What % of folks on long-term doxy have significantly improved?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Jan 16, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

during my last communication with the ffc in atlanta, the doctor mentioned trying doxy due to evidence of a prior (not active) mycoplasma infection. i'm currently trying to decide if i want to restart my ffc treatment (that would likely be the next step if i went back) and wondering how many folks on long-term doxycycline have seen significant improvment. i just read an article about a study performed on gulf war syndrome patients with myco infections that showed no difference between doxy and a placebo during the year-long study! so what's the deal? are antibiotics the answer or not??

eddie
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Can you explain what this is?
  3. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

doxycycline is an broad-spectrum antibiotic commonly prescribed to lyme patients and others suffering from stealth bacterial infections like mycoplasma pneumonia.

eddie
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Hi Eddie,
    I used doxy for about a week, but could not tolerate it. I switched to Azithryomycin (Zithromax) and have been on it for about a month. This is to treat Lyme. I also have mycoplasma pneumoniae.

Time will tell if this works out for me. Also taking other treatments in the FFC lyme protocol, although am not yet taking everything.

Have you tried asking this question or searching for this info at lymenet dot org? Perhaps there are more people there who could answer you from their own experience.

Take care,
    Hopeful4
  5. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

curious too
  6. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i'm currently taking an antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection and i honestly don't know how anyone tolerates them long-term. the yeasties run wild on me when i take antibiotics unless i'm hyper-vigilant about diet and chow on raw garlic all day. i don't have lyme and my mycoplasma numbers dodn't indicate an active infection so the side effects outweigh the benefits for me, especially when the benefits seem so inconsistent.

eddie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was on Doxy for 2 1/2 years and had no problems at all and the Doxy really helped me. Without it, I would be consumed by mycoplasmas. When on any kind of ABX, one has to be sure to take a very good probiotic so the yeast overgrowth will not occur. In fact, everyone over the age of 35 should be on a good probiotic to prevent Leaky Gut Syndrome.

Doxy is the first ABX of choice for cell-wall-deficient bacteria but there are others if one cannot tolerate the Doxy. ABX will usually cause a strong immune reaction and Herxing and docs almost never tell their patients about it or the need for probiotics. When people start to feel lousy on the ABX, they often stop taking them, thinking they are allergic. This can cuase mutations in the pathogens which then become resistant to ABX. It is less likely to happen with a drug like Doxy because the Doxy doesn't outright kill the bacteria. It disables their ability to invade our cells and they starve to death in the bloodstream.

Pathogens left untreated in the system become more and more difficult to treat as time goes by. With long-term treatment with the Doxy, one usually takes if for six months and then pulses off and on. Eventually, one can just stay off of it without the symptoms' returning.

Good luck to you with whatever decision you make.

Love, Mikie
  8. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

How many mgs of doxy were you taking per day. When i go up to the 4- 100 mg. my pain skyrockets. I noticed if I stay on the 2 I'm not as bad.

2-1/2 yrs. It's going to be a long haul. Also I've bought one of those zappers. Use it about 2 hrs. per day. It's the little Terminator II. Low voltage.

9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The usual dose for Doxy is 200-300 mgs./day. I've noticed that the FFC's are prescribing 400 mgs. I don't know whether that's just for those with Lyme or also those with mycoplasma infections. The 200 mgs/day seemed to work well for me.

I have found that using the zapper in the auto mode is the most efficient. It takes about an hour and pulses on and off. I only use it in the manual mode when I know I'm getting sick with a virus. I use it 20 mins. straight and then run it through the auto mode. That seems to work well for me.

Love, Mikie