What Meds Do You Take For Fibromyalgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jun 12, 2008.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Hi Guys!!!!

As we all know sometimes it is hard to find meds that actually help with the pain of fibro. I take neurontin and lyrica, but they do not help a lot. I have tried so many meds and it seems that I am having no luck. Was just wondering what meds other people take with fibro. and if you take anything that helps you with your pain. Please share.

Thanks Kriket
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am with you, I haven't found a med that I can tolerate that I can say helps with my fibro/cfs except for xanax.

Not sure if it just helps me tolerate the dd or if there is some actual help from it. I also take bufferin, after 6 years this has been the only combo I find helpful without the side effects.

That is one reason I question my Dx so often. Oh, an antibiotic is another. When I am on an antibiotic I get to feeling so much better, another reason I question when I am on an antibotic I have very little pain. Have been tested for lyme twice, both negative so not sure what I have.

Sometimes I think I have a sinus problem that has never been cleared up is why I feel so miserable.

Sorry, didn't mean to vent. Some of us just can't tolerate meds. If you are in a lot of pain I do hope you find one that will help.

God Bless,
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I take a lot of meds period, but I will list the ones I take for FM.

Lyrica 300mg - twice a day (helps nerve pain, IBS and stomach problems)

Oxycodone ER 20mg – Twice per day (for pain)

Triazolam .50mg – At bedtime (for sleep)

Diazepam 5mg – As needed for muscle spasms (up to twice daily)

Hydrocodone/APAP 7.5mg/500mg – As needed for breakthrough pain (up to 3 times daily)

Skelaxin 800mg - 3 times a day (muscle spasms and muscle relaxnt, also for stiffness)
  4. Suze

Suze New Member

I don't take any meds. I don't have a good opinion of most pharmceuticals, at least for me.

I wish I could tell you I've discovered how to remain pain-free with no meds, but all I can do is control the factors that are controllable.
  5. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I know some of us don't tolerate drugs very well at any dose, but I'm one of the lucky ones (in that regard, at least lol). I saw the same doc for 20 years before I moved to a different part of the state; she understood my medical needs really well and helped me come up with what has been for me, a winning combination.

Zoloft, 100mg daily

Wellbutrin, 300mg daily

Xanax, .5mg at bedtime

propranolol (beta blocker), 10mg (very low dose) with the Xanax at bedtime, and other times as needed when I'm overstimulated. This helps the bruxism, too, I guess by controlling the adrenaline surges.

Neurontin, 1200mg daily

Soma, 350mg tablets (I take 1/2 or a whole tablet, only when I really need it which isn't often any more.

Ibuprofen 800mg (again, only when I really need it for muscle pain, I have a lot of myofascial trigger points and it does help quite a lot but can mess with my stomach)

My previous doc didn't start me on the Neurontin; I asked my current doctor to let me try it after reading an article (I think published by NIH) last summer. I started on 900mg of Neurontin then we upped it to 1200. It has helped A LOT.

I don't have any side effects to speak of, except weight gain which I attribute to the Neurontin.

I know it may seem unusual to be on two ADs, but the Zoloft helps the IBS, anxiety, depression, and somewhat reduces pain level, and the Wellbutrin, which boosts dopamine, reduces the brain fog and seems to increase energy and focus a bit too.

Kriket, you are on both Lyrica and Neurontin? I thought they were very similar meds? How does the combination work for you?

layla1954 (Lee Ann)
  6. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Okay...here's my "cocktail" for FM.

Effexor 150MG - for serotonin boost (& depression)

Klonopin 10MG - for anxiety (helps with sleep)

Darvocet 10MG - as needed for pain

B12 Injections monthly - I have a deficiency

Muscle relaxers make me feel too spacey and I can't tolerate Vicodin. Tramadol and Ultram did nothing for me.
    I try to limit myself on the Darvocet. I will try a heating pad or hot shower first. I also do aqua therapy which has helped with the stiffness & pain. I swim in a lap pool and a therapy pool followed by a hot tub and sometimes a sauna. I try to do the water thing 2 to 3 times a week.

Good luck.

7. floridagrl

floridagrl New Member

After trying for a year to get a doctor who takes me seriously and belives me(THank God!) I think I am going to send her a card! I have finally found that the max dose of Cymbalta 120 mg in the morning, 200 mg of Provigil in the morning, and 5 or 10 mg of Valium at night and I finally feel like I used to on most days. I also get deep tissue massages and my massage therapist also gives me tmj treatments(she is awesome. Just found this combo finally so am trying to do more excercise- ordered a fm excercise tape by mayo clinic will be here next week. I used to be in very good shape but now pudgy. I have lsot 4 lbs though. If only the cymbalta didn't kill my libido. I have appealed to get my provigil covered by my ins co. Right now it 300 a month! $10 a pill but I will do whatever I have to do to keep my regimn. I can't imagine not having health insurance at this point. Have been without in the past. BTW I have taken every muscle relaxer known to man and finally started valium and that helped. Sorry so long. God Bless Hope you get relief.
  8. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

Effexor XL - 150 mg 1 per day
    Klonopin 1 mg 2 x per day (sometimes 3)
    Neurontin 300 mg 1x per day
    cyclobenzaprine 10 mg - 3x per day
    Tylenol with Codeine #3 - 3x per day
    oxaprozin 600 mg 1 2x per day
    I also take Vitamin D 1.25 grams 1x per week for D deficiency
    Vitamin B as well

I feel very good with this mixture, but my husband and psych believe that I should not be driving. I hate to say this but I do feel like I am on a high, but it is the happiest that I have been in several years!

I don't plan to stop, but am very careful to drive very little.
  9. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Magnesium 600mg and 1200mg Malic Acid.

Tramadol. and will be starting Robaxin ( muscle relaxer soon).

10. kriket

kriket New Member

Pain is just as toxic as meds, esp. when stand slumped over giving massages 9 hrs a day. I dont think "herbs" will get the job done.

[This Message was Edited on 06/16/2008]
  11. sillybirdladee

sillybirdladee New Member

I take
    Nuerontin 2400MG a day
    darvocet 100MG as needed
    celexa 40 mg in the AM
    I am high as a kite most of the time but am not hurting
  12. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

No meds for FM. Am on 50mg of Cymbalta for IBS. Tried most of the vitamins and supplements recommended here and on other boards, and none did anything.
  13. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Effexor 75 mg per day (for a few years now,for me a miracle drug)

Lorazepam 0.5 to 1 mg per day (for about 3 years now, have not had to increase the dosage)

Occasionally Tylenol 3 (maybe once every 2 months)

Regularly take sublingual B12 and MSM. When I remember, I take my multivitamins and calcium/magn/vit D.

sue in ontario
  14. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

1. For me, the Guaifenesin Protocol is the only thing that gets rid of the pain It targets the pain and gets rid of it instead of "masking" the pain, like other meds---that's just my experience. We're all different.

After the Guai kicked in:

2. I was able to start exercising, which helps my joints even more. I KNOW that seems impossible at first, but now it helps tremendously. I used to think my docs were nuts when they told me to exercise, but now I understand what they are talking about. The muscles tighten and tighten without movement, but now they are better. Exercise for me is a medicine. (Start very gradually and build up---2 minutes a day is a start!!)

3. Fish oil really helps too. It lubricates the joints. Helps with depression and cholesterol also. Ask your doc before you take it and make sure it doesn't interact with other meds (same with the Guai, although it rarely does).

Hope this helps.

Feel better and take care,

15. pearls

pearls New Member

1) Lyrica, 100 MG, 3 times daily for pain and sleep

2) Neurontin, 399 MG tabs, 3 times daily (am discontinuing Neurontin, and may need to increase Lyrica in the process)

3) Pantoprazole Sod 40 MG, 1 time daily for heartburn

4) Lunesta, 3 MG at betime for sleep

5) Mirtazapine 15 MG tab, 2 hours before bedtime for sleep (this sedative helps the briain to quiet down)

6) Vicodin as needed (hardly ever needed since Lyrica)

Lyrica should pretty much take the pain away. For anyone taking it who does not have this result, there might be one of two reasons:

Number 1, you might need more of it.

Number 2, perhaps you have something else other than fibromyalgia.

16. lvdoxies

lvdoxies New Member

That sounds so familiar I am Terri AKA-lvdoxies and I was taking Effexor which was helping until I had a bad flare up my Dr. is new in a new state and all my records are archived so he doesnt know what to do with me anyways back on track effexor , Xanax which is the only thing that even helps calm me !! was on ibu 3 times daily well my Doc put me on cymbalta for my flare up all I wanted was a kenalog shot but no way jose the cymbalta put me in a really high mania then a panic attack so I went off for a few days now he wants me to take it again to make sure it's bad for me lol anyways the best treatment I had was my doc in vegas methotrexate, xanax, kenalog shots boy I was ready to go to works!!
    now I can barly get out of bed!! what to do my doc has no clue!!! Helpless and no insurance !! Terri
  17. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Hi Kricket,

Well, my morning pills consist of:

Effexor XR 250 mg (I am bipoloar II, but I think this has helped a bit with the pain.)

Ultram ER 300mg (this is new for me but I'm not noticing much of a difference in my pain levels)

Lamictal 100 mg
    1 multi-vit
    1 antioxident formula gelcap
    1 super b-complex
    1 fish oil

1 fish oil
    zanaflex (tizanidine) 8 mg (This muscle relaxer has been a God-send)

I take a few other things for other stuff, but I agree that stretching and exercise makes me feel the best, once I can get started.

18. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Here's my list. Unfortunately, they are not working very well at this time. I just saw my primary dr today and he made a couple of changes, so we'll see. I am also geting referred to a pain mgmt dr and have an appt with an Orthopedic Surgeon appt next week.

Norco 10mg, up to 8/day
    Prozac 20mg
    Effexor XR 75mg
    Ativan 1mg at bedtime
    Voltaren 2/day...anti-inflammatory
    Trazodone 50mg for sleep
    Ritalin (time release) 20mg...just got the rx today, haven't started taking yet
  19. mamacat

mamacat New Member

Now just for the record I have developed a very big tolerance for pain meds as I've been on them for so long plus I have many other issues going on besides just Fibro!

I take:
    OxyContin 80mg twice a day

Oxycodone IR or Roxicodone 30mg 1-2 3 times day for breakthrough (yes you'd think nothing could breakthrough the above but I have many damaged discs in my spine, cervical and lumbar plus carpal tunnel syndrome and peripheral neuropathy in my legs.)

Motrin 600mg usually 2-3 times a day

Soma/Carisprodol 350mg up to 3 times a day muscle spasms and sleep

Xanax 1mg which I generally break in two during the day and take 1 at bedtime with a soma (I have panic/anxiety disorder plus loss of my husband/best friend/cousin all in a year and live on the edge of poverty month to month enough to give anybody anxiety!

Estratest hormone replacement

Sam-E for depression and arthritis (Nutritional Supplement)

Holy Basil for depression/blood sugar balance/overall physical balance

Provigil 100mg 2 times a day just started it with a new Fibro Doc
    she also prescribed "Lyrica" which I am pleased to hear good things about, as of yet I don't have any still trying to get it covered!
    And even with all that I still don't feel too good alot of the time once in a while I have a few good days but that's the nature of the beast! Wish I could get body work and acupuncture done but SSI doesn't provide enough money for much at all!
    Take Care All!
  20. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

through the years took many,but felt worse.
    I"m careful what I eat no prepackaged foods.I take my vitamins and garlic.
    and advil for pain sometimes,but I find for my muscle .s my clicker and my cane works the kinks ou the best for me.
    and tennis balls.warm baths in my whirlpool tub.
    relaxing music helps me also .I have a thunderstorm tape its great. and prayer.