what is your favorite coffee substitute?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by caroleye, Dec 17, 2006.

1. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Dealing with GERD.............need to find an alternative to coffee.

Thanks & LIGHT**************carole
  2. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Are you wanting something like coffee for taste or caffeine. If your wanting a caffeine substitute, green tea doesn't have the same degree of negative caffeine effects like coffee (no shakes, or hyperness) and it is supposed to be healing for the stomach.
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Cafix.........whatta mix!

I'm off caffeine right now and would love to have something that "tasted" like coffee (no caffeine).

Stomach doesn't tolerate the green tea.

Thanks for your input.
  4. saddlebred

saddlebred New Member

I use herbal tea. I drink maderion orange (sorry about

spelling, it taste good but doesn't have caffine and you

drink it hot like coffee.
  5. marsupialmama

marsupialmama New Member

That's what I use, it has no caffeine but is wet and warm and brown like tea or coffee - I no longer drink either. I use stevia for sweetening too, a big advance from my three-spoons-of-sugar days.

I think it comes from Germany. We can get it in "regular" supermarkets here in Ontario.
  6. ladykew

ladykew New Member

I prepare a cup of de-caff instant hot chocolate and add a little instant decaff coffee. Delicious. Also good is make some decaff coffee, chill it, add milk, some sweetner or stevia, shake or blend with ice. Good cold, refreshing drink.

~~lew
  7. jake123

jake123 New Member

Right now my favorite is McDonalds decaf coffee with 3 creams and two sugars. I also like Sanka.
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

King Tut was buried with Kilos of licorice, I guess he didn't want to take chances that it wasn't there in the "next world"!

Chamomile is very soothing at night time. Healing for GERD.

I like Celestial Seasonings "Detox AM": Milk thistle, dandelion root...and a hint of vanilla. Wakes me up ever so slowly and cleanses the liver/ gallbladder too.

I also like coffee/chickory blends like "French Market" New Orleans, LA. Has caffiene but much lower quantity. chickory has fructosides (sp?) which is "food" for the healthy bacteria (flora). Its a stronger brew, so use 1/4~1/3 the amount.

For green tea, many get a stomach upset from tannic acid. A customer from Bangladesh taught me this trick:
    Dip the tea bag in hot water for 2~5 seconds.
    Discard water.
    Brew with more hot water as desired.

The tannic acid is very water soluable. It gets dissolved in the first dipping.

Decaf coffee uses a water process that removes ~85% of the caffiene. Methylene chloride removes ~99% but never completely evaporates. Decaf still has catechins, which is too much of a stimulant for some CFS people who have Adrenal Fatigue..ie. Decaf still may still raise your cortisol (stress hormone) levels up too high.
  9. Daisys

Daisys Member

Carole, I like celestial seasonings dessert tea called english toffee. I put stevia and cream in it and it tastes like a latte. No caffienne at all.
  10. gypsy101

gypsy101 New Member

Mine was due to too much aspirin. I healed the hole in my stomach by taking prilosec for two months and eating very small, easy to digest meals. I was then, able to go off the meds and am fine now. Much different than the gastro doc predicted... according to him, I'd be on meds for the rest of my life, always in pain. Of course, he didn't believe in Hpylori either... saying it is "rare"... ! Gerd is becoming a popular dx but really there is no reason to assume it's normal to "have Gerd".. it's a temporary condition in most cases. Btw, I found no substitute for coffee. I just avoided it for the time that I worked on healing my stomach. Good luck. It was a very low time in my health life when I "had Gerd". If you're interested, apples and honey are a very soothing, light snack when you're feeling bad from the gerd.
  11. California31

California31 New Member

Very...good stuff...you can get in in bulk...a little goes a long, long way.
  12. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Teechino.

Available at many health food stores. I like it better than coffee, actually.

Forebearance
  13. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

I just cut caffeine out of my diet, and also needed a coffee replacement. General Foods International Coffees makes a caffeine-free mix that you just add hot water to. I get the cocoa-flavored one. It's just OK, but still better than tea for me. You can get it at any supermarket.