What Major Purchases Have Helped Your Health?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Today I made terrific fresh juice and perfectly cooked brown rice in two recently purchased appliances.

I concluded that these purchases were well worth the money I spent on them.

(The juicemaker is Omega 8003, the one Rich Carson uses. The ricemaker is a fuzzy-logic one, which cooks all kinds of rice perfectly and keeps it ready-to-eat for a whole day. My ricemaker is a Sanyo, but others seem good too.)

This made me wonder if other people have made such purchases that have really benefited them.

Another major purchase I have made is the HealthMate Air Purifier by Austin. It is amazingly powerful, lasts more than five years without a filter change, and creates lovely white noise that makes it much easier to sleep. (The model I have now filters out chemicals as well as ordinary stuff.)

When we re-did one of our bathrooms, we added a steam room feature in shower. This seems to have been useful for detox, without taking up any extra precious space in our house.

I have to admit that I'm grateful for my husband's suggestion that we purchase an extremely large plasma TV, too. A lot of times I _need_ (for the sake of my health) to just totally relax without thinking about anything stressful (or anything at all). Combined with a Netflix subscription, the huge TV has turned into a really good way to do this---a far more relaxing and enjoyable experience than watching movies on a regular TV.

Any other suggestions???
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  2. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

Far infrared sauna (a big one made of cedar); it was around $3,000. My entire family uses it. It took time to save up for it, but worth it

Rebound chair; great to keep lymph drainage going and to get in a "workout"
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

It filters out organic chemicals, chlorine, florine and toxic metals. Home Depot ~$200 but pays for itself quickly. I even tied in a line to the icemaker! The teenagers drink water!!!

I really enjoy my $4 heat lamp...If I could afford a Far IR Sauna, I would enjoy that. The sweat glands are the 3rd kidney of the body and according to Dr. Cutler, the only way to rid the body of nickel.

An ionizer collects dust like your old TV set would. Small amount of ozone helps with a depressed immune system.
  4. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Would you believe garlic pills, one daily? It's keeping the gum disease at bay big time! And I feel better than I did, too. Just started in Dec. Hmmm, the TV sounds like a great idea. Marie
    [This Message was Edited on 01/17/2007]
  5. swedeboy

swedeboy Member

Wow I am so envious that you have a large Plasma TV. I want one so bad. Hopefully they will come down in price soon. Yes I think it would definitely aid in vital relaxation for us with CFS/FMS. I do feel relaxed after I watch a great movie, and it would be so much better on a HD Plasma TV!

Plus my living room is rather small and it doesnt really have a good place for a large Plasma TV. My Fiance and I are on the wait list for Section 8 and subsidized housing. So when get a bigger place it'll be Plasma time all the way! Our place now is only like 500 sq ft.

I love my rice maker too. MMMMM..Brown rice, yummy. Is your rice cooker a non-stick teflon one? I want to get one that does not have the non-stick teflon coating on it. I think a glass one would be cool.

I think my favorite purchase is my Apple Ibook lap top computer, because I can access this priceless message board and talk with all the great people on it! And this message board is so essential in helping my CFS.

I really really want to get the Omega juicer that you now have. I hear that Pro Health is going to be carrying them soon. Where did you buy it, on Mercola's website?

Peace and Love, Sean
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The juicemaker was about $200 on ebay.

I love my Apple iBook too! (Note: it's worth buying the extended warranty since these break _extremely_ easily.) The Apple AirPort that lets me use it with wi-fi anywhere in the house was a good purchase too.

My ricemaker does have the non-stick Teflon bowl. It's certainly convenient for cleanup. I don't know if non-stick Teflon is detrimental to my health, though.
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

My computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Although I have to have my husband along it at least allows me to treat my "cabin fever" now and then without over-doing.

I'm jealous of the big plasma screen too!

Shar
  9. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

We bought a Comforpedic bed just before Christmas. I did not like the Tempurpedic we tried, but the one we got is heavenly! It is the same material as Tempurpedic with a layer of some sort of foam on top. It conforms to my body without the "gooey" feel of the Temperpedic.

I have slept better than I ever have in my life on the Comforpedic and feel very rested with no pain during the night or in the morning.

It was about $3500, but once my hubby laid on it, HE had to have it!! LOL Best money I ever spent! And with these DDs, sleep is too valuable to skimp on.

Sylvia
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

We bought a Dormia Adjustable Bed. It has been heaven sent for my back and neck. I can adust the bottom and the head to how it fits my body. It also massages, which helps me to fall asleep.

After trying the different ones, this one fit our needs, perfectly.

I have a Rx from my pain managment doctor, hoping insurance will pay for some. it's worth it, with our without, insurance money.

Kim

11. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

A futon.
    I have slept sooooo much better since I got it, and it is a lot safer for me to get in and out of instead of my old loft bed. I didn't trust myself trying to get down from the bed on that under the influence of sleep meds for those 5AM bathroom calls. I had enough trouble getting down the way it was.

Now I sleep pretty much the whole time through though, and I still wake up stiff, but not as stiff as I used to.

Also my iPod keeps me pretty sane...

I can't think of too much else at the moment.
  12. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

My freezer, especially now that I'm trying to go gluten free and dairy free. I eat better if I freeze extra meals and don't eat out.

My CD player and relaxation tapes weren't exactly major purchases, but they sure help.
  13. mejlee

mejlee New Member

Laptop-so I can stay in bed and get advice from all of you!

Family Tree Maker-So when I read faster than everyone posts I have something to do.

My favorite cheap person purchase

$10 supersized single waterbed from a garage sale. No baffels in the mattress. It's perfecrt! It sits high up, so I can roll out of bed instead of climb. It is heated. It conforms with out putting pressure on my muscles & joints. It is one of the best beds for people with allergies. It doesn't hold the allergens regular mattresses do and it is washable. It has 8 drawers so I don't have to get out of it. (everything is at my fingertips)And I topped it off with purchasing several velux blankets ($10 new - Also recommended for people with allergies - you can wash them in hot water over and over without damage)even the best sheets were too stiff and itchy for me.

14. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Laptop Computer (with wireless internet)
    Chaise Lounge for living room
    Wedge Pillow

Those are the 3 top on my list of purchases.

[This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  15. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Our new hot tub and our thick pillow top king sized bed.
    Mini
  16. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

So far for me it has been

Laptop
    Wireless internet router (can surf from recliner if need be)
    This microwavable heating pad (has flax seed, etc in it)

The latter is not a major purchase though.

If I could afford it Id own a jacuzzi. I have a tanning bed and I like getting in it though!
  17. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I just bought Hawaii! Y'all are welcome to join me. ha ha

I just bought two wonderful down comforters at Bed Bath and Beyond- one is light warmth and the other is year-round warmth (which is really for now when it's cold outside). They are on sale too. 40% off! It's nice using one blanket and not having the weight of three or four. Much easier on the muscles.

Got a new latex mattress and replaced my 8 year old one. The new mattress was actually cheaper than the old one but is higher quality and will last longer. I researched well. Hopefully my sleep will improve just a little!

These items are great for health and tough on the pocketbook, but that is how it goes. Hope to have some moolah for my old age!

Much love, Erika
  18. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

These were major for me: a pressure cooker. I can make soup, lentils, etc. really quickly.
    My MBT sneakers. They make walking slowly around the neighborhood more of a complete workout amd are really great for standing situations.

Hey, Erika, what brand latex mattress did you buy?
    lol about Hawaii!

Forebearance
    [This Message was Edited on 01/18/2007]
  19. jinlee

jinlee Member

I am not trying to make light of or be funny with my answer, but the best I have felt in the last 10 years was the 10 days I spent on a cruise in Hawaii with a lifelong friend. I spent less money on the trip than I spent on the doctor vists over the last 10 years, which just left me frustrated and angry at the docs who between all of them don't seem to have an ounce of sense.

My fibro doc said I felt so good because of the warmth and no highs or lows always coming and going. He also said if a person with fibro moves to another climate, the first year and a half they will feel better and then get worse again. He has taught at a major health university so he may be right.

Also I ate three meals, at normal hours, ate differently and got lots of exercise. Even lugging suitcases around did not hurt as bad.

It was so good for me to have a time where I felt "normal" for once, at least I think that is what normal feels like.

I did ask the doc if he would write me a prescription for another trip. He just laughed and charged me another $100 bucks!

So, I guess what I am saying is remember a dream you had and do it, not thinking how you will feel but just getting to do something to feel normal if only for a short while.
  20. jlcrafter

jlcrafter New Member

I have really enjoyed reading through all the ideas and it got me to thinking about what I have that I wouldn't want to do without. So...I definitely wouldn't want to do without my husband of 24 years. He didn't cost much but the training! :) After that would be my heated mattress pad, I love sliding into a warm bed. I have the usual devices in the kitchen plus freezers that I keep filled with quick dinners. But today, I bought something that I think will quickly become a favorite and that is a personal CD player with headphones and relaxing CDs, including one that is called Sleep. Can't wait to try it tonight to see if it helps me sleep.

My wonderful hubby also promises me a new bed and a larger TV by the end of February! So excited! I'm definitely keeping him, he's been a great investment. :)

jl