What is your sleep pattern and what has help deep sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by place, Apr 27, 2006.

1. place

place New Member

Hi,

I have read all of the past posts on deep sleep and I was wondering what people have tried and did it put you in deep sleep.

I am taking 75mg nortriptyline (Pamalor) and it will knock me out for 4 hours or so and then I wake up every hour or so and then go back to sleep until I need to get up for the day.

What has been your experience with sleep drugs, has anyone had a sleep study while on a particular drug to know if you were at stage 4.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

place
  2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Hello,
    Right now I am on Ambien CR. I like it because it really keeps me asleep but when I have to wake up around 7am or earlier I don't feel groggy at all.

However!!! I am thinking of stopping it because my fuzziness is worse. I am having a lot of trouble with my memory and just basic little things like that. I don't know if it is the Ambien or not but I know I don't like this side effect.

Anyway, hope you find something that helps!

kate
  3. sherri_baby

sherri_baby New Member

I am taking Lexapro at night. I don't know yet if it is helping because I have only been taking it about three weeks. I have heard good things about it though. (Not necessarily for sleep though)
    I get between 4 to 8 hours of sleep at night but I never remember dreaming and from the way I feel I don't think I am getting the level of sleep that I need. I am still trying to get to the right doctors in order to get all the treatment that I need but it is such a long process.

God bless,
    Sherri

My doctor has taken me off the Lexapro because it wasn't working for me for my depression or sleep. [This Message was Edited on 05/05/2006]
  4. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

2 - 3 a.m., and can't get to sleep again until it is time to get up. I have taken several things including tricyclic antidepressants, benzos, 5-htp for a short time, benadryl. Nothing left me feeling refreshed. It was like fake sleep.

A couple things have helped, but not while I had to get up for work. I think light excercise in the morning may help. Sometimes a warm bath right before bed. I have an electric blanket which I use sometimes. I know many people don't like them. When I wake up in the night I get up and play at the computer, work a crossword puzzle online etc. for an hour, possibly more. I can usually get back to sleep after that break, and now that I am not working I can sleep in in the morning. When I was working nothing at all would help. I would get so strung out, sleep deprived, would end up in tears and could never seem to catch up.

I try to go to bed about the same time every night, but whenever I feel I need to rest during the day I do -- contrary to most advice I've seen on insomnia. Feel much better this way, but I realize this erratic schedule doesn't fit some lifestyles. I live alone and do not work.

I've heard calcium and magnesium help. Right now I'm trying to get in touch with exactly how I feel and am not taking any supplements or medication. Trying to eat healthy.
  5. place

place New Member

That those who start getting true sleep eventually get better. I wonder if there is anyone who has gotten better but still struggled with their sleep?
  6. bossco

bossco New Member

I had a sleep test run, 9 years ago, determined I didn't sleep well, was put on vivactil which had disasterous results, eventually found that o.t.c. sleep aid of 25m. works fine. Sleep is still not refreshing, but I sleep thru MOST nights. best wishes for a good nite's sleep
  7. place

place New Member

I had read somewhere that OTC and some prescriptions such as ambien actually prevents one from reaching stage 4 sleeping. Has anyone else heard this?
  8. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

and they said I didn't get any stage 4 sleep. I sleep uninterrupted for as much as 12-14 hrs a night. I have recently had trouble falling asleep but not staying asleep. My doc says sleep meds can put you to sleep but don't get you into a stage 4 sleep. He claims other than the date rape drug nothing will put you into deep sleep. So I'm really confused over other people getting into a stage 4 sleep with prescriptions????AMY
  9. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I take 100 mg of 5HTP and a multi-vitamin with magnesium and malic acid. I sometimes take a Xanax to help me fall asleep. I sleep all night and achieve REM stage.

I used to take Ambien and that helped, but I'm trying to eliminate as many prescription drugs as possible. That is why I switched to 5HTP and Magnesium.

Good Luck

Lolalee
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

When do you take the 5HTP and the magnesium with malic acid?
  11. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have been eating the Morning Shake and taking 1 ZMA about an hour before bed. I don't remember many dreams and am sleeping better, but not as well as I would like.

I was already taking Xanax, which reduced the nastiness of the dreams but not their number.
  12. Musica

Musica New Member

and there is deep sleep. The two aren't necessarily synonymous. Even if you sleep all night, you can still wake up exhausted because you haven't gotten Stage 4 or if you have sleep apnea and have a lot of super brief brain awakenings that you don't even remember. The only things I have heard of that actually help you achieve and stay in Stage 4 - which is the trick with a lot of FMers - are things like dopamine agonists (Mirapex and the other one, both used with Restless Legs). Amitriptyline is an anti-d that is often used for sleep in FM, too.
  13. srh

srh New Member

I have been taking Mirapex for about 5 years for my RLS. But it has never helped me sleep. In fact, I take it during the day now b/c it is supposed to help FM.

I take 8 mg Zanaflex-2 mg Mirapex-Calcium and sometimes an Ativan to sleep. It works pretty well, but still feel sh.. and exhausted.
  14. place

place New Member

How long have you been getting good sleep and how much improvement have you had?
  15. place

place New Member

How long have you been getting good sleep and how much improvement have you had?
  16. sop28

sop28 New Member

It's weird. I had a sleep study while on trazadone, with and without c-pap. Without the machine, I did get quite a bit or stage 4 sleep(slill fatigued) but had 97 arousals and 2 awakenings. With the c-pap I spent 50% in stage 2, had no REM sleep, 210 arousals, and 17 awakenings. I was also having hypoapneas(which is < in airflow by 30-80%) during REM.

I had no hypoapneas with the c-pap. My doctor wanted to try me on a trial of c-pap but my insurance wouldn't cover it because I apparently wasn't bad enough!

I can't afford to rent or buy the machine so I guess that's that. I will be getting a new doctor next month and maybe she will be willing to fight the insurance company for me. We'll see.

Later
  17. place

place New Member

Have you had any improvements since you stared getting more sleep?
  18. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

a shake helps you sleep?is this a shake y9u drink in the morning? how does it work?
  19. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I take 5HTP at bedtime with grape juice (don't know why, but Dr. recommends taking it with grape juice). I take 2 doses of magnesium, one with breakfast and one with dinner.
  20. AnnJ

AnnJ New Member

I have recently gone a new Dr and he has given me Flexeril which puts me in Stage 4 sleep. The Amytriptyline and Trazadone were doing nothing for me!
    AnnJ