What NON FICTION book are you reading? Need ideas

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I always get good ideas from you all. Not really interested in health books.

I read Marley and Me and In the Presence of My Enemies that you guys said to read.They were good reads.

My two favs are THe Glass Castle NON FICTION and Afgan Girl on the Other side of the Sky (she won Good Morning Americas contest out of like 20,000) for best story also non fiction,.

I'm not much of a fiction reader!
  2. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

Not sure if this is your scene, but i just finished Maureen Dowd's ARE MEN NECESSARY?. It's sarcastic and informative at the same time. It certainly didn't make me want to give up on men...it's a great read and a good break from all the health books!

GoAskAlice
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

and started a third. All show biz:
    Teri Garr
    Norman Jewison
    Maureen O'Hara

Am also reading a book on playing bridge and one of Malcolm Gladwell's bestsellers. (He has 2 simultaneously.)

Now that I'm retired I spend most of my time reading, doing crossword puzzles, listening to music and monkeying around on this machine.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Rene:

I am re-reading 'A Civil Action'. Terrific book!

Nyrofan
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just finished Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins - it's very good, very informative and very readable.

I'm glad you started this thread - I really want to read Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky. I think I heard an excerpt from it on the radio once, and never knew the name of the book it was from but always wished I did.

And I too read A Civil Action like Nyrofan, and it is very good - long, involved but well worth reading.

Another very good one is Miles From Nowhere - true story of a couple who bicycled around the world, told by the woman.

And Nevery Cry Wolf by Farley Mowatt - very very good. A movie was made from the book and it is very good as well.

Mary
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

A movie was made out of A Civil Action, starring John Travolta and it was surprisingly good. I usually dislike movies that are made from books because they usually change the story and they're awful, but this one was very good and John Travolta was great in it, one of his better roles.

Mary
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

aNYTHING HE WRITES IS VERY READABLE and often funny.

I am reading Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" which is excellent science book for someone like me who does noit grasp science that well. It is really great. I also enjoyed both the book and movie Civil Action.

Love Anne C
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2006]
  8. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

The Left Behind series is awesome. I also love Frank Perretti and Ted Dekker. The just recently wrote a book together called "House". I read it in one sitting! I couldn't put it down! For lighter fare I really enjoy Lilian Jackson Braun's "Cat Who..." series. Humorous murder mysteries.
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

Right now I'm almost done with Project Day Lily. Written by Garth and Nancy Nicolson, the famous mycoplasma researcher who investigated the Gulf War Illness.

It's put into a fiction format to protect some identities, but its a really true story of their lives trying to help vets.

It involves true crime, medical and research criminal activies; murder of a colleague; their many-times attempted murders and many facts about America's continuing search for bio-weapons, which is illegal under certain treaties!

Paris Clarence reviewed the book for the National CFIDS Foundation's newsletter, The National Forum. She said "...shows the readers a birds-eye view of how, deep in the heart of Texas, something diabolical and sinister is going on with Research Technocrats at a world famous National Cancer Institute that services Cancer patients from around the globe".

"The author Garth Nicolson has published many times on the mycoplasmas found in GWS, HIV, Rheumatoid Arthritis, FM, and CFIDS/ME.
    While mycoplasmas are not causative, they are very damaging", she also stated.

The Nicolson's have a treatment protocol for these illnesses at immed.org site, which I downloaded and printed. It's about 7 pages, with antib. and supplement therapy and timing of them.

I love medical exposes! And this is the Mother of All Exposes! I can't wait to see reactions to this book. Maybe it will be slow, but I think it will be important.

It can be bought at Xlibris.com in paperback. It sounds stuffy, but it is a real thriller and true!

findmind

10. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I think they made videos based on his book's.

I rented them from the library and loved them!

He really worked on the animal's in the story, even though the story lines were acted. Not a documentory.

Claudia
  11. Juloo

Juloo Member

I read mostly non-fiction as well. This book I'm going to recommend was written several years ago, but I ended up buying three copies (hardback, softcover, and paperback) after I borrowed it from the library. Sometimes I have two copies 'in circulation' to friends at the same time.

When she finished it, my aunt had her book club read it, and another friend read it, then read it aloud to her neighbor w/macular degeneration. The name is "Expecting Adam: A True Story of Birth, Rebirth, and Everyday Magic" by Martha Beck. A quick summary would be that a pair of Harvard grad students discover they are pregnant with their second child, with Down syndrome. This is the story of what happened next.

Believe me, while that's the basis for the book, it has NOTHING to do with the book itself. A better teaser would be that Chapter One is the recounting of a janitor, who channels from 'beyond', and her parrot. Chapter Two begins with a recounting of the month 'It All Went to Hell'.

So there isn't much I can say that will actually tell you what to expect, but I think that's rather the point. I haven't laughed or cried (yes, I realize this sounds like a complete cliche'!) so much with any other book. Not interested in Harvard grad students? Babies with Down syndrome? Read it anyway! It made me think a lot about relaxing into what the universe has laid out for us, and that's a really good subject for those of us who feel we are driven by our illness, not our own wills.
  12. Rene

Rene New Member

Juloo I've ordered the book just now from the library. Thats how I feel about Afgan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky. Even if you don't care about Afgan its not about it and she gets to America.

Keep the good Ideas coming. SOme books my library doesn't carry when I just checked.
  13. Juloo

Juloo Member

I like hearing how you *feel* about the books...that connection with the reader is the best kind of personal recommendation I can imagine. I get book catalogs like 'Common Reader' and even 'Bas Bleu', and I have an immediate desire to order just about everything in them because the reviews are so heartfelt.

I will look up Afgan Girl!
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

I'm reading "Freakonomics" right now, it's an easy read even with brain fog, a plus for me!

The author puts interesting real life examples into context, for instance, if drug dealers make so much $$$$, why do most still live with their mothers????

Lots of good suggestions here; "Confessions of an Ec. Hit Man" was also good!

all the best,
    Victoria
  15. sues1

sues1 New Member

A book on curing Fibro/Cfids.......(Ooops, sorry, could not resist).