What Kind of Vacuum Do You Like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Marta608, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Vacuuming is one of The Hardest Jobs for me to do.

A year ago I bought a Eureka Maxima because I'd heard it was lightweight and easy to use. The cost was right, too, at $60. Well, it was lightweight and easy to use, and I couldn't believe how much more pet hair and dirt it got up than my old one. The clumsy cannister filter was a pain to clean and put back together but I lived with it because of the ease of use and good cleaning.

.....Until I used the vacuum tools and removed the hose from the vacuum base.... When I put it back together it wouldn't stay. Mid-vacuum I'd realized that dust was flying around me and, yup, the hose had pulled loose again. It would stay put for about ten minutes then off it went. I finally gave up on using the tools and duct taped it in place, but it still loosened up.

Today I got the edge of a throw rug caught in it (my bad) and some string got wound around the brush. I got it out but now the brush doesn't touch the floor. It's all plastic with a cheap little wire spring so I'm not sure it will re-adjust successfully.

Now I need to buy a new vacuum. I can't spend a lot and I need one that won't add to the pain in my arms, hands and shoulders, and that isn't very heavy.

Anyone here have a vacuum they'd recommend?

2. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I have a very lightweight Bissell that works on battery. It comes with 2 batteries and you just keep changing it while the other recharges.

My sweepers always broke right away with having pets and so much hair, etc. I run it everyday.

This sweeper was guaranteed for a year or I got a replacement or my money back. It's over a year and still going strong.

The handle can come off to use as a hand-held vac. It is bagless, you just empty the cup.

The brush picks all the hair up. I use this sweeper everyday and I pull the heavier one out about once a week.
  3. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Last year I went searching for the absolute cheapest vacuum I could find to keep on my lower level to specifically vaccuum the carpet around the area where we keep the cat's box. I did not want to use my expensive Oreck vaccuum and even more so, didn't want to constantly lug it up and down the stairs.

After checking various vacuums, I purchased a Eureka Optima upright on sale at PC Richard for only $52. It is very light-weight and changes easily from hose to floor, and the attachments fasten securely to the base. What I also like about this vaccuum is that it is bagless, so the plastic canister can be easily washed. In addition the filter detaches easily and you can rinse all the excess dust out of it with hot water. Just let it dry in the sun, and the filter is as good as new.

4. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I need a vacuum that is heavy duty, kelligirl, so I'm not sure the Bissel would be powerful enough. My carpet is quite a thick cut pile.

I'll check out the Optima, Laura, although I'm a bit reluctant to go with Eureka again after my Maxima experience. I should have taken it back but it was winter.....

Thanks again.

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

My vacuum died, too!

I had a splendid, aquamarine and white, 1950s upright. I'd only had it for a little over 3 years. Yes, it was a rescue :~) It was also bagless! Who knew there were bagless vacuums in the 1950s!

I share your dust.

6. sisland

sisland New Member

I have a Walmart $60.00 Bissel,,,,,it has a strong motor and really good suction ,,,,,but it's not lightweight,,,and sometimes blows the stuff out the hose too if i don't change the bag on time,,,,It's a Good Vacum though!,,,,,,Goodluck in finding one!,,,Check out the new "Shark lightweight",,,should be on-line,,,,,,,,Sis
  7. pasara

pasara New Member

...to a point, that is.

a couple years ago i bought a new vacuum and decided this time i was going to spend a little more and get a good one. what a difference!
    i bought a hoover wind tunnel, with a hepa filter (helps daughter with asthma) and spent about $200.
    it wasn't the most expensive vacuum by any means, but it was a step up, and it does work much better than my previous one.

actually it wasn't working very well for a while, and i wondered why and had lost faith in it. then finally last week i took it outside and actually took a portion of it apart and discovered a huge -- and i mean HUGE!!-- clog in the tube that must have built up for some time. a string had caught on this flap thing and then everything started building up around it from there. it was about a foot long clog! (though still was picking up some)

actually it was kind of fun to get it out and i felt really technically talented for being able to take out a few screws and put them back in, like maybe i missed my calling as an industrial engineer or something. anyway, point is, vacuum again working like new, and so much better that i realized i had forgotten a vacuum could work that well.

[This Message was Edited on 09/20/2008]
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Along with asking all your advice (thank you to those additional ladies who took the time), I've been Googling vacuum cleaners.

Do you have ANY IDEA how many types, brands and styles there are???? I didn't. I think I'll end up going to Walmart or Target - Kmart has too few now - and hauling a few around. Just as soon as I get up the energy.....

9. sisland

sisland New Member

I have to say i can relate to Pasara! one day decided to check the belt on my Vac,,,,,because it wasn't working as well as i thought it should,,,,,,it was split in half!,,,,,,,,,so i struggled to replace it and won!,,,,,lolol,,,,,,it's fun to achieve things that you think you can't!,,,,,,Sydney,,,p.s.,,,Happy shopping Marta!
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

BTW, I should have mentioned, my other vacuum is an Oreck and I love that one too. It was a little pricey, about $500, but it also came with a free annual overhaul for eight years and a seperate very high quality cannister vacuum which I use for everything--stairs, cars, etc. I decided to bite it, and pay for this one because everytime I would buy one of those $200 vaccuums, after a year or so they s****d. That Phantom Thunder thing was the worst!! The Oreck is also extremely lightweight which was a huge consideration for me since our house is on four levels.

11. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

It very powerful and sucks the dirt right up! Its an upright and bagless. Very nice, got it a walmart. It was around 60.00. My other one died after 11 years. It had a bag though and it was an Eureka, and after using my new one it didn't get much dirt up!
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

The search goes on. I've decided to take my list from you dear friends and go to Target and Walmart. I need to get my hands on them.

I'd love to buy a more expensive vacuum but it's not in the budget right now sooooooooooo next week I'll go shopping.

(I took another look at the Eureka Maxima's underside because my son said Must be the belt came off. There is no belt that I can see (so what drives it??) and no way to get to where the brush is.) I Remember Kirby.

13. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

I thought my small vacuum was a Bissell, but it is a Eureka. My large vacuum is a Bissell and needs bag changes.

Sorry for the mix-up.
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

We finally bought a Dyson last year and I LOVE it!! We for some reason always break our vacuums. They last a couple of years, then something on it breaks! Even those vacuums were costing us $200-250.00. We finally decided to get a GOOD vacuum.
    I'm one that loves to vacuum - or have my home vacuumed I should say. Love those vacuum tracks - makes my house feel clean. When we plugged in that Dyson and vacuumed for the first time, you wouldn't believe what came up! ...and like I said, we vacuum regularly, have no pets or anything.
    I was amazed at what it sucked up.

You can sometimes get that at Linens and Things or Bed Bed and Beyond with that 20% coupon that comes in the mail.

It's not heavy either. No bags - has an easy removable tube that with a quick push of a button releases into the trash. Good attachments too.
  15. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I have a very light weight Eureka that doesn't work that well on corners, etc., but it is so convenient that I actually use it!

Plan to get a wet and dry shop vac, with atachments, for when I really get serious. cheers, mr bill

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2008]
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was deep cleaning my bedroom (never a good idea :) and when I went to lower the big king-size mattress, which I had propped up against the wall, it fell suddenly. It knocked me into a table and against the wall before I even realized what had happened. Then, I fell on top of my 20-year-old Hoover upright. The plastic handle was brittle with age and snapped. It was time to buy a new vacuum cleaner anyway, so I went in search of another Hoover as I've had good luck with them all my adult life.

I got a 20 percent off coupon from Bed, Bath and Beyond and took it to Linens 'n Things (they honor each other's coupons). They had Hoovers but there was a bagless wind tunnel Bissel on closeout. I had expected to pay $200 to $250 for a Hoover before the coupon. The Bissel had been $200 but was on closeout, so with the coupon, I ended up getting it for $111. Such a deal! This is the one they say removes pet hair. I don't need that but I was happy to see it was bagless and included a HEPA filter. All the vacs in this price range were 12 amps and this one really gets up the dirt. I'm very happy with it.

My Mom had a Dirt Devil and she hated it. Our store has an Oreck and it doesn't work well; I was surprised at that. My kids bought a Dyson and hate it. They went out and got a Hoover and are going to try to sell the Dyson. I think vacuums are like a lot of other things. Different people like different things and a lot depends on how it's used and the model one buys. I have no idea whether this Bissel will hold up like all my Hoovers have but the price was right and so far, I've been happy with it. Now, if I can just keep from falling over it :)

BTW, yes, it did send me into a painful flare for a few days afterward. Surprisingly, there was no bruising.

When I was so sick I was bedridden most of the time, I bought one of the first Roomba robotic vacuums. It was great for light cleaning when I couldn't push a vacuum. It can certainly cut down on the cleaning one has to do and is a great companion to a regular vac. They have improved them a lot. Shirl had one and loved hers too. She uses an Oreck for regular cleaning and she swears by them.

Love, Mikie
  17. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I loved my old one. It was lightweight and easy attachments. but as it got older it didn't pick up as much dirt. It was a Hoover windunnel (not bagless)
    My husband and I went vaccum cleaner shopping at Walmart, I tried out a few, but ultimately my hubby wanted to do research online before buying.
    He bought based on suction, the tools attached and price and didn't take into account the heaviness and the difficulty of the attachments. He ened up buying me a Bissel, which is great in terms of suction! It is very heavy though and hard to get up the stairs for me. But the worst part is the attachments. You have to turn it off and turn the brushes off and add attachment pieces, which is an ordeal, not simple at all. Plus since it is bagless I have to empty the container several times during a vacuuming session.

So I guess my point is, don't buy off the internet UNLESS you have tried it out in the store first. Even though many internet retail sites have feedback sections and a rating system, they don't take into account DISABLED PEOPLE! LOL

Overall I am happy with job the vacuum does, it just takes me much longer to get it done and with a greater degree of exhaustion after.

But I think it probably depends on the size of your house too.

Good luck

BILLCAMO New Member

for me is the one in someone else's hand ! LOL

The best one I ever had was an old Rainbow that someone gave me. They got it at a yard sale and said it didn't work very good. All I did was read the directions and put water where it belonged and it worked great ! Amazing thing those directions.....lol.

Even though it didn't have a power head it out-cleaned the Kirby my ex got in the divorce.....

Unfortunately the motor gave out because of the previous owner's using it "dry". :>(

Blessings ,

19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

JL, if you are having to empty the canister several times, it's probably because it's getting out all the deep dirt left by your old vacuum. If I still lived in a two-story house, I would have one vacuum for upstairs and one for downstairs. Still, you have to contend with those stairs. Oy!

Bill, I got a good laugh from your post. I also remember those Rainbow vacuums. They were expensive but very, very good. They did one episode on "Everybody Loves Raymond" featuring a vacuum using the water. The water served the same purpose as the HEPA filters today; they keep the dust you just vacuumed up from being blown back out of the vacuum cleaner.

This is an excellent place to look for advice on buying and car repairs. Y'all have been so helpful to me when I asked about washers and dryers and replacing my timing belt. Y'all are great!

Love, Mikie
  20. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I bought a Dyson in January and I don't why I ever bothered with the others. I've spent anywhere from $45 to $500 in the past only to have them either break down completely or simply lose suction. I've owned Hoover, Rainbow, Kirby, Electrolux, Ricoh, Oreck and now the Dyson.

I got my Dyson Animal on sale at the local Bi-Mart. It was $399 after $100 off and worth every penny.

I had vacuumed with my Ricoh (not a cheap vac!) the day before and was amazed how much the Dyson picked up only one day after vacuuming with the Ricoh!

At the time I had two big dogs. We had hair "drifts" on the floors with no carpet and I cringed thinking what the carpet must have on it! Now that I use the Dyson once a week I don't have hair drifts anymore. Getting it off the carpet made a major difference in how much ended up in the kitchen/dining room. I use it to vacuum the hard floors, too. Works better than the Swiffer!

They have a new Dyson on a ball instead of wheels. I'd like to try it, but won't because I might really like it and the one I have is basically new! The one with the ball looks like it turns and handles really easily.

Oh, I forgot! The attachments are on board and really easy to use. I thought it was clogged once (turns out I was vacuuming carpet on the bare floor setting!) and took it all apart looking for the clog. It comes apart like a toy and goes right back together. It was kind of fun taking it apart! I do have to clean the roller brush due to the long dog hair and mine which is almost to the small of my back. Amazing how much hair we lose!!