What medication do you take for anxiety/panic attacks controlled?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Mar 9, 2010.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi All, please let me know what you take to keep anxiety/panic attacks controlled? I am on xanax and it has done well for about 10 years but the last few months i'm back to being in almost a constant state of panic and its interferring with my daily life considerably. If you dont mind list medication and the amount your taking .you I have a Dr. apt soon to address this along with some other issues.Thanks and God Bless
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2010]
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I take a combo pill of tylenol and butalbital. Butalbital works as a sedative and will calm you down, it also helps with nerve pain. When that doesn't work, I switch to tylenol and cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril). It also calms the central nervous system. Another alternative is Donnatal. It's made from the herb belladonna, it is a prescrip. If you take a Donnatal, using it as an off brand thing, add tylenol and benadryl, it will calm you down.
  3. isiselixir

isiselixir New Member

4. gshib75

gshib75 New Member

I take 0.5 mg of Clonazepam once a day. My psychiatrist says to take two a day, but it always makes me drowsy the next day if I take that much. He said its one of the "cleaner" medicines because it doesn't need to be metabolized very much through the liver. Its good cause it has a fairly long half life so I feel good the entire next day even after taking it the night before. It really helps with my anxiety and somewhat with my OCD symptoms.
  5. goneee

goneee New Member

I have been on Xanax since 2001. At first, I was taking an extremely low dose, my choice, which was like spitting in the ocean. After I finally got over being afraid to take this, I finally upped my dosage as suggested by my docotor little by little until the anxiey and panic subsided. I am now on a total of 3.75 mg per day divided into 5 small doses.I now don't even think twice about taking this and I don't have any anixety or panic. Everyone is different. I have been under tremendous stress for years and thank God, there is Xanax. I would like to try again the extended release, but it didn't help as well the last time I gave it a try. I was told by my doctor that once you can control the anxiety and panic for a period of time, you actually stop thinking about it and start living life without fear. So far, she has been right.
    Good luck to you.

Take care,

6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Started on effexor 4 years ago, and changed my life. Have switched to Cymbalta. They both help me a lot with the panic attacks and the pain.

I take 0.5 mg ativan (sometimes x2) everynight, have been doing so for 6 years and have never had to up the dose.

There was a time I could hardly get to the mailbox and back without having a panic attack!

Good Luck
    Sue in Ontario
  7. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

I suggest you taking Valdoxan. Valdoxan is the baseball bat over your head itself. To prolonge your sleep you might wanna add 2x0.5mg Clonasepam (Rivotril in EU). Excellent.
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

Tried most everything. This is the only med that has worked for me. Not only does it help with the horrible anxiety/panic but seems to help with pain, fatigue along with other CFS/FM symtoms. Then there are days nothing seems to work. By far xanax has been the best.

God Bless,
  9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I took Lorazepam for about 5 yrs, .5 to 2mg per day, depending on the level of anxiety I had. I never had any problem on days that I didn't take it...meaning I never felt any withdrawals from it.

For a few months, I took Klonopin. It has a longer half life, and I did feel withdrawals when I quit taking it. I had a dr at the time that was very much against these type of meds, he was a creep to say the least.

I've also known friends that have taken Buspar with good results, don't know the dose amt tho.

For herbal/supplement type stuff, I've taken valerian, chamomile, L-Theanine, Calms Forte (a homeopathic remedy), and lots of B vits.

My favorite was by far the Ativan (Lorazepam). I never felt sedated, it just calmed me a tiny bit, but my anxiety has never gotten too terribly bad. Good luck to you...H
  10. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

Prozac or zoloft will control panic attacks for most people - they did for me - but I got tired of dealing with the side effects and did not need an antidepressant. So what my dr. ended up prescribing for panic attacks was propranolol (Inderol), an old-fashioned beta blocker usually given for blood pressure.

It only takes a tiny dose (10 mg for me) to stop panic in its tracks; it blocks that adrenaline surge that gets the heart racing. That was always how my attacks would start out. With propranolol, if I took it as soon as I started getting "that feeling", the panic would never hit full-force. I don't have panic attacks any more but always keep this med on hand "just in case."

If you have low blood pressure already, this might not be a good option??? but the dose is so low it might still be okay.

ETA: my doc also had a number of singers/performers among her patients (this was in Nashville) and she said performers would sometimes take this drug to prevent 'stage fright'.[This Message was Edited on 03/15/2010]
  11. Sceptical

Sceptical New Member

For me:

1st choice: remeron: 7.5 mg (beyond that stimulating)
    2nd choice: add clonazepam (like 0.5 or 1 mg)
    3rd: Valdoxan and clonazempam (0.5-1mg)

In the latter case, watch out bc remeron interferes with Valdoxan. Do not use a dosage higher than 7.5 mg in any case.

12. nyer566

nyer566 New Member