going down any and if anything I seem to need more insulin.

I get the shakes and trembling at 70 and below. I go by how I feel and test, then if it is less than 90, I'll have about 3 jelly beans.

My endocrinologist doesn't like it when it is under 90. Because, I'm taking insulin 3 x a day.

Janet, before dinner my sugar was 111 today. But around 12:30 PM it was 201 and that was fasting. After 10 PM it was like 245, so I took 46 u of N.

I'm going a long time from my night time shot to the morning hours and I don't believe the N will cover it that long. I'm trying to get my endo to put me on Lantus. But I think he still wants to try me on Glucophage. I know I will get diarrhea as I had diarrhea tonight and it was for no reason at all.

Hugs,
    Faye
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I took 2 Prandin pills before I ate my supper, which was just a sandwich of a slice of olive loaf with a 1/2 teaspoon of Mircle Whip on it and a small handful of BBQ potato chips (I know - a no-no). That was about 7:00pm.

Then around 9:00 pm I was still hungry and my hubby was in bed (as usual!), so I go me a small bowl of ice cream--my big weakness!

I took my BS before I come to get on the computer--when I was taking a bunch of my evening meds--and it was 212 or 243, I can't remember!!

See, I just can't make myself eat the correct food to keep it down. I have felt sooooo bad today, that I didn't fix any supper. We both just had a sandwich for supper. I didn't get up until noon, and had only had a bowl of Cheerios at about 2:00. So I had been hungry all afternoon.

It's almost 2:00 am and I need to get off the computer and go to bed now. But before I go to bed, I will take a shot of 65 units of Lantus and take my Glucophage, 500 mg, tablet.

I know I manage my diabetes terribly. I go to this new endo in 2 weeks and he will probably fuss at me.

My legs are really fair and pale, and then my feet are pretty red all over. I asked him last visit about them, and it just said "oh, that's neuropathy." and that was it!

I asked him about taking regular insulin during the day, and he said "let's not go there just yet". So ???????

What kind of food do you eat during the day to keep your BS stable and low?

Hugs,
    Janet