What life dreams/goals destroyed by FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vannafeelbettr, Sep 11, 2008.

1. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I had written two novels, and it was at this stage in my life when I'd have been ready to pursue publishing. I spent many years attending Writers Conferences and through networking, I'd had the privilege of making some great contacts..... Jennifer Weiner (Good in Bed, In Her Shoes) Anne Rice (attended a Halloween party she had with NYC underground vampires there- really cool!), Ted Tally (wrote many screenplays including Silence of the Lambs) and many others.

I put publishing on hold when I got married and had my children, knowing I'd be able to dedicate all that was needed from me at some point in the future. The time I saw was now. But, there is no way in this body I could possibly do what would be needed from me :(
  2. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Vanna,

When my pain became chronic, I had been promoted to a better position at the company I was working for. I was loving it, even though it was super stressful and required long hours. I was also going to school full time for my Bachelor’s in Accounting. I was super busy. My plan was to obtain my Bachelor’s, continue on to get my Master’s and eventually my CPA, and then perhaps eventually start my own company. I ended up resigning and put school on hold. Last year, I tried to continue with school (online), but found that my brain has trouble focusing and processing the information, plus the classes were short so it was a lot of work in a short period of time. I just didn’t have the energy to continue with it.

I love school and I love working, so this has been really frustrating for me. Plus, even though its not super-important to me, I would like to be able to have one child. I can’t even imagine trying to do that in my current state though, and being that I am now 29, I don’t really feel like there are that many years left if I do want to do that (maybe 5-6 years, I don’t want to do it too late). So that may be out the window as well.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow, how impressive. I am also a writer but have been unable to really do that with this DD fog.

I wrote for fun and no where near what you have done.

My soon to be SIL is also a writer. He wrote in the Harvard Lampoon and has/is writing on several TV shows.
    We have a lot of writers in the family.

Take care.

I will answer you question later as I am really tired. I just got so excited about your background, I almost forgot the question. Have you ever thought about writing for CFS/FM or through your contacts someone who would be a spokesperson for our DD?
  4. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

I don't know about you, but writing for me had been a 'nusiance' in my life. I never really wanted to do it, it was just something I had a strong instinct to do. I had seen flashes of these "stories" in my mind for years and at one point I thought, why is this happening to me? So, I decided to sit down one day and BANG! Out came a novel. I was glad when I was finished, as the flashes of that story was gone, but.....BANG! There was another novel going on in my head. And when I finished that one.... there's another (I haven't written the third yet).

I initially despised the gift of writing.... I didn't want it. I was busy and it took up too much of my time. I enjoyed my job as a cosmetologist and was happy with that. It wasn't until I let people read my work, and one contact led to another... I could go on and on. But, anyhow, I figured this was a gift from God. It was like He put these stories in my mind and I was simply the messenger putting it to paper. I would laugh and kid with God in my mind, like "Gee, God, you gave this gift to the wrong person. I'm sooo busy with my job (lots of 12 hr days, little time off) there's no way a literary agent would want to work with me. And there's no way I'm quitting this job!."

Then... surprise!!! A car accident that brings on Fibro.
    I'd like to think perhaps God is pathing the way for me to finish what "we" started, but I will certainly need more energy than this....

Who knows? Maybe my experience with fibro will be personal research for a future character. LOL. One never knows....