WHAT KIND OF CHAIR?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovabuga, Aug 31, 2003.

1. lovabuga

lovabuga New Member

WHAT KIND OF CHAIR DOES EVERYONE SIT IN AT THE COMPUTER? MY BACK AND HIPS HURT SO BAD WHEN I SIT AT THE COMPUTER THAT I BEGINNING TO LURK AROUND FOR ABOUT 5-10 MINUTES THEN GO TO BED.I NEED SUGGESTIONS TO GET COMFY`ANYIDEAS?

LOVABUGA
  2. NanceZ

NanceZ New Member

i've often wondered the same thing. I use a regular desk chair but need to get something that works better for my aching shoulders and back

Hope some folks have some good ideas.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

It took a couple of chairs before I found one that I can live with.

I found an old executive office chair in a thrift store that is highbacked, with arm rests, its very confortable. I also have a Homedics heating/vibrator that fits on the back/seat of the chair. it has big casters so it moves easily.

I also have an adjustable foot rest for my feet. You can find them at Office Depot, it also helps support my back and keeps me sitting up straight.

The first chair I bought is a dud, it gave me more pain that sitting on a kitchen chair! Its brand new and useless to me.
    Those new style of office chairs just don't have the support for my upper back pain. You need to find an old chair, they are much more confortable.

I also have one of those 'drawer' things for the monitor to sit on, which makes it more eye level for me.

Took awhile to get it all together, plus I am lefthanded, so I keep the side drawer on the desk open with a couple of books on it to support my arm for the use of the mouse (most of these desks come with a righthand support for the arm!).

Good luck finding what is confortable for you.

Shalom, Shirl

4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Approach the managers of the stores you potenially will make a purchase and explain your situation. Ask if you could return the chair after X amount of days if it does not work out and try another chair. They can feel wonderful in the store but bring them home in front of your computer and it just does not work. Years ago I did this, now I have to find a new store to work with me as that one went out of business. Had to do the same thing at work.
    Good luck. Fondly, June
  5. adageek

adageek New Member

I agree that the older executive hi-back chairs are best. I found one at Office Depot about five years ago that tilts backward, elevating the knees and locks in place, but the newer ones now do not seem to have tilt capability at all !! In my opinion the people who design office chairs have no appreciation for people with widespead muscular pain. In my livingroom I use a 20-year old Encornes(spelling?) Stressless recliner, and designed and built myself a recliner compatable tilt-top desk that can hold a laptop computer. An alternative is to sit in a recliner with a large bed pillow in your lap and place your laptop or keyboard on it.
  6. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

we have a good office chair with armrests and a high back.
    it swivels and tilts.
    a footstool is also helpful for me.
    if I pull up close to the desk,get my feet up and tilt back
    a bit it takes pressure off of my hips and lower back.
    one of those contour pillows for around your neck may help
    or you can use a rolled up towel behind your neck or lower
    back or both.
    I also find I cannot use a wrist support with the mouse.
    Makes my hand and arm ache.
    sometimes it is just impossible to get comfy no matter what.
    hope you find the right fit for you.
    Pammy
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have a big comfortable office chair in my little home office, but even that gets uncomfortable after a while. I bought a laptop and outfitted it with wi-fi which allows me to use it anywhere in my condo and even over at the pool. I can sit in bed and use it. It's wonderful. The cost for the wi-fi add ons was $169. I learned about this from Jo Ellen on the Chit Chat Forum.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]