What kind of pain in CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Yolapa, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Yolapa

Yolapa New Member

I have CFS, but never experienced much pain with it until the last cycle. My muscles have been sore, especially legs, and shoulder, elbow and hip joints very painful at times--worse after exercise. I was wondering if this could be heading more towards fibromyalgia or if this kind of pain is common to CFS. I don't think I have the tender points of fibromyalgia, but didn't know if it takes time to develop.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was sick for 10 years before the tender points showed up and I was diagnosed with FMS. I also have CFIDS and it actually came first. The pain has always been the same, stiffness and pain in my neck, shoulders, hips, and legs. I also get the all over fluish pain when flaring. My fatigue grew over the years until at one point, I simply could not get out of bed.

After several treatments and meds, I am doing much better. I think there is a huge area of overlap with our illnesses but the tender points seem to be the defining feature of FMS and the crushing fatigue which never goes away is more indicitive of CFIDS, although those with FMS have fatigue too.

Love, Mikie
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

but I do have joint pain--usually my shoulders or hips. Often my knees and ankles. Can't tell about my wrists. What I hate is when the joints in my feet or hands hurt.... I never think about how many bones make up our hands or feet until I get "joint pain" in my feet! And that's exactly what it feels like.

This seems to come in cycles. Lately mine don't hurt much, or if they do it's minor and transitory.

But it is possible for you to develop fibro. If your pain is constant and/or severe you might want to get checked.
  4. tulip922s

tulip922s New Member

I too have CFS, but, also at times extreme pain in my hips, upper back, neck, and the worst is my legs. I was told I also have FM with CFS,,,,guess they can go hand in hand. Tulip