What is your day like?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nana2Andromeda, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

Hi everyone....today I couldn't do much because of back and left hip pain, so I watched a lot of TV. What do some of you guys do during the day? Some days I feel I can do all most anything and others, I won't even open the blinds thru out the house. I am new to this illness and need to learn how to cope and live with it without feeling guilty.
    I guess I feel guilty because I can't work anymore and my husband works a lot of overtime to make up what I use to bring home in pay and I see what it is doing to him. I try to make sure the house is clean and laundry is done and his dinner is ready every night when he gets home, but it is getting to the point where these tasks are getting harder and harder. What are your days like? What do you guys do to get thru the day? Is watching TV and going to doctor appointments is all our life is about anymore?
    Thanks for letting me whine alittle....Donna
  2. Nana2Andromeda

Hi everyone....today I couldn't do much because of back and left hip pain, so I watched a lot of TV. What do some of you guys do during the day? Some days I feel I can do all most anything and others, I won't even open the blinds thru out the house. I am new to this illness and need to learn how to cope and live with it without feeling guilty.
    I guess I feel guilty because I can't work anymore and my husband works a lot of overtime to make up what I use to bring home in pay and I see what it is doing to him. I try to make sure the house is clean and laundry is done and his dinner is ready every night when he gets home, but it is getting to the point where these tasks are getting harder and harder. What are your days like? What do you guys do to get thru the day? Is watching TV and going to doctor appointments is all our life is about anymore?
    Thanks for letting me whine alittle....Donna
  3. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

I was recently diagnosed myself. I don't work, but I have a 5, 3, and 1 year old at home. I have to take care of them, so I do. I find that my pain is equally as bad whether I am up and doing something as it is laying down. Don't feel guilty. You do what you can.Maybe you can find someone to help your husband out. Or maybe find an at home job to bring in some money so you feel better mentally. Good luck and feel well.
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Take care of you. Do you have any children? If so, ask them to help. I used to do for everyone, guilt too and all. I no longer waste the energy on the guilt though. I just take it a day at a time. Some days I feel so bad. Some days I feel so good, etc. Like you. Ask for help if you have the help around you. If you are doing your best, then like what more can one ask for?

Moving around, even if it hurts, like to go outdoors and stretch. It helps. Taking on some enjoyable activities, that dont take too much strength, etc.. helps.

It is hard, to deal with all that CFS, and Fibro diagnosis does to oneself. Just keep on keeping on.

Peace~Sunshyne

5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I have good days and bad days. Some days I don't do anything, even a shower. Other days I feel ok & do as much as I can. That's what's really scaring me about returning to work. I really don't know what I can do. I want to be able to work. I don't want to let my husband down, although, he would understand. It would put such pressure on him though & I don't want to do that. If I can't do full time, I'll try part time and so on...I don't know where I'll end up. I do as much as I can when I'm feeling good. I haven't worked for a year and a half. I know that having a routine helps me, but I don't know what I'm physically capable of because I had a car accident and surgery since I last worked. dolsgirl
  6. Nana2Andromeda

You guys are great....No children here at home. I do have a granddaughter, but she lives in Texas and I am here in California. I am fighting for some grandparent rights so maybe I will be able to start seeing her again. Wish me luck...Court is 10/02/02
    I use to write short stories, but sitting down more than 45 minutes at the computer can bring on low back pain and tangling in my feet and hands. I have worked for so many years I guess it is hard not to work....I don't know what to do with myself. I worry about money too, but if my social security gets approved maybe I won't feel that guilt.
  7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I guess I have my hands full, I have three boys, ages 15, 12, and 10.

They keep me going,they are my support. But I try not to let them become my total support.

I feel guilty too at times, when I have to rely on them so much sometimes. I guess the guilt comes with the diagnosis. I view it differently, I see it as another challange, stage to go through, and learn.

I love this message board dont you? We can all relate..Share different things. I love it.

:)
  8. Pixie_Dupree

Pixie_Dupree New Member

Hi Nana...

Each day is different for me...I use to be a very organized...routine...everything in it's place kind of a person...but...since the fibro beast took my life...I've had to change that person...

I morned her for a long long time...then...finally realized that if I didn't reinvent myself that I was letting "Fibro" win...and there was no way that I was going to let that happen...

So...this new girl just goes with the flow...if I'm flaring on a certain day I don't open the cutains because the light puts stress on me...and I might wash up...but if I don't...well...it's not like I worked up a sweat the day before...

Here's what a "FLARE" day is for me:
    I wake up stiff,and feel like poop...that's when I know I must recoop...
    I get something warm to sip...and read,or nap,or snuggle with my cat Pip...
    I keep my comforter right next to me...and sometimes I'll treat myself to a gift from QVC...
    I never feel quilty about anything I do...cause I'm in a battle with a real shrew...
    My hubby I've realized will never be mad if the house isn't perfect,as long as I'm not sad...I may be in pain...but there's a smile on my face cause my hubby was sent to me through God's good grace...
    So...the next time you feel the monster "Fibro" just make yourself comfy and let the housework go...
    You'll feel better tomorrow if you rest today...and the rest will help to chase "Fibro" away...
    I hope that my remedy has helped you see that there's no reason at all to feel guilty... ;-)
    Sending you gentle hugs and angel kisses...love...Pixie DuPree
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2002]
  9. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

how my body feels when I get up in the AM. Most days I have very low body pain and I'm fairly active, so I do my chores in the AM, then when the afternoon comes around I rest.
    I watch TV, then I'll read for a little while, Large Print Books are easy on my eyes, so I joined a Book Club that offers books by the Authors that I like.

I play Music when I lay down for my nap, usually a quite type of music, Josh Groban is my Latest favirote. The music turns it's self off when the tape is through, and I'm usually asleep by then. I sleep for 2-3 hours, then I get up again and I have the early evening and some of the Pm to do things in.

I do things around the house like laundry, or the dishes, vaccuming, But I do them one at a time, like Monday and Wed. are Vaccumming day's and 2 loads of laundry.
    Tues, and Thurs. I dust and Striaghten up the house, throw out papers, trash, clean the sinks, etc.

Fridays are ME day's, I do what I want, and Saturdays and Sundays are my days to be with my Son, if they have time, lol, otherwise I just take it easy, maybe do a little gardening, work on my Family Photo Project, I'm dividing years of Photos that my Mom left us. Six kids, and everyone wants their Picture's Now. lol
    The Funny thing is they all have this FMS and then other co-exisiting conditions, so they Should know it's gonna take me awhile.

I just don't push myself, I try to do something everyday, and if I don't feel up to it, I just say, Heck with it and go back to bed, that's ok too. I gave up feeling Guilty a couple of years ago, and just told everyone in my Life, this is how I am now, I didn't plan on it, and I am still me, just that I'm not able to keep up with you all anymore.

I know somedays I just have no Interest in Anything, I hate thoes day's, but they never last for very long, Play a little country and I get Happy again. Like right now, they are playing, "Who's Your Daddy" by Tobey Keith, so I'm chair dancing.

Hope you have a Painfree day,
    Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon
  10. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

First of all, thanks for letting us know when the court date is,,,I made a note of it.

Sounds like you do manage to get a lot accomplished. One of the hardest things I've had to learn (& still fail at sometimes) is learning to pace myself. I used to really push on my good days & I'd be so proud of myself..then spent next 2-3 recovering.

I've found the arthritis tips (I signed up for the daily tips) very appropriate for fms as well. The following might help you & others at the computer:

Tip of the Day for September 16, 2002

Practicing good ergonomics can be helpful in limiting arthritis pain and stiffness while at the office. When working at your computer you should try to maintain a comfortable position. Your upper body should be spaced 20 to 26 inches from the computer monitor, the top of which should be at an even line with the top of your head. Your arms should hang comfortably at your sides, with your elbows at a right angle, and your wrists relaxed while typing.
    (Source: Arthritis Foundation)

Published by Pro Health, Inc., ArthritisSupport.com is the Internet’s premier website for rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Featuring the latest news, treatment information, and community resources, our mission at ArthritisSupport.com is to empower you to take control of your health by becoming your complete source for health-related information and comprehensive treatment solutions.

11. fibolady

fibolady New Member

that was a great line. it is a struggle but the sooner you do and don't waste too much time doing it (like i did) the better off you will be to cope with this dd and feel better about yourself too.

pace, pace, pace! even on good days i try to go slow and pace or i know i will pay for it tenfold. on bad days, which i know immediately upon waking it is a slow go. i always do my bathing at night so in the am, i make it to the med cabinet and one cup of coffee and ususally get on the computer for an hour. by then the meds have kicked in and i can at least walk without terrible pain. i have a bed buddy (rice sock) i heat and will sit with and watch some am shows. i too like the room darker when i'm flaring. i might get the dishwasher unloaded, usually laundry is out, too much bending. a little walking around the house, little stretching, cleaning out a drawer, looking at magazines etc. then it might be for a long soak in a hot bath of epsom salts.

my husband will fix sandwiches for dinner and my daughter is very self sufficient too. sometimes this can last for a few days or weeks. as soon as the fatigue lifts and i feel better i start walking a little and doing a little more but have found if i push it too fast i just relapse.

hope this is helpful, you are not alone. i am just fortunate because i don't have to worry about working for income, that would be really hard and honestly don't know how some manage working even part time because our dd is so fickle. good one day bad the next.

warm regards, fibolady
    [This Message was Edited on 09/21/2002]
  12. Nana2Andromeda

Pixie....
    You sent kinds words, words that brought tears. I copy and pasted your message so I could print it out and put it next to my bed to read every day.
  13. Nana2Andromeda

Reading your answers always put a smile on my face. When I get back from Texas I too have a project to work on and that is to work on family pictures. Mama died 12/28/97 and daddy on 7/14/01...so it is time to go through all the pictures and pass them on to other family members. This thing with my granddaughter has had me so worked up in the last few months....Andromeda is 27 months old and I raised her 22 months and I just can't believe my soon to be ex daughter-in-law wants me totally out of her life now. She is angry at my son, why take it out on Andromeda and I. I just pray that the judge sees that it is in the best interest that my granddaughter I continue seeing each other even if it is just every summer. I am asking for 45 days every summer here in Ca. and a one week in Nov. and in March in Texas. Is that too?
    I will let you know what happens...
    Love ahd BIG HUGS to you all.....Donna