What is your heart rate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Michelle_NZ, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi folks

Since I've relapsed (about 7 months ago) my resting heart rate has incresed from about 70bpm, to about 95 - 100 bpm.

I just went for my daily 10 minute stroll - and by stroll, I mean a sloooow walk. When I got in my HR was up to 132, and it takes a good 20 mintues of laying flat on my back for it to go down again.

Have others noticed this?

Thanks, take care
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

My resting heart rate used to be 60. After I got West Nile virus, then a reactivation of Epstein-Barr and now severe anemia, it's 80 in bed and 100-140 if I start moving around. Anything exerting like climbing stairs shoots it up to 160.

I just had an echocardiogram and my ejection fraction is all the way at the upper limits at rest...not good. I'm reacting to all the iron supplements we're trying to use to treat the anemia, so for now I'm wearing a heart monitor that goes around the chest and has a readout on a wrist band so I can keep my activity low enough to keep from stressing my heart too much. (You can set it to have an alarm go off.)

It does help to do deep breathing to get it back down again quickly once I stop. Try breathing in 5 seconds and out 5 seconds, equivalent to 6 breaths a minute. This should slow it down much more quickly.

Jan
  3. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

My resting heart rate used to be around 70. For the past three months, it hasn't gone below 85 one time I measured it. It usually runs in the 95-110 zone.

Even more alarming is that my BP has gone from a lifetime normal of 110/70 to 160/110. I take high blood pressure medication (along with lots of other stuff), and it's down to 135/95 - not good.

nina and me
  4. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I've had problems with my heart rate going the opposite way. It used to be in the 70 range, and now is anywhere from 50 to 60. It's gone as low as 48 bpm, and that's when I can barely get off the couch. I also notice I get alot more palpitations than ever before.

Your heart rate can fluctuate significantly depending on various factors. 60 to 100 bpm is considered a normal resting heart rate. Anything below 60 is considered bradycardia. Above 100 bpm is tachycardia.

My suggestion is that if you are having any new symptoms, especially if cardiac-related, talk to your doctor about it. Now, if I would just take my own advice, lol.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

My doctor has told me not to worry about it - but she says that every time I see her with new symptoms. The last 6 months have been quite a big change for me with lots of new things going on. Even though she says dont worry, I like to confirm with other people (you guys!) that what I'm going through is "normal" for CFS / FM.

I had a coffee yesterday and it felt like my heart was going to pop right out of my chest - it was like it till late afternoon - no more coffee for me!

Thanks everyone
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 07/24/2006]
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

down and keep it at a more consistent beat.

One doctor told me that he believes that we all have a certain amounts of beats allotted to us in our lives. Fast heart rates use up those allotted beats more quickly. That 's why I take a Toprol at night and it really helps.

I have noticed that food makes my heart race sometimes which means that I'm allergic to that food. The problem is that I'm not just eating one food when that happens.

Sometimes my whole body is moving and trembling. I guess I'll have to start paying attention to what I'm eating and how it affects my heart rate.

If coffee is making your heart race like that you may be sensitive to it and are better off without it. I know it's so difficult for us to give up coffee because we are in a vicious cycle where it helps us get going.
  7. kriket

kriket New Member

Toprol XL. I have been taking it for about 4-5 yrs. now. My heart rate would beat about 130 all the time. The toprol xl keeps it lowered to normal about 80-90 beats per min. Fast heart rate is no fun, it will make you feel tired a lot.

Kriket
  8. gingercat77

gingercat77 New Member

Hi Michelle

That was one of the first symptoms I had when I first got CFS (before I knew I had it!)- I ended up going to casualty a couple of times thinking I was having a heart attack! Mine can go as high as 140 at bad times. If I try to do too much or push myself, my resting HR would be the same as yours. A whole day in bed is the only thing to bring it back to normal. Ive been told by my GP that it isnt dangerous though, but I dont believe a word my GP says- considering they were treating me for recurrent urinary infections and gave me 7 doses of antibiotics before a urinary consultant told me the truth! Now they have prescribed me cipralex and "left me to rot"! But Im determined to live and get back to some sort of normality!
    Do you go through periods of well being and relapse? How do you cope?

Take care
    Gingercat77
    (uk)
  9. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

Hi.. I used to have periods of being well, and short relapses that would last 1 - 2 weeks. For the most part I was leading a relatively normal life - working,going out, walking after work each night.

I tried really hard to look after myself, - stopped drinking, mostly no late nights, loads of supplements etc, but a viral infection got me again and a year ago some of the CFS symptoms started coming back, and the relapses were happening more and more often, until March this year when I had to stop work completely.

Since then I've been ill every day - I havent felt normal for so long.

The funny heart rate started about 6 months ago, but it was intermittent at first, but for the last 4 months its been really high (for me anyway).

Crazy huh? Like you, I'm desperate to get back to a normal life, but I also think that I need to accept where I am at, so I can move on and stop grieving my old life. Easier said than done I know!

Take care
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2006]
  10. mlrarr

mlrarr New Member

Mine stays at around 120-150
    High Uh? I also have High Blood Pressure. I take Toprol XL now and it stays around 85-100. My doc says we have to save those heart beats you only have so many LOL. I feel so much better now that I started taking meds...
    Melinda
  11. gingercat77

gingercat77 New Member

I wouldnt worry too much about your heart rate, mine can go absolutely mental- Ive ended up in casualty with it at 140bpm!!! When resting it is around 100...
    That was one of the very first symptoms I got with CFS.
    I was just like you too- went walking after work every night, really into gardening etc, loved shopping! But you are right, you can't grieve for your old life, it will only tear you apart. The best thing is to focus on getting better, that's what Im doing. The only thing that is keeping me going is the general consensus that symptoms do improve, even if it takes time, even if there are relapses.
    Hey who knows, maybe in our lifetime they will find out what causes this DD, maybe even find a cure....

hugs
    Ginger

12. Methos

Methos New Member

My "resting" heart rate is always around 110. My primary care sent me to a cardiologist about a year ago, who said my heart was fine, but that "the illness had re-set my heart rate." He said it wasn't dangerous, but to avoid strenuous exercise.
  13. gingercat77

gingercat77 New Member

Because Ive just been checked out by a cardiologist in the last month too! Although I hadnt been diagnosed with CFS at this stage, he didnt seem concerned at my high heart rate and actually discharged me from his clinic!

so maybe we can stop worrying! :)

Ginger