What my PCP says about FM..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinlou, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Hi,
    For one thing my PCP believes in Fibromyalgia, now that is great news! He tells me they have been doing new research on FM, ok that is good. We talked about the trauma, stress etc. Then he tells me it goes away with age....what??? Have you heard that?? It goes away with age??

I don't think so..do you? I am 52 years old and I know I have had this awhile. I thought we have many of us that are senior citizens.

He says as you get older your stress changes and gets less (I don't know about that)and the FM goes away. Boy I can only dream, it just goes away?

Have any of you gotten this info from a doctor. I have never read about this.

I should of asked him where he gets his info. I told him the only way I would have less stress is if I got dementia or something.

Anyway, didn't we have a post on our ages???
    If anyone knows let me know.
    Thanks,
    Cindy
  2. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

but, I'm so exhausted right now and when I read things like what your doctor said it really bugs me. So I guess if FMS is going to disappear when we get older...how much older I wonder...why should they even bother finding a cure. Sound like BS to me.

Sorry, told you I was worn out and feeling crabby.

Lola
  3. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Lolalee,
    Hi, I agree with you 100% I think it is BS too. At least he believes in FM, even if his info is way off.
    Cindy[This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  4. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

Maybe your PCP just said this because he thought it would make you feel more positive.

I often find that FM information brochures give the impression that you just get some exercise, take a few anti depressants, and some pain meds, and the FM just 'gets better.'

There seems a general attitude that if we think positive it will all go away.

Unfortunately this attitude (even if well meant) belittles the reality that we have to live with daily.

I agree as said above..B.S. It sounds like a good idea to ask your PCP where he got this 'info'.
  5. msmac

msmac New Member

though the fibro seems to lessen, most of us will get arthritis, etc, which can be worse if we are heavier, weaker, from the effects of fighting the fibro for so many years.

I am definitely noticing changes, but not in a good way. Yes, the fibro is lessening but it is totally overshadowed by the arthritis, and the fact that we experience hyper pain state makes us still feel BAD!
  6. jole

jole Member

That those of us who have FM will not die FROM FM but will die WITH FM. I tend to agree with him. No cure, no improvement. At least not at this point. That's what he said.

Friends- Jole
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Cindy:

I would take his comments with a grain of salt. Of course, they do not know everything. Can we expect them to? My guess: probably not.

nyrofan
  8. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

My PCP also believes in FM, but he never said it will just "go away." I'm not sure where your doctor got this info. The PCP I have did say that it will take another four to five years until they know how to treat it better.

Laura
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

What about I didn't get it until age 55?? Huh?

Doctors. Never ceases to amaze me the things I hear. Of course, since doctors are just people, we all are a bit wacky, but if he thinks it goes away with age, maybe it is because other illnesses take over get more attention.

Or, we age and die and it goes away. EH?

Slightly cynical right now.

So much for his suggestion.

Sue
  10. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

there is less stress unless you have any life at all and then there are always going to be things in life that gives us stress. I left work 2 yrs ago and my FM just keeps getting worse.

Maybe he is thinking that seniors have less stress but thats not the case either.

Suzette
  11. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I think the doctor is NUTS!!! I think once you have it, you got it for life. The syptoms may decrease less the stress- but no one can totally escapes the stress of everyday life. It is evitable.

12. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

This is insulting nonsense!! I wouldn't like being talked to like a child. I am 70 and this Fibro is getting worse and worse for me. Sorry I'm so angry, but I appreciate the post. I think most of our PCPs have no real info on this.
    Arlene
  13. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

... but I didn't believe it either!

When by PCP first read the Rheumy's diagnosis of FM -- he said that was a good thing then, as it is "self-limiting" and will go away in 3 to 5 years! Of course I'd already been trying to get a diagnosis for 8 or 9 years at the time (so it should have already been gone!)

I've had it now all together for about 12 years, and it sure isn't getting any better. It would be nice if it were true though. :)

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  14. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies to this post. I can't see how fibro could just go away either. Until the they know more about it... we most likely will suffer.

We can find things that help symptoms, but not get rid of the cause. One day people may not have to suffer the way we do.
    We just have to try different things to see what helps.
    That is why this board is so good. We are a group of people that share a common goal...to get well and live our life the best we know how.

"We are the champions my friends, we'll keep on fighting til the end"
    Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2006]
  15. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

darnit all i am 41 years... and countying...we have older people on here still dealing w/it...i think when they get rid of mosquitos forever then that is when fibro and cfs will go away...

jodie
  16. turquoise

turquoise Member

The only things that get better with age are wine and cheese, and unfortunately I can't touch either one with a 1,000 pole anymore!
  17. mom4three

mom4three New Member

it goes away with age because when you get really old and you don't move and are bed ridden and have alzheimer's then you don't remember anything..

What?? My doctor bless her says you know Tracy this is all new for everyone and I am so glad you come her with your information. It really helps me really know FMS.
  18. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

My doctor told me this too, that the symptoms lessen with age. go figure
  19. MssDarla

MssDarla New Member

This all upsets me.

All this stress of fighting the doctors and SS. and not to mention friends to "why I don't want to go anywhere", family, again to why I don't think the partys are fun and strangers that look at me weird because I ask for help loading my groceries.
    I don't feel good and this is making me not feel good. lol

If I could stand for any length of time or didn't have so much brain fog I could go on strike somewhere but where? oops brain fog
    If I had the Drs e-mail addys I would send them this message board link lol
    Naw I just want to go lay down. I don't have the energy for it all.
    Now even as I read this myself I"d say I sound weird lol
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2006]