What is your plan for Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by baanders, Sep 17, 2008.

1. baanders

baanders New Member

I plan to join a local club that has a large glass dome over the water. I would walk in the water while it was sunny.

Last year, I fell into a deep SAD depression and I can't let it happen again.

I cannot tolerate anti-depressants. They throw me into a bipolar mania.

2. lonna1

lonna1 New Member

I live in the Northwest where very little light gets through during the winter months. Have been here for five years. Tried the 'light box' but it did not work. After finding out why this happens, it's a long story but the short version is that the body (brain) goes into a 'jetlag'. The only way to fix the problem (for me) is to take Melatonin sublingual. I take 2.5mg tablets every night at about 9:00 PM. I take two. Gradually my brain gets on tracks and stays there. Have been doing this for about two years and it's still working. Hope this helps. I buy the Melatonin from Prohealth.
  3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

which she says helps her a lot. I lay on my living room couch in full sun for a couple of hours in the afternoons (whenever there's sun), which helps me especially since nobody can see in and my skin can be as fully exposed as my temperature-sensing system can handle. Also I sit on my porch on the sunny side for a few minutes no matter how cold it is, as the fresher air makes me feel better. And I open my windows for a short while to air out the house whenever the temp goes above freezing. It all helps.

I have been on Vit D for years, too, up to 1000 mg/day in mid-winter and half that in summer. This year I was finally able to go off it during the summer completely without sinking (in fact got headaches if I took it), so I guess my deficit was finally filled. To be on the safe side, I'm starting back with a very low dose (100 mg/day) this month and easing it upward as the days shorten.