What kind of iron pill do you

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, May 19, 2008.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

reccomend? I know I need to be careful so it doesn't upset my stomach, but I'm not sure what to buy.

Any help?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would also like this information.
  3. efly

efly New Member

A good one is Red IRON.. Its liquid... Its also a good idea to improve the Gut , you will increase the chances of absorbing the iron. eg probiotic[eg VSL3#]

cheers Efly
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am also interested in trying the probiotics. I just started eating the yogurt with them. I do not know if that is enough to take.

I asked my BIL, a doctor, and he recommened, stool softeners, with iron, but they do not agree with me.

Can you get the liquid form at most drugstores?

Thanks for the info.

[This Message was Edited on 05/19/2008]
  5. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Has your Dr. told you to take iron? I ask this because if your hemoglobin is normal, taking too much iron can be bad for you. If you are past menopause (sorry, not sure what your age is), and your hemoglobin is fine, you probably shouldn't take any. I would have testing done before I took any iron to make sure I needed it.

Take care, Sally
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I also have had low ferritin. It is now up to 28 but I thought the new guidelines are 50. My rheumy said 28 is normal. I asked my brother in law who is an oncologist/hematologist and he also said 50 as did my rheumy in Chicago.

Do you know what is considered normal? My ferritin did get down to 15 at one times. I understand that it is a reading for stored iron but do not get the connection to taking iron when your blood test is normal. Does ferritin keep you from being anemic.

I think I need to research this but would appreciate any imput. Maybe I should start a new thread.

7. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Hi..I am looking for iron for myself. Can you tell me when you added it did you suffer constipation. I have alway's been constipated. I just got my bowels working and don't want this side effect?

Thanks for you imput
    ~ GigglePoet
  8. efly

efly New Member

Bead lady
    My ferritin has been as low as 5.... I felt dreadful... I had iron infusions[6 in the last few years].... I tried many oral preps..at that time the infusions seemed to be the only thing that worked for me.[ferritin came up to 200]...... a friend found red iron really works... maybe you can google it ?I seemed to feel the best with a ferritin at 80........The tablets only constipated me.... I find the vsl3# very good. Maybe you have a problem with Gut parasites ? a possible reason why your not absorbing ?.. Do you eat meat ? A difficult problem I know... work on your gut... It all helps
    Good luck
  9. mezombie

mezombie Member

There's a medical journal article that links low normal ferritin levels with RLS. For that reason, my doc recommended iron supplementation.

He suggested Slo-Fe. I never have any problems with constipation or stomach upset on it.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/21/2008]
  10. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I agree and I do think that you are at the low end if it is even normal. I tend to think but I am not a doctor that the 50 is going to be the new normal, what ever that is!! LOL

Mezombie, low ferritin and RLS. I have RLS.

11. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI Mezombie,
    where do you get that? My levels are at 22 just two points from abnormal.

12. mezombie

mezombie Member

is available without a prescription. I buy it at my local CVS drugstore. It's in the vitamin and mineral section of the store. I would think any chain drugstore would carry it.

Oh, and taking it with Vitamin C helps with absorption.

GA, I'm trying to wean myself of Mirapex as I take it only for RLS and hope Slo-fe, magnesium, and vit. c will be an adequate substitute.

If you need the journal article I referred to, I may be able to dig it up.

I mean, I know it's somewhere in some pile of paper, LOL.[This Message was Edited on 05/21/2008]
  13. tansy

tansy New Member

But was fortunate to see a doctor who practices Orthomolecular Medicine more than two decades ago.

I was tested for all the deficicencies that can contribute to RLS was was positive (ie deficient) in all of them; supplementation led to a resolution of my RLS so I hope Mezombie's protocol works just as well.

Health stores often sell more tolerable forms of iron; and as Mezombie pointed out increasing vit C should help to increase iron absorption too.

tc, Tansy
  14. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I take a capsule called Poly Iron. My Dr. gave me a prescription for it the first time I needed it, now, per Dr., I ask for it from the pharmacist. I get it non-prescription but it's behind the counter.

Of course, I'm not sure about constipation because I try to eat foods high in fiber, which I must be doing something right. Just FYI.

Hope this helps,

15. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I just offer this for what it's worth.

Amy Yasko thinks that direct supplementation with iron is a bad thing because it feeds microbes.

She prefers lactofferin.

There is a terrific discussion of iron and ferritin on her website.. www.ch3nutrigenomics.com... (moderators: this is not a commercial site).

One poster, theresa, has posted some very interesting literature on iron on one thread.

It's a must-read.

16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Will be anxious to hear how the supplements have worked.

I have taken, gosh I can not think of the name, maybe magnesium and other supplements which did nothing. The iron did help when I was anemic before a hysterectomy.

Unfortunately, my RLS is pretty severe. Clonazepam and Trazadone, really help and I would like to try the Mirapex for both the RLS and the pain.

I would be interested if you noticed a decrease in pain while on the Mirapex. Evidently, it can help some.

Are you getting off of it because of side effects?

THanks for the tips.

17. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Thanks Girls..Great information. I will be looking and getting on something soon!

God bless
  18. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

Where can I find the lactoferrin?

19. GigglePoet

GigglePoet New Member

HI, I tried to get into that site and for some reason it wasn't excepting my information. I sure would like to read those articles. Would there be any way you could cut and paste???

Thanks GigglePoet
  20. mezombie

mezombie Member

According to a sleep study (during which I did *not* sleep, but pretty much tossed around), I have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, or PLMD, while sleeping. PLMD is a kissing cousin to RLS. I was prescribed Mirapex because of the study's finding.

I was hoping the Mirapex would indirectly give me more daytime energy as it was supposed to help me get quality of sleep. It did not.

I wasn't taking it for pain relief, but it didn't do anything for the myofascial pain I have. However, there was a discussion on this board last year about FM and Mirapex. I think a lot of FMers are seeing benefits.

I'm trying to wean myself of Mirapex because I'm not convinced I have PLMD. I'm also a bit scared of this drug because I tried to go off it once before. Apparently my doctor's schedule was too fast for me, because I had some very disturbing withdrawal side effects.

Your situation sounds very different from mine. I do have some RLS, which is why I'm trying the ferritin, vitamin C, and magnesium. I also don't have FM.

I would suggest you do a search on this site for Mirapex under title and content for feedback. You may also want to look up the drug's profile, side effects and all.

If you do decide to try Mirapex for your RLS and FM, I would recommend taking the lowest dose possible for at least a month. If that is ineffective, slowly increase the dose.

Mirapex is not a drug that is easy to come off of, in my experience.