What is Your Favorite Scripture?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by willow, Feb 7, 2002.

1. willow

willow New Member

I just finished my group prayer and was led to ask again. (No one replied when I asked before)

I know it's hard to just pick one. I have my all time favorite and then several others that I call on to get thru tough times, or to know how to help someone or whatever the need is at that time.

James is my favorite book, so no wonder it contains my favorite verse, which is:
    James 1:12
    Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Wow! That is powerful! To receive something 'eternal' for enduring a little while (life is but a vapor, it's here just for a while) on this earth. And it is 'promised' by The One who cannot lie!
    That has been my favorite for about 8 years!

What's Yours?

Love and Prayers, Willow
  2. Harmony

Harmony New Member

I have so many favorite verses, it is hard to choose but I would say the first one I memorized as a child. It is a wonderful promise of God's love for us.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave His only son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life."

Good idea, Willow!
    Harmony
  3. Esoteric

Esoteric New Member

The Lord is my Shepherd...

Esoteric
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

There are many Willow, but one stands out: 1Peter 3;15-16 'But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear,

(16)Having a good conscience, that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoer's, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good manner of life in Christ'.

My favorite book? Like you, its James! I have taught James so many times at church and home, and it never failed to make people really think through their way of Christian living! What a book!

Next to James, it would be the Book of Revelation, as I have studied and taught Prophecy for close to twenty five years. Its an never ending study, and you always find something new to go back and study some more, World Events today are parallel to Bible Prophecy! Its an exciting time to be alive and watch these events unfold.

Thanks for the question, its an inspring one.

God bless,

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Bunnylover

Bunnylover New Member

My Bible is hi-lited with so many favorites but have been reading Peter 1 and when I read this it seemed to fit in with my DD. In Chapter 4 verse one and two and verse 12 and 13. Therefore,since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude,because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin. and Dear friends , do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his golory is revealed. Terri
  6. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2002]
  7. maryt

maryt New Member

My favorite scripture is in Psalm 27:4-5

The one thing I ask of the Lord - the thing I seek most - is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord's perfections and meditating in his Temple. For he will conceal me there when troubles come; he will hide me in his sanctuary. He will place me out of reach on a high rock.

I just think about this when I feel rotten. I used to ask the Lord to cure me of my problems, but I have stopped doing that most times. It helps so much when I just BE in the presence of the Lord. We don't have to say anything. Just sit together. Often I imagine meeting him out in the desert at night. The stars are shining brightly in the night sky. It's quiet. His presence just comforts me.
  8. Shutterbug

Shutterbug New Member

"I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you."

" Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

These scriptures came to mind one time when my dad had 5 bypass surgery and I could hear my mom is the other room crying. I said a prayer and when I had finished these passages came to my mind and in a few minutes there were no more crys from my mom. The next morning we came out from our bedrooms and she told me how long it had been since she had knelt by the bed to pray. When she finished she told me of a quiet peaceful feeling that came over her and she was able to fall asleep. I know God hears our prayers and answers them in his way and his time. He knows what's best for us and we must trust in him for he knows us like no other and loves us like no other. These along with others are a comfort when going thru adversities. - Shutterbug-
  9. willow

willow New Member

It is very late (almost 2 a.m.)when I am 'planning' to go to WORK AT SCHOOL TOMORROW!!!
    I don't know if I will make it, but, I am going to give it my best shot! (I have to get up at 6a.m., and am used to sleeping 12 to 14 hours! Oh well, what's 10 hours sleep?)

Anyway, I guess I'm excited and couldn't sleep even after klonopin and benedryl! So,, I came to read, I wasn't gonna post, just lurk, til i got sleepy. I noticed someone else had added to this thread and I read them ALL over again! Each one touched my heart in a special way, and I don't want to take away from that at all, but, before I drift off, I just had to ask Shirl something. Why are you holding back on us???
    You used to teach prophecy and we are living in the end times now, why not post a mini-lesson each week??? What do you think? (don't forget to pray first!). Sorry, I'm used to doing that for my hubby!
    Oh yeah, I Peter is my 2nd fav. book, then Proverbs!
    I loved everyone's replies to this one!

Love and Prayers, Willow
  10. RoseTx

RoseTx New Member

Job1:20 & 21: Then Job arose and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped,
    And said, " Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.
    The second (remember I am LDS... from The Book of Mormon, don't mean to offend)Moroni 10:3-5: Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
    And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
    And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.
    And lastly (among many) James 1:5&6: If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and ubraideth not; and it shall be given him,
    But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed,.... Thanks for asking. Love and Hugs, Rose
    [This Message was Edited on 02/19/2002]
  11. BrownSuga

BrownSuga New Member

23rd numbers of psalm.... I love to recite these verse when i'm feeling down or afraid.

and the others is....corinthians 13 which speaks of love...
    4: Love is patient and kind.
    Love is not jealous or boastful or proud

5:Or rude. Love does not demand its own way.
    Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.

6: It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.

7: Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstances.

I was only going to do verse 4 and 5 but felt the need to go all the way to 7....without love Iam nothing!!

Love you guys!!

Brownsuga

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2002]