What makes you happy?

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by Willow77, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

I like amusing things. Can't think of what they are called at the moment. I saw this and thought of everyone here so thought I would share.

Have a happy day everyone.

[​IMG]
    Soul*, Starlight74, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Willow

Way back in a 1930 movie Irving Berlin told us what made him happy.
    The movie was "Mammy" and the star was Al Jolson.

What care I who makes the laws of a nation?
    Let those who will take care of its rights and wrongs.
    What care I who care for the world's affairs,
    As long as I can sing its popular songs?

Let me sing a funny song
    With crazy words that roll along,
    And if my song can start you laughing
    I'm happy, so happy.

Let me sing a sad refrain
    Of broken hearts that loved in vain,
    And if my song can start you crying
    I'm happy.

Simple things make me happy. I don't need a mansion or a Lamborghini
    or a trip around the world. A picnic in the park. A few friends over for
    an evening of cards. Going to bed with a good book. A bowl of popcorn
    and some lemonade.

Here's a cheesy pun I came across recently:
    There was an explosion at a French cheese factory.
    All that was left was de-Brie.

And here's a cartoon to warm the cockles of your heart.
    Rock

[​IMG]

3. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

I like the simple things too. Family, good food etc.
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great meal, GB. And how nice to have another greatgrandchild.
    The most famous Finn in literature is Huckleberry, of course. If you want
    some info about the name and some people with Finn as a first name,
    you can find it here.

http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/boy/finn

Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good Morning! What a great idea. I also love the simple things in life. It makes me happy when the cat snuggles up next to me in bed and purrs. Dappled morning sunlight makes me happy when I drink my coffee. My family makes me happy. All y'all make me happy when I come here.

Willow, thanks for starting this wonderful thread. I loooove those silly jokes and if they are also puns, so much the better. Mr. Coffee left Mrs. Coffee because he had grounds for divorce. I wonder whether his names was, Joe. Did he use Java Script? Oh, somebody stop me!

Rock, thanks for warming my cockles. Your cartoon melted my heart. Just soaked in a hot bath to warm my aches 'n pains. Ooh, ooh, you know how I love anything French, especially cheesy puns. Merci, mon ami!

gb, I didn't know Fri. was Finn's birth birthday. Congratulations. Happy birthday to DH. Glad you enjoyed your dinner.

Love, Mikie
    gb66 and rockgor like this.
  6. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

It makes me happy that I finally took an old toothbrush and brushed out my keyboard :D
    Willow77 and gb66 like this.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hey, gb, congratulations on all those wonderful GGK's. It makes me happy just to know about those sweet babies in the world. We need more good kids and, if you are their GGM, I'm sure they are sweet, thoughtful and caring little souls. Yes, we only hear the horrible stuff but I try to keep in mind that there are many, many good things going on all the time. Historically, after violent times, there usually come times of love, understanding and progress in society. Many believe this generation of children will be ready for this great change. I see so much good in my own GS and it does give me hope. Enjoy those kids. Do you live close to them?

Love, Mikie
    gb66 likes this.
  8. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

Today I picked strawberries and blackberries this evening and that made me happy. I planted beans after my husband pulled the weeds out of the bed they were going in. My yard is to small to plant everything I want. I would also love to have the 3 chickens that we are allowed per house but I have no room for a coop and no energy to take care of them. I have heard that there is nothing like fresh cage free eggs.

I like to have my hands in the dirt. For me that is not work it is play. I have black nail polish if I need to go somewhere and I just can't get my nails clean.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day and I want to get some soy creamy ice cream for the strawberries. I also picked a ton of pluots. Several branches broke so I had to strip all the fruit off of those branches. I don't like these ones very well. They are kinda bitter like orange rinds. I am thinking of making a small batch of jam and see how it turns out. I make jams and use splenda instead of sugar to help keep my blood sugar normal. It was up in the lower end of the diabetic range and losing weight and substituting splenda for sugar got rid of it for me. My husband was prediabetic until we started lowering the sugar in processed food. His is now normal as well. One year I even made our own catsup using splenda as well as pickles. I just don't feel that good this year so I will see how much canning gets done this year. Last year I made over 26 jars of blackberry spice jam and 12 apple butter. And froze tomatoes instead of canning. I want to make pickles and relish this year. I have the pickles planted but we will see how they grow. They have a lot of blossoms on the vines. And I have a lot of garlic from the planting last fall. none of the dill came up so i will need to buy some seasoning. I am so tired I can hardly type so i will hopefully find my camera and take pictures tomorrow.

Reading makes me happy on days I am not up to doing anything. I got over 225 free kindle installed on my tablet not.I wish there were a better way to organize them. after reading I could put them in a read folder, and also have the genre's separated in different files.

I haven't kept to up with house cleaning lately so I hope to start in tomorrow with Fly Lady's plan. they are doing the bathroom this week.

Something else that makes me happy is binge watching nice show. I say "Bringing up Bates
    " The family with 19 kids. They are such cheerful people. I liked watching Heartland on strempix but I am all caught up and need to wait for next season.

Well, it's almost 4AM so it is time to shower and head of to bed. The ambien must really be kicking in. Have a good night everyone.
    gb66 likes this.
  9. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

I love this thread! :)

And happy birthday to GB's DH, and to Finn!

I'm happy, too, for the simple things. My hubby, my kitties, my time I spend on the Board, reading a good book.

Willow, my DH also loves Splenda, he's type 2 diabetic. Helps keep his blood sugar number under control. I'm not diabetic, but toward the higher range, I love Truvia.

That meal sounded great, GB! Got any leftovers?? :)

Love and hugs to y'all, DIANE
    Willow77, gb66 and rockgor like this.
  10. Starlight74

Starlight74 Well-Known Member

It makes me smile when it's still winter and the spring bulbs cheat And flower ahead of time.
    I smile when I see the wattle bird hanging precariously,getting its fill of nectar from the flowers by our door.
    Magpies warbling ,sound delicious and make me smile.

I smile deeply when I hear my youngest Treasure (11 yr son), singing.I am pleased that he sings despite the digs from his older brother and sister. I smile all the more knowing he sings because I've encouraged him to do so and it helps him to unload burdens that needn't be carried. Singing makes him smile too. He also sings because it makes me smile.

I smile when my Treasures get along and behave like good mates.
    I smile when my Treasures want to kiss me goodnight, not because they feel they have to.
    I smile when my 12 year old daughter hugs me, no strings attached.
    I smile when my eldest boy(14), presents me with some art work,feigning disgust at my encouragement, but knowing that was the reward he sought.

I smile when my youngest surpasses his older brother and sister in an activity,but doesn't boast.
    I smile that DH still cares about what I think of him.
    I smile when the lawn has been freshly mowed and I can drink in the scenery and enjoy the aroma of cut grass.
    I smile and laugh when my Treasures still want to join me in silly dancing in the kitchen, to my latest favourite song, turned right up.

I smile when my lot get the giggles from watching funny animal antics on you tube.
    I smile When my Lot go for seconds.
    I smile when I score a bargain.
    I smile when DH remembers to kiss me goodbye before work.
    I smile when I read and see all the funnies here...

So thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  11. Willow77

Willow77 Active Member

I love all the different colors, of flowers and fruits, vegetables, the sky, grass and trees. I found a picture of a beautiful bougainvillea. I printed it to see if my printer was working and just threw the picture on the coffee table. I kept picking it up to look at it. It just made me happy. http://interiorsbystudiom.com/landscape-design-bougainvillea-plant-gardening-ideas/
    My favorite is the purple with the purple shutters and the pink with the pink door. They are an annual plant here in Northern California. We get frost from mid Nov-mid March.

The fruit market has beautiful colors, dark purple eggplant next to dark green zucchini, next to yellow summer squash. In the fall it is even more beautiful with all the orange pumpkins and different varieties of squash.

It was always so nice when I got a new prescription for my glasses and everything would be so bright and clean with crisp borders. As time goes by edges seem to get slightly fuzzy and the colors get dull again. I love my glasses that help me see better so I can enjoy nature. (Can you tell I am struggling with fibro fog, I can't seem to find the words I want today.)

I love the butterflies that would flock to my zinnias, by mid-summer, some years there would be 5 at a time feasting on their nectar. I planted a three sisters garden this year instead so there are no zinnias or butterflies this year. There is so much I want to plant and so little room.

My treasures are 37 and 32 and live in other states. One 3,000 miles away. We don't see him often as he doesn't have the money to travel. The other we see almost every year, has a house 700 miles away but has been in Afghanistan for the last 14 months. He has an R&R break in August and we will see him and his girlfriend. We are going to meet him and his girl friend at a car show for a weekend. My husband loves car shows, I love making him happy so I go too.

I love to read all of your replies too. I can't respond to all of them because of fog and lack of energy but I appreciate them all so much.
    rockgor, Soul*, gb66 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

My first ever home grown apple makes me happy :D It found a place in my heart... I mean... stomach :p
    [​IMG]
    Mikie, hangininthere, gb66 and 2 others like this.
  13. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Hi All. I love reading everyone's posts here on ProHealth. Too brain-fogged to participate much, as much as I'd love to.

I almost started a topic exactly like this last year 'Things That Make Me Happy, Add Yours', haha. Because I was so excited to discover that, after three years of lifting the lids off my plastic daily pill organizer with all my might, I finally noticed there's a little button I can push that pushes a little bar over that releases the lids easily. LOL

Humor makes me happy.

Hubby cracks me up all the time, he's a riot.

And I love to hear my son laughing so hard in his room at hilarious YouTube videos.

Me and hub just finished binge-watching all three seasons of the old sit-com 'Titus' on YouTube. We howled with laughter for three days straight.

I was thrilled to watch live-stream online at the NASA centers' latest Mars landing, and the Juno probe successfully arriving and entering Jupiter's orbit after a five-year trip there. Those scientists are so awesome to figure all that out. I held my breath with them, then rejoiced with them, and just about burst out crying with awe.

I love to swim, paddle around and float in the water. Heavenly.

Can't get out anymore to do it, though. Now it makes me happy to recline in my bed and play online games - Scrabble, crossword puzzles, Tetris, Solitaire.

I like looking at paintings online. Want to start a thread of links to paintings by various artists I like someday.

I'm goo-goo over kitty cats. Can't have any more cats since where I rent is no pets allowed. I loved getting my kitty-fix twice last year at the muffler repair shop that has two friendly affectionate cats. The one jumped up right onto my lap and dozed contentedly the whole time I was waiting. Rapture - for me and the kitty.

Tons more things make me feel happy, but burnt-out now so will close.

Patti

P.S. Speaking of coffee, here's a meme I like:

coffee2.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Starlight74, Soul*, Willow77 and 4 others like this.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Just took my med to help me pass my kidney stone and am getting drowsier and drowsier so can't stay long nor individually respond to everydobby who posted since I was last here. Please just know all your posts brought smiles to my face and soul.

Those of us who suffer from illness and lack of NRG know the true value of life's simple pleasures. Talking to my kids and DGS always make me happy. My favorite time of day is when I sit on the sofa in the cool morning air drinking my coffee with the cat, Sir Vester, next to me. Watching something good on TV or reading a good book are also favorites. Last, but certainly not least, it always makes me happy to see my Online Family friends when I come here.

Love, Mikie
    Starlight74 likes this.