What my new Rhuemy told me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Astarte, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Astarte

Astarte New Member

First off, I really love this doctor. He gets FM totally. He did all the pressure points, asked me several questions, listened to my pain complaints, what caused them to get worse, what helped the pain. How my life was different from before. What could I no longer do. What about jobs and what could I do now that I could committ to. He wanted to know meds I was taking now, what I had taken in the past, what didn't work, what the reactions were etc. He really listened and took the time to have my blood tests faxed during our visit.

The asked about my history...when did I notice the symptoms. Well it was when I had a bad fall that resulted in needing both knees scoped, a disc replaced in my neck and a few fractured teeth. Now...I've read this before but not seen it here at all...he told me it is more likely that a person's body that goes through a trauma like mine, or an illness that was very serious...are more likely to develop FM.

He said that they are not sure what causes this, but for some reason the body is getting signals of being in severe pain to mild pain. But the trauma is what causes it. And no, there is no cure yet for ir as they need to find the medical reason for it. The pain attacks muscles and tendons.

Then he told me to think about applying for SSD because it's very unlikely that with my symptoms and severe and constant pain I will be able to committ to a job. So this is why I'm working with Binder and binder..and yes stress greatly increases pain too.

He told me that since none of the anti seizures meds aren't working for me, I may have to depend on pain meds like Vicodan for maintenance pain medication. Which I don't think about unless I am in pain. He also informed me that only 1% of patients can become addicted and that is when a patient isn't monitored by their MD or buying more meds on the street.

What do you all think? It's everything I've researched on my own, and from nurse friends I have. He said diet won't help, but sleep in very important. If you are not getting a good night sleep on a regular basis, your pain symptons will get worse. Makes sense to me.

Star
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and keep w/this good dr...i wished i had him...

hugs

jodie
  3. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

How great for you to find a dcotor that not only understands you and the pain your in but he bleives that he can help ease your pain with pain meds .

Don't get that statement wrong but I know a doctor in town here that treats patients with FM but will not under any condidions prescribe you any KIND OF PAIN MEDS AT ALL EVER.
    So it is good to have a doctor how understands that you may need stronger pain meds as time passes.

He sounds great and I love it that he really understands you and has listend to what you had to say and then told you about trauma causing fibro. What a interesting therory . I am impressed.

Good luck , I found a great doctor too but I had to sign a contract that I will see one doctor for my pain and only that doctor can prescribe Narcitic pain meds and I must use the same pharmacy all the time.
    But in the past 4 years I have had NO problems with the contract.
    He is right aobut the 1% addiction rate. I am on MSContin and MSIR, my family hates it and tell me often that I am addicted to my Morphine. But I have found that when I take it like I should I don't end up usuing as much as my doctor has prescribed. I am to take my MSContin 5x a day and I have days were I am so tired that I will dose off and on all day and then sicne I am not out and about I don't take the amount of meds I should so I end up with extra and at the end of the month I will tell my doctor that I have some left over and not to prescribe me some till I have the old used up.

I don't get that HIGH that people taalk about. I do get tired and sleepy but I don't ever know if it is from the fibro & CMP or my pain meds.

I am so happy for you that you found the doctor you need to have.
    HUGS TO YOU,
    Rosemarie
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

it sounds like you found an excellent dr who really understands. good for you.
    rachel
  5. luvnewcomb

luvnewcomb New Member

where is he located. I'm ready to go anywhere.

L
  6. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Star it sounds like you have found a good doctor. I'd stay with him. He sounds a lot like mine. I didn't understand the part about "your ani-seizure meds not working for you". Do you have seizures too? Or are you taking them for pain? I have Epilepsy too, so that caught my eye. What seizure med are you taking?

I have a really good doctor too but he is very careful about giving prescriptions for pain meds. And to tell you the truth I appreciate it. I don't want to be in the 1% that would get addicted to pain meds. He recently gave me a script for Lidoderm. It is wonderful when I'm really hurting!

And I do believe what your doctor said about trauma or illness causing Fibromyalgia. That's how mine started. I was seriously ill with 2 very serious bacterial infections and in the hospital and over the next year developed Fibro. My doctor believes that's what caused mine too.
    I hope you continue liking the new doc. Good luck!
  7. Astarte

Astarte New Member

Apparently anti siezure meds help with the pain of Fibro,or can help...as well as with some migraines, which I also suffer from. It's neuro that seems to be the constant factor of FM symptoms. There'something that goes wrong when we have these trauma's. That is still the mystery.

I've never heard of Lido???

I'm just thrilled that this doctor was 180 degress from my GPMed...she was sure I was addicted to my painmeds, that's wy I was in pain, not to take them etc. Yea, you know when you have a flare up and your told don't take something that will ease your pain? I was having suicidal thoughts, and then took them anyway. Screw her.

The sleeping meds he gave me aren't working...it's called Clondazipam 1mg? Anyone heard of it? I was taking "Amnesia" Ambien. It was horrible. I do not sleep at all. Up till 3am, wide awake till I force myself to sleep and then I need to sleep till 11am to get enough sleep to function.
  8. Astarte

Astarte New Member

He's Dr. Spencer in Lone Tree at the Colorado Arthritis Center near Skyridge Medical Center.

What's great is that I don't feel guilty for taking a pain pill when I'm in pain anymore. Just need to find a good sleeping pill. Ambien bad...Clondiazepam doesn't work, 1mg. Calling him tomorrow.

Just feeling sane is a gift in itself.

Star
  9. petesdragon

petesdragon New Member

I keep forgetting this until a doctor reminds me again. If I keep a steady dose of pain meds in my system I don't get pain as bad as when I take them after the pain starts and I try to keep up with the pain.

So happy for your finding a good Rheumie!