What Just Happened To Me???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Jul 3, 2009.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I was sitting at the computer perusing idle stuff when all of a sudden I got this instantaneous stinging toxic smell and "zap" in the middle of my left nostril...or at least I think it was in my nostril.

It smelled like ammonia.

It was a strong smell and zap feeling.

It kind of shot up a little and then dissipated after about 3 seconds.

It scared the heck out of me.

I've never had anything like this.

No chemicals were ANYWHERE in the house. I am in a very airy kitchen with no one around and no cooking since this morning.

I started a new medicine regimine of daily 380 MGS of aspirin and beta blockers just yesterday morning.

So far, haven't felt anything with these. I also don't take any other meds at this time.
    I had two slices of deli ham with some corn chips about 10 to 15 mintues before this happened and nothing else?

Please...any thoughts? Kinda shook up here.
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

Maybe it was. Sure scared me.
  3. nink

nink New Member

Some here have talked about feeling jolts like electricity in various parts of their body. I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I just entered "zaps" in the search box, then "content" and a lot of posts came up. Probably you'll find something similar to your experience.
  4. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

I started a thread a while back entitled "Leaky Brain Syndrome -- Ammonia Buildup". I'll paste my initial post from that thread below. If it sounds interesting, you can access the entire thread at:

Regards, Wayne

I INITIALLY POSTED THIS ON MARCH 3, 2009 .........

Hi All,

I just ran into an article that may be of interest to some on this board. In it Dr. David Jernigan mentions how a buildup of ammonia in the body can cause many of the symptoms we with CFIDS experience. This buildup can be caused by Lyme infections, but also by other means.

I believe Dr. Jernigan is a chiropractor, and uses various types of alternative testing and treatment modalities in his practice. I know many here would have no interest in this type of approach, so you may not want to explore what he has to say. Wanted you to know right up front so you don't waste your time if this is not your orientation.

I am just now getting started on trying to figure out how to start treating myself since testing positive for Lyme last fall. I'm hoping some method other than antibiotics will end up working for me.

Best, Wayne

Lyme Leaky Brain Syndrome

Although many people have heard of Leaky Bowel Syndrome (LBS), few have heard of (Lyme) Leaky Brain Syndrome (LLBS). I coined this term when I became aware of the damaging effects on the blood-brain barrier (BBB) from the accumulation of Lyme-induced ammonia in the brain. Ammonia in the brain is a primary cause of neurological and psychological hypersensitivity. Ammonia alters the permeability of the BBB, enabling larger molecules, such as common amino acids, to cross.

When these random molecules touch the brain tissues, they set up hypersensitivities, otherwise known as cerebral allergies. The symptoms of these cerebral allergies are unique and depend on what part of the brain is being affected. Ammonia-induced Leaky Brain Syndrome is one of the primary causes of multiple chemical sensitivities, cognitive dysfunction, chronic fatigue syndrome, and a myriad of other chronic conditions.

There are only a few ways ammonia can become a problem in the brain. Severe liver disease is a well-recognized producer of global or systemic ammonia. No one knew, until I discovered quite unexpectedly, that Lyme spirochetes could cause ammonia to accumulate in localized areas of the brain.

The full article can be accessed at:

5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

We have have leaky gut syndrome and leaky brain syndrome in CFS too. The same mechanisms are happening to our BBB that this doc describes. There are also major connections between the gut and the brain. This is just one of the things going wrong with our bodies. This phenomenon could help explain why Lyme and CFS and FMS all share similar symptoms. No wonder we feel so lousy and no, this isn't going to show on the outside.

[This Message was Edited on 07/06/2009]