What is ZMA?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by donnadb, Feb 10, 2003.

1. donnadb

donnadb New Member

Can anyone tell me what ZMA is?? I've had fibro for quite a while; however, I just discovered this board. I have never heard of this being mentioned on any of the other boards that I visit. I desperately need sleep and I am assuming that it has something to do with improving sleep???

:) Donna
  2. Debbi

Debbi New Member

donna - i have never heard of this however, investigation never hurts - lets us know what you find out
  3. loonie

loonie New Member

Hi Donna:

ZMA is a nutritional supplement containing Zinc, Magnesium Aspertate and Vit B-6. Resident expert on it is Mel. He recommends using a brand with the trademark SNAC. It has helped some with achieving Stage 4 sleep.

However, it did not help me, but I did try it because it is just a supplement and was relatively inexpensive for a trial run. Plus it had helped others.

If you type in ZMA in the search messages area at the top of each page here, you will find a wealth of info on it.

Welcome to the board, loonie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Mel,

There is no doubt in my mind that the ZMA helps with pain. It is during Stage IV sleep that our bodies repair themselves. Magnesium is what the body uses for muscle repair. This is why ZMA is so highly valued by body builders who suffer tiny muscle rips when lifting weights. The ZMA repairs these rips and restores muscle tissue.

Love, Mikie
  5. donnadb

donnadb New Member

Hmmm, Guess I'll have to give this one a try.. I've tried EVERYTHING else! The only problems that I can forsee is 1) I have LOTS of trouble getting TO sleep at ALL to even think about stage 4 sleep and 2) your mention of possible IBS symptoms. I have SEVERE IBS already.. but, I'm gonna give it a shot. Thanks for such insightful info!!

:) Donna