What Kind of Doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nana2Andromeda, Jan 4, 2003.

  1. Nana2Andromeda

    Nana2Andromeda New Member

    I have notice on this board that a lot of you go to a Rheumatologist. Do they believe in FM?
    Should I see find one for my FM? I see a doctor who specializes in chronic pain.

  2. obrnlc

    obrnlc New Member

    hi donna. my chronic pain man (physiatrist--hate that word, sound to much like psychiatrist!) referred me to the rheumatologist at my request, although he (pain doc) is very kind and compassionate, not real up on fibro yet--specializes more in sports injuries and stuff. We are learning together, though, and he researches alot about fibro because of me. Anyhow, the rheum. was OK--wanted to know who prescribed guai, where did i get the idea, how was it working. He felt i was on too low of a dose, increased it, gave me muscle relaxants, (greatly helped--especially the "twitching"), and recommended better sleep patterns, prescribed trazadone for that. He does not believe in narcotic pain meds and wanted me to be off of them in 3 months when i next see him. Problem is, on the right dose of guai, pain has become soooooooo severe that my pain doc now has me on duragesic patches and i can't imagine being on guai without them, i would be totally unable to function at all due to pain. So, stick with the pain doc, but a rheumy is also helpful, fibro is actually one of their specialties. Good luck! Laurie