What Kind Of Heating Pad Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jun 22, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Help!

My lifesaving heating pad broke for the second time.
    It is a sunbeam. The first one just stopped working, so I went and bought another: another break.

Mine was an extra large (biggest one I could find) and very warm. What kind of heating pad do you use?

Suggestions?

thanx
    NyroFan
  2. hambys97

hambys97 New Member

My chiro said that using heat would actually make things worse, especially if there is inflammation and infection. Just a thought.
  3. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I use a non-electric one ... I have a heating bag that I made out of rice and flannel cloth. You know those trendy scented eye pillows and such at the store? THe ones with some lavender in them? My heating bag is kinda like that, only bigger. And cheaper.

I stick it in the microwave for a minute or two and it comes out all toasty warm and keep the heat for quite awhile! It feels really good because it has some weight to it, so I can lie down and stick it on my abdomen and it gently presses into belly!

4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi NyroFan .. I use one constantly .. I have 4 screws and a bone graft in my lower back and I need relief from muscle tension .. and a prep for my yoga routine .. so they can say it isn't good for you until they turn blue !
    I think mine is a Sunbeam too .. it is king size "quilted" meaning it has a permanent cover,so it doesn't bunch up on me .. it has a safety "turn off" after 2 hours ..
    I'm in Canada .. but I bought it at WalMart .. for about $29 .. it HELPS !
    Good Luck with finding one that works for you !
    Joy : )
  5. kimfibro

kimfibro New Member

mine's a sunbeam as well. it's actually getting old, maybe 6 years but that thing hasn't failed me yet.

i've also got 3 different types of microwave heating pads: one medium oblong, one medium square, and my FAVORITE is the chenille covered one for the neck. it's U-shaped and really covers all around. in winter, i walked around with it around my neck so much it was like my indoor scarf!!

got the U shaped one at TJ Maxx. for only $7.99 and it's my best fm related tool yet. and lavendar scented.
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have two kinds. The first is a sunbeam too I think but it also has a gel pack with it so you can freeze it too.
    I use that when I need heat that last longer.

The other is one of those grain bags (or whatever is in them). I use that if I need to rotate hot and cold, or just need a shorter duration pad.

Lately, I've been having problems with neuropathy and I don't find that heat or cold helps with it. That pain sucks!

Regards,

Eileen
  7. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

and I don't know how I would live some days without it. I have had it for only about 5 years now and no problems with it. The moist heat is great!
    Kim
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Moist heat is supposedly better...........I just use the old fashioned "waterbottle", or the moist heat pad.

LIGHT***********carole
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

it makes inflammation worse. I use ice packs for no more than 15 minutes at a time.

Thanks,

Karen