What new mattress to get: firm or plush?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hollie9, Aug 18, 2003.

1. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I don't have FM (I have CFS), I have a husband with arthritus joint pain that seems to be worsening.

Question For FM people: Is it better to get a firm mattress or a plush? I'm looking at Spring Air and love the back support, the plush is not super padded like the pillowtops but has more soft stuff than my eggcrate foam pad that I typically use.

Do any of you like firm mattresses?

I've read the other posts about how everyone likes their CuddleEwes and other pads, but what about the mattress?

Hollie
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hollie, we bought a firm mattress and I swear it nearly killed me I was in so much agony. I use a featherbed over the mattress.

If I could I'd have a water bed. Can't afford one right now.

Michelle
  3. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I have a pillowtop bed that's firm. I hated it. I finally just bought a feather bed to put on top and it does help, so I go with cushy. No matter which I use, though, I have to sleep slightly elevated because of rib pain.

I would think that someone with arthritis would want something softer to sleep on.
  4. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

Thanks to your responses I think I should get the plush because it is quite a bit softer that the firm with eggcrate foam. It has the same back support as the firm but somewhat more difficult to feel with more padding.

I'm looking at the Spring Air Back Supporter line, I have a sore lower back from the auto accident that I believe contributed to my CFS.

A lot of you like pillowtops, do you buy the ones I saw at the mattress store?

Do you ever find the pillowtops are hot to sleep in?

I'm staying away from a pillowtop mattress because I once bought one and the foam inside it was so hot at night we were sleeping in trenches of sweat.

I guess you'all are saying you don't like very firm mattresses if you couldn't have lots of extra padding on top?

Hollie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/18/2003]
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Many have a Sleep Number bed by Select Comfort which has air and you can add or release the air to go from soft to hard depending on how you are feeling at the time. My sister has one and loves it. The next bed I get will be one of these.
  6. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I've been wondering how these really work, didn't know it was air. Has anyone here tried one?

Do the pillowtops ever get hot? I think that memory foam traps heat in.

Hollie
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I prefer a firm mattress with a plush pillow top. That`s always been most comfortable for me.

For those with the Select Comfort air mattress, do they feel cold? My BIL had some type of air mattress and he had said that it felt cold and he didn`t like that part of it.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2003]
  8. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I thought that the pillow top would give me enough softness, but that my back would feel better on a firmer surface. ( I had been on a water bed prior to this bed) But, since then, I have found that I still have too much pain on a pillow top, and I just bought a memory foam topper. I am waking up considerably less achey so far. It has only been a week so I could just be in a better pain stretch!! I have fibro, btw. But, I would think that an arthritus suffer would also benefit from the foam.
  9. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I guess I'll exchange for the "super plush" today. I woke up with neck ache today on the firm mattress with the eggcrate foam on it. Not enough padding.

If the plush needs more padding I guess I'll have to get a cuddle ewe or something.

I'm still afraid the memory foam will be hot.

The mattress salesman only allows one exchange.

Hollie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/19/2003]
  10. catsii

catsii New Member

Hollie, i have a tempur-pedic mattress. Was worried about the heat thing too..i have such bad night sweats and just plain hot natured..at all times !
    This mattress has helped me so much. I've mentioned it in here before..I can't say enough good things about it..know i sound like a salesperson for the company. Since i started using this mattress, i can get up in mornings, straighten up and also my feet bend..before i felt like i was skating on marbles. The only problem with tempurpedics is they are so expensive..but I will never regret the investment.

Good luck
    catsii
  11. jka

jka New Member

hi hollie-
    we bought a pillow top.it was the best thing we ever did!i sleep much better-i have fibro and lupus-and don't wake up every time i move.my husband also has a bad back.we found a discount place and they were half of what they charge in the stores.
    kathy
  12. wle

wle New Member

...............today, but I have that mattress that they drop the bowling ball on and the pins don't fall over......
    Love it. It is about 10 years old and just starting to show some ware. We will buy the same thing when we have to replace it. WLE
  13. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I got the plush and loved sleeping on it last night. It wasn't hot and husband (with arthritus) really liked it too. I don't know what I was thinking that a firm mattress was the one to get.

I love this mattress, didn't want to get out of bed this morning, it felt like heaven.

Thanks all...I may put a memory foam topper on my other mattress but I also wanted to try Cuddle Ewe which says not to use other foam.

Hollie
  14. IngyW68

IngyW68 New Member

Hi there,

I have FM/CFS and had been tossing and turning each night on my mattress (husband's snoring doesn't help either:)) THe cost of a new mattress was just too much for us. So, I found a bed topper at Bed Bath and BEyond that is about 4 and 1/2 inches thick. It has the memory foam on the bottom and down on top of that. We just put it on top of our old mattress and I am sleeping on heaven now. I LOVE it. I can't feel the old mattress underneath since this is so thick. We just bought deeper sheets at BB and Beyond as well and the whole purchase was $275. WHich definitely beats the cost of a new mattress!

THat's just my two cents. Hope you have a pain lite day.

Ingrid