What meds help you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DonnaNana, Feb 20, 2006.

1. DonnaNana

DonnaNana New Member

Hello,

I'm on Ultram,Darvocet and Soma. There are just not working. Are there any other meds out there that help better?
    I'm new here and just trying to get help with my meds. And what to say to the doctor to get more help.

Thank you, Nana
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have a whole grocery bag full of meds that either did not work or I just could not take due to side efffects.
    Every body is different, I would suggest asking for samples or getting a week ( 7 to 10 day ) prescription so you don't waste money.
    Right now I use Flexeril or Zanaflex ( I alternate so I won't build up a tolerance)1 in the morning 1 at night.
    I use Valium in between if needed, sometimes I take at night to help with sleep.
    For pain I use Darvocet.
    I have pregablin (lyrica) that I use when I get bad nerve pain, I can't take it everyday it makes me feel to dazed and confused ( I feel like that naturally!:).
    I get migraines as well, valium and darvocet help best with those.
    No miracle meds yet, but they help.
    Good luck finding something to help you.
    There are a lot of meds so don't give up, it just may take a few tries!:)
    Claudia
    P.S. Don't forget rest ( as much as possible), gentle exercise ( if possible)eating a healthy diet and staying away from stress as much as possible!:)
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

What helps me the best is:

Cymbalta - 30 mg 2 x day
    Neurotin - 300 mg 3 x day
    Voltaren (mainly for arthritis)
    Zanaflex - 6 mg at bedtime
    sleep with CPAP machine and oxygen

I also have Lortab 7.5 for my back pain; however, it doesn't help my fibro pain at all.

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. marw

marw New Member

I think that what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. On top of that our bodies seem to change...at least, some of us....and so we then have to change the meds.

At present I take:
    1. Vicodin 5/500 every 4 hours for pain
    2. Ativan .5 mm every 4 hours at the same time (for Anxiety

At night I take:
    1. Vicodin 5/500 as usual
    2. Ativan 1 mm (more helps sleep)
    3. Valium 2-5 mm (also helps relax me for sleep)

Note: I was taking Benadryl for sleep, but am thinking to discontiue it, because I get groggy in the a.m. from it.

For Flares: I add Zanaflex, and leave off the Valium.

P.S. I cannot take any anti-depresents or nerve meds or anything much that affects my brain chemistry, except for the Ativan and Valium. Too many side-effects.

I also have a lot of trouble with IBS and absolutely nothing I've tried has worked, so I'm looking for things for that. THe Bentyl and Levsin do not help. Neither has fiber or diets or supplements. I'm beginning to think it is not IBS, and maybe something else. Zel-norm nearly killed me, the cramps were so bad.

I also have Migraine, but Imitrex shots works beautifully on that, so no problem with those.

Hope this helps.

Margaret