what kind of neuro symptoms do most of you have?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tslanker, Aug 20, 2003.

1. tslanker

tslanker New Member

I just started having the neuro symptoms of fibro and just wondered what others experience?
  2. rasyte

rasyte New Member

I was about to ask the same question. I have tingling in my hands, feet and legs (a lot), muscle twitching all over the body, burning pain in eyes (happens rarely and last only seconds).
  3. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I'm not sure if this is neuro or not, but here's what I've been experiencing:

shakiness
    muscle twitching in legs, face
    tingling/numbness in face, hands, feet, and sometimes limbs
    weak knees
    phantom burning sensations
    itching

You reminded me, I have that sudden sharp pain in the eyes, too.[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2003]
  4. LADYBUG2

LADYBUG2 New Member

My hands started falling asleep,"anytime" I layed down to rest, then at night & laying down to rest my hands began to woke me up, as the numbness was beginning to go all the way up to my elbow,BOTH ARMS!! And started like shooting pains up to my shoulders.

My shoulders would hurt sooooooooooo, bad, which ever side I was on,,I didn't sleep well anyway,and I tryed to be very carefull how I positioned myself,due to some nights, I would wake up with TERRIABLE PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS, AND IT WOULD TAKE AT LEAST AN HOUR for my pain medication to take affect.

Then my feet started. In the mornings when I would get out of bed, the bottoms of my feet,were sooooo very sore,I was beginning
    to limp for several hours.

A friend of mine who has Fibro, mentioned that I should ask my doctor to "try" some Neurontin, as it was helping her NURO problems.

It has helped me so much.!! I am not completly pain free,in theses areas but much better by 75%

I also have all of the other symptoms of Fibro.
    Severe Fatigue,just going grocery shoping, I only put the cold foods away,and "must lay down and rest"
    Legs are weak at times,,and sometimes I fall.
    Neck & Shoulders seem to be in knots, all of the time,etc

And I have 2 buldging disks in my Lumbar area, L-4 & L5
    And I have Epidurials done, to relieve the pain from these disks, every now and then. But this is not a CURE for the disks, and I know I will have to deal with them in another
    way, soon. I am considering the New Pain pump, that is placed into that area, of the disks, before I try any surgery.

Might be worth a try, the neurontin....Some here can't tolerate it. I take 300 mg at dinner and at bedtime.
    LADYBUG2

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2003]
  5. wle

wle New Member

you get just before you have a cramp in your muscle? I have that feeling in my feet almost all the time - just like a cramp "charlie horse" is coming but the cramp never comes. I also get the shakes sometimes. WLE
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The symptoms you all mention are what I consider to be part of the physical symptoms of fibro. I guess they are neuro also. I found those symptoms like burnign and tingling of extremeties,etc. faded away as I had the illness longer and longer, except for the sore foot bottoms,which I get after every treadmill exercise routine.

The symptoms I have had the past few yrs. that I am calling "Neuro" are : A very short temper, loss of short and long term memory, change in personality and even in long held opinions, inability to do many things at once like I used to without having my brain freeze, periods of extreme irritability and hyperness, an overwhelming desire to isolate myself from people, even ones I like, and constant daydreaming about living in a cabin in the woods all alone and how wonderful it would be...I no longer answer the phone and I don't call anyone. If they want to communicate they must use e-mail. I don't miss anyone, and am even irritated when my husband comes home at night. I love him, but I'd still rather be alone.

Doesn't anyone else have these symptoms? I thought this was pretty common in the "over ten years club".

Klutzo
  7. kfsunshine

kfsunshine New Member

I have chronic Fatigue syndrome and I have had the tingling everywhere, arms falling asleep at rest, bad headaches, and a vibrating sensation (felt mostly in my chest but sometimes everywhere), sometimes even a buzzing sensation in my fingers and toes...
  8. isee

isee New Member

Had all the symptoms you described. It's those neurological symptoms that are the most discouraging - and debilitating!

Sometimes I wonder if this is how lobotomized patients felt back when those operations were routine for psychiatric illness.

I despair over the brain fog, more than anything else. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be able to really read again. Every relapse I've had - and, I've had four in 19 years - the brain gets worse.

Anna

9. tslanker

tslanker New Member

My whole body trembles, not visibly but inside. I'ts like I feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. I also feel light-headed, but not to the point where I'm going to pass out, I almost feel spacey. I am also have problems with my co-ordination, it seems I'm off balance a lot. Does this sound typical? I've had fibro for 10 years now. Dr. thinks some of this is anxiety/panic disorder.
  10. Danett

Danett New Member

My neuro symptoms just started in January.

burning skin
    muscle twitching
    tingling in extremities
    numbness in face
    Internal and External tremors
    Major Forgetfulness
    Major, Major Depression
  11. aching

aching New Member

...that's what I have in my legs.Kind of like buzzz, stop, buzzz, stop. It's sooo anoying. I also have very jumpy nerves, like I'll jump out of my skin any minute.
  12. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

You just described me EXACTLY! I've learned so many of the symptoms I have are connected to FM (to my relief, actually) but I sure never connected my gradual, mysterious withdrawal from people. I've never liked to make phone calls, but I used to be so painfully shy that I couldn't bring myself to call a stranger or someone I didn't know well unless it was placing a business call at work (then it wasn't me, personally, calling).

Now, however, I can't even bring myself to call my best friends or family members, and my own business calls get put off until I'm in trouble. I never answer the phone and the man who invented caller ID should be sainted! I used to always want to go out somewhere, visit friends, have friends over. Now I don't want to go anywhere, see anyone and I'm annoyed when friends drop over. And I'm SO glad you admitted to resenting your husband for coming home!! Boy, did I feel guilty about that! He's retired and around all the time, which drives me crazy. I want to be totally alone, at all times. If I'm not at my own computer or busy in the kitchen, I'm in my room or on the enclosed porch - my excuse being that those are the only 3 areas I'm allowed to smoke in. One of the reasons I don't want to quit smoking is that I will then have no excuse to shut myself off. I really thought this was a personal mental problem and I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear others describe the same feelings. I think this is the weirdest FM manifestation I've heard of so far.

As for other neurological symptoms:

memory loss
    word loss and inability to complete sentences
    visual disturbances (visual migraines)
    occasional tingling, extremeties easily going numb
    knocking over things I reach for
    depression
    ADD - lifelong

Probably others.

JoAnn
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If you can find anything by Dr. Paul Cheney on the 3 stages of our illness in the library here, read it, as it should explain these symptoms and why they happen in stage three. I gather it has something to do with low levels of human growth hormone. I know one of our moderator's here, Shirl ,is also like us, and I also have two friends with fibro who is in this stage. One of them won't even go to the grocery anymore; she makes her husband do it.
    Klutzo
  14. tandy

tandy New Member

Your poor husband!!but I hear ya!!!.....Its been over 10 years for me with this crap and I love being homw alone too!!!it sure does'nt happen alot....as I have 2 little ones 10 and 7yrs old.but a couple times a week there gone for a day...and I just LOVE the quiet,and freedom!!most of those times I don't even DO anything....but I'm enjoying myself!!now if only I were pain free!!!
    As for the neuro symptoms,I get the pricly,pins&needles alot, if thats neuro??And things fall asleep on me alot...like my foot or my arm.Sometimes even my kneecaps??? odd I know. I'm being referred to a Neurologist soon.I have'nt a clue why?
    Take care all :)
  15. Kim

Kim New Member

Depression
    Dizziness
    Brain Fog
    Irritability
    Loss of Memory & concentration
    Buzzing sensation in head
    band around head ....tension headache
    visual disturbances

HERE'S THE KICKER: Four years ago I had almost the exact same symptoms. I was admitted to Shands and received shock therapy and got complete remission from ALL these symptoms. That's why I'm sure it's all neurotransmitter in origin.

I've had maintenance ECT and it worked but the last one didn't and we don't know why.

kim
  16. barbaradh

barbaradh New Member

The list is as follows:

memory loss
    slurred speech
    ADD
    expressive aphasia (can't express myself verbally)
    delayed response time in conversations
    balance problems (fall over a lot)
    run into things (walls, tables, etc)
    tremor
    numbness and tingling in extremities
    drop things
    loss of sensation on my left side
    bladder problems
    alpha intrusion sleep disorder (not reaching deep sleep at all)

There are others, but my memory problems are getting in the way right now.....

I finally found a good neurologist who actually is taking my symptoms seriously. Have you been to one yet? If you haven't, make sure when you call to make an appointment that you ask them if the doctor treats fibromyalgia patients or has a good understanding of fibro. There are a lot of neurologists out there that don't believe in this diagnosis (already saw one of them - he said it was all in my head).

Hope this helps.

Hang in there,
    Barbara