What lab tests can be done to test adrenal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowaMorningGlory, Nov 21, 2006.

1. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I asked my physician about the Adrenal Stress Index test and Hormone Panel and he looked at me as if my head had just done a 360! He had never heard of it needless to say. :)

I have had 30 some other labs done otherwise, but nothing specifically to determine adrenal function. Is the ASI test the only one that is definitive out there?

Can't do supplements, most make me sick and two I can't afford them. My meds are paid for.

Any help with what others have had to determine would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  2. IowaMorningGlory

I have tried seaching the internet before I went to physician...but he still didn't know what the test was and said he wouldn't recommend it because I probably didn't need it (How do we know that unless we do it. That's what I should have asked. Hindsight is always 20/20.)

I know the Adrenal stress is done via saliva and done four times throughout the day. I know only certain labs provide the results for this test. So that may explain why he doesn't know.

I will suggest the endo doctor to him and see if he will get me a referral. Worth a shot, the most he can tell me is no, right. I have to have a referral from him or my insurance won't cover.

Anyone one else with suggestions for other tests or who to see?

Thanks a bunch,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  3. IowaMorningGlory

I think what I will do is treat this prophalactic. I am going to order Rhodiola rosea and start at minimum and see if my energy levels increase.

Laurie
  4. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I was recently diagnosed with stage 2 Adrenal Fatigue. Part of the treatment is to go to bed at 10 pm and, if possible, stay in bed until 9 am. (No, I haven’t started the treatment yet.) That is something you could do for free.

How is your blood pressure? The adrenal malfunction can lead to low blood pressure (cause by low blood volume, caused by low salt). The treatment for that is extra salt. Use non-iodized salt such as sea salt. You do not want to get too much iodine.
  5. IowaMorningGlory

My blood pressure for years never reaches 100 on the high side. Normal for me is 80/60. No wonder I am always tired. Then there were the years they had me on Lopresser (which drops BP) for my Mitral Valve Prolapse. It worked wonders but I knew it was making me even more tired. I don't take it anymore, but now it seems my MVP has gotten worse.

I would love to start a sleep regimen. I know they say to have a regulare routine. I don't know how I would do it. My husband works 3 nights a week until 8pm. Two of my boys work 3-4 nights a week until 8pm. By the time we get supper done and schoolwork done....well I never know what time that will be for sure. And then I have to be up by six so I can get all three boys off to school.

I am having my pharmacist get the Rhodiola in so I can start it.

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  6. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Next week my endocrinologist is doing a test called the Cort Stim test. I think it stands for Cortisol Stimulation test. It tests how the adrenals are working.

This test must be done early in the morning. They draw a baseline blood, then put a port in and inject something (not sure what). Then they draw blood again after 30 minutes and again after another 30 minutes.

That's about all I know about it. I'll let you know how it goes!
  7. IowaMorningGlory

Please do let me know. I hope everything goes well for you. I appreciate you letting me know. :)

You take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  8. IowaMorningGlory

Yes I know how you feel. I can't keep my eyes open all day. I can't sleep. And then when I do have peace and quite and could go to bed, here I sit wide awake and not wanting to go to bed.

Some days I am not sure though if it is the rush or I just don't want to go to bed because I know my sleep isn't going to be restful.

Hey, but it is time well spent. I usually sit here and talk with others on the message boards.

Mornings though are when I actually seem to get my best work done. Seems like my pain hasn't caught me yet. But usually by 10 I hurt so bad and all I want to do is sleep! How about you have you ever though or done any adrenal testing? Or take anything for your cortisol levels?

You take care and have a Happy Thanksgiving,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie

9. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

In the lab I work in (in Canada) we test Cortisol levels. The morning one had be done between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. and the afternoon test between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. We don't do a saliva test for Adrenals at all.

My DIL had to go for these test several times in a row. She also has low bloodpressure. The Dr. she was seeing told her NOT to eat Chocolate, Caffeine or walnuts. She also had to add salt to her diet to bring up her blood pressure. She is now feeling better.
  10. tejanya

tejanya New Member

what caused my high blood pressure. it has been 10 years and i do not take any meds for bp. what was the deciding factor in my case was the mri that was done on the adrenals.
    it was diseased and had to come out. there was a lot of blood work done prior to the mri. i felt yuk and now the only yuk is: dishes, laundry, kids, animals, etc. life. not really. sorry this is hap hazardly wrote. grandkids asking questions.
  11. Iamnotmyillness

Iamnotmyillness New Member

I did the saliva test and it finally explained why I have the same symptoms as the previous poster -- around 9pm I suddenly have a burst of energy. Your adrenal test results should start high in the morning and slope downward toward the evening -- mine go the exact opposite, starting below normal in the morning and then spiking way up at night. I have a feeling that my pain worsens at night which kicks me into flight or fight mode with the adrenal. I'm then up until my system wears itself out and then I can finally sleep -- unfortunately sometime around 6-7 AM. I have tried Klonopin, Deseryl and Ambien with no success. I think my next try with be Mirapex as I hear some people are having success with this drug (although its suppose to be for the treatment of Parkinsons).
  12. pattieland

pattieland New Member

IowaMorningGlory - Hope I am replying correctly to post.

I had first visit with endocronologist and very pleased - I asked for T4 &------T3 b/c felt Armour was not treating my thyroid levels. Dallas Fibro&Fatigue centers tests said I had thyroid antibodies that block the med. Endo said not uncommon, but that 80-90% of his patients do well on T4 alone, another 10% DO INDEED need T3 also - so he prescribed T3 (Cytomel) in addition to T4, and I have experienced energy levels last 2 weeks like I haven't had in YEARS - (FM diagnosed 98, Hashimotos in 2004) but still was Jumpy, shaky. T's ckd by same endo' lab 2 weeks into trtment, and TSH showed low, (my usual) but he kept dose same at 100 mcg T4, Synthroid, balanced with 10% T3 (Cytomel brand name) (10mcg); and he checked cortisol level and this is the kicker -- cortisol showed in normal range but I knew something not right as adrenals showed low from Dallas clinic 2 months before, and I was ready to take someone's head OFF with my fight or flight mood level which was abnormal feeling . So I took 10mg of cortisol prescribed by Dallas clinic and it was just amazing -- my mood leveled out just perfectly - no longer shaky, downright n o r m a l feeling person, and I went and enjoyed a lovely Thanksgiving meal with family.

My point: we have to titrate the dose somewhat ourselves - at least with me it is the case. I am very sensitive to meds. Have had chronic diarrhea since starting all those supplements from Dallas clinic 2 months ago and can't do further labs til I can resume them - so I am out thousands of dollars and the supplements are what has made me have chronic diarrhea 6+ weeks.
    Back to thyroid.
    I see endo in another week to discuss these last labs of Ts & cortisol, and I do not know if he will do further adrenal testing, so I am getting armed with my info.

Great book I just bought - THYROID POWER by Shames - explains exactly why this need for cortisol med may be in spite of "within normal range" blood tests - and explains further how only a small bit of cortisol - nowhere near the 100-200 mg prescribed for treatment of a severe disease would be - will not harm you and might just be what is needed.
    They do mention "Cortef" at 10 mg. (brand name of cortisol), but do not know whether this is prescription strength or not. This is covered in Step 10- Determine if Low Adrenal; also has interesting info regarding people who have antibodies against their thyroid (me) are more likely to also have antibodies against their adrenals. (step 9 )
    This is the best book yet I have read re thyroid problems and how to treat - easy enuf for me to understand b/c I find the thyroid info extremely difficult to grasp - and had heard little about my "adrenals" also being a problem from these other books I had read on thyroid.

Book also explains "conventional med. test" for low adrenal reserve is Cortrosyn Stimulation Test aka ACTH Stimulation Test -- similar to definitive thyroid test of TSH reserve (TRH) test. Perhaps your doc only knew this by ACTH name.
    Hope this helps! pattieland

[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
  13. IowaMorningGlory

happycanuk:
    Do you know the name of the test for Cortisol levels? That is what I need to know so I can ask my physician for it specifically. It was so great of you to let me know about this. What part of canada are you from?

tejanya:
    You have fun with the grandkids they definitely come first.
    Wow an MRI and your adrenal glands were diseased! I hope your okay now and thank you for posting to me. :)

Iamnotmyillness:
    I take Mirapex for my myoclonic jerks twice a day. They really dont help me sleep (as you can see I am still up at midnight) They do help my myoclonic jerks though, just not enough.

bretz:
    Did you ever try the Rhodiola when you were taking supplements? If you did did it help at all?
    The late night pain and lack of sleep can really get to me, but like you I have found late night radio interesting.
    Let me know how your visit goes if you would.

pattieland:
    My thyroid T3 & T4 tests have been done numerous times. They always come out normal. But I will definitely check into the ACTH though. Thank you very much for the great info.

Thank you all for each and every post so far. It has helped me immensely and for that I am very appreciative!

Everyone take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  14. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I am in Alberta. The test is just called Cortisol here. They can do a random, but it is better to have the Cortisol AM and Cortisol PM done. Just tell your Dr. you want your Cortisol levels checked, and then go everyday for the AM and PM to see how the Adrenal gland is functioning.
  15. IowaMorningGlory

Alberta that should be pretty nice. I know it is pretty large, otherwise just that they held or hold the winter olympics there. At least at this time of night I think thats right, if not let me know.

I will definitely ask for my cortisol levels to be checked in am and pm. When you did it did they draw blood both time? How many days? Just wondering how they did it. Hate to be a pest.

Long night here, the pain in my shoulders and knees are killing me so I took an extra lyrica. Nothing was cutting it. Tired but wide awake at the same time and my typing is starting to really get bad. I think I am using backspace as much as I am typing!

Thanks so much for the info and take care,
    Laurie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/23/2006]
  16. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Hi. Alberta is NOT that nice right now. It is heading for 30 below zero tonight lol and snow. Just a little glitch in Elnino. He was supposed to be in Alberta this winter but I think he sent his sister Elnina!!!

The Cortisol is a blood test and it is up to the Dr. to determine how many days you may need the test done. It is important to go both AM and PM as this will determine whether or not your Adrenals are in trouble.

My gmother was born and raised in Iowa. I was there a few years ago. We didn't drive that far into Iowa, just over from S. Dakota. Iowa was really pretty.
  17. IowaMorningGlory

Iowa is especially pretty in the fall. I love Iowa because it is so pretty, year round. We have four seasons, and many people believe winter is the worst in Iowa, like it snows all year. Winter here is one of my favorite seasons. I love snow! Spring is great because everything if blooming and green. Summer..well not my favorite because it usually is so humid.

I would love to see Canada. Actually I would like to move there. Someday maybe.

You take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  18. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I had the Saliva tests done thru my ND. I too am from Canada.

My cortisol level in the am is very low, and raised in the afternoon and pm. My ND put me on solid licorice extract [1/2 tsp in hot water in the am] and a supplement called Seriphos[2 caps 45min-1hr before bed]. I have only been on this for 1 wk, and haven't been too faithful with the licorice yet. I've missed the last 2 mornings.

I also am taking a Bvitamin with extra B5 in it too.

Raz