What is your experience using GABA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MicheleK, Jul 21, 2012.

1. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I was wondering what experiences people on this board have had who have tried GABA. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!
  2. FaithHopeCure

FaithHopeCure New Member

I weaned myself off of ambian while increasing the GABA supplements. I have been using GABA for 4 months now. I also use melatonin with it (Fibrosleep by PH). I use a capsule for the GABA because tablets are too hard on my stomache. I take two each of the 750 mg capsule and get 5 straight hrs of sleep most nights. If I wake up I am able to fall back asleep.

It's the only the thing that has helped me sleep other than Ambian.
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, very calming without sedating or drugging you.

But I think the amino acid l-theanine may be better - it helps the brain produce GABA and I've read it crosses the blood brain barrier easier than plain GABA. l-theanine can create a state of calm alertness, and in Japan many products are spiked with it. It is derived from green tea, although it is probably being produced synthetically now. The best form is called suntheanine, and many companies make this product.

The last few years I have developed a sensitivity to MSG. If I accidentally eat something with MSG at dinner, I have severe insomnia, cannot go to sleep, and have found that taking a rather large dose of l-theanine calms my brain down so I can sleep. On regular nights I take 200 mg. before bed, and if I have trouble sleeping in the middle of the night will take another 100 mg.

You could try GABA and l-theanine separately and see how you do with each one -

4. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

Thank you for that information. My friend feels the need for something to calm her, so I will tell her about the l-theanine. Hugs, MicheleK
  5. joanierav

joanierav Member

i took gaba 785 mil (i think) and it really worked, but sadly, it bothered my stomack big time, so had to stop it.

i did have a hangover the next day as well. i stuck with it for about 7 or 8 days. but i started to get intolerance as well. not working as well as the first 2 days or so. so another sleep med bit the dust for me.

and the beat goes on.