What one drug/treatment has helped you the most?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

For me, I wouldn't give up DHEA.

I would love to see a long list of replies to this to see if we see a pattern.

Thanks TIM
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

I Have a couple but if just one, I would say L-Tryptophan. Taken with Vit-B6. Addresses sleep, anxiety, depression and pain. That's a lot of bang for your buck.

3. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

I would say Testosterone, Thyroid and Growth Hormone but secondarily DHEA and Pregnenalone. Also Tryptophan and GABA for sleep.
  4. hobbler

hobbler New Member

Hi tim

I am in the UK and recently started a new med called Lyrica or Pregabalin.. Its used i believe in patients who have epilepsy but I was prescribed it for nerve pain..

Although it hasn't stopped my pain im sure it has helped some.. when i started taking it i was getting desperate and we had run out of meds for me to try.. im allergic to codeine so am unable to take a lot of pain meds that others can such as co-codamol, co-dramadol etc...

So although i am still in pain, i believe the levels have dropped a little since i started the Lyrica.. Im only on small doses which are gradually being built up over several months... only side effects are dizzy spells which arent as severe as they were when i started the drug.. but if u cant abide dizzy turns, i wouldnt recommend this new drug..

Hobbler
    x
  5. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

How much L-Tryptophan? and is it best taken away from meals on an empty stomach?

Greg
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Where can you buy it?
  7. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I too take Dhea and bio identical hormones. Its been life changing.
    poodlemum
  8. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

Tryptophan is on the market again. It was banned at one time due to some bad product. Coincidentally, it was banned 4 days before SSRI's came on the market (I don't trust Drug Companies...arggggh).

I buy mine from the internet from VITACOST. I take 1500mg 2 hours before bed with 500mg GABA. The key is to take it at least 2 hours before bed on an emtpy stomach, otherwise you'll still end up looking at the ceiling. With tryptophan, I no longer need Ambien or any other drug to help with sleep. You should also take B6 at some point during the day to help suppress premature conversion to seratonin, I take a multi B50 in the morning.

If you take DHEA you might also want to take it before bedtime rather than in the morning. DHEA has some Cortisol suppressing ability which will help with sleep.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  9. elliespad

elliespad Member

Was banned briefly back around 1989 or 1990 due to a CONTAMINATED batch of L-Tryptophan. Interestingly, this announcement came JUST 4 DAYS before PROZAC hit the market. Supposedly, it caused a syndrome called Eosinophelia Myalgia Syndrome (EMS), a flu-like condition which caused wide spread muscle pain. Some people died .

HERE IS THE GOOD PART: On February 9, 1993, a United States government patent (#5185157) was issued to use L-Tryptophan to treat, and cure EMS, the very same deadly flu-like condition which prompted the FDA to take L-Tryptophan off the market in 1989.

So, L-Tryptophan has been alive and well since around 1993. I use 1500 mg. at night. MUST be taken with Vit B-6 so Seratonin can be produced in the brain and not the intestines. Take AWAY from other protein sources, as the the amino acids will compete for uptake in the brain.

L-Tryptophan is available online without a prescription. I DO NOT recommend the Brand Doctors Best. It is crap. I have used, and like, BIOS, Craig, and Nokomis Nutritions' own brand. It is also available by prescription through compounding Pharmacists.

Sleep well, be happy. [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2006]
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

1. Cymbalta and Neurotin

2. Sleep Study performed resulting in me sleeping with a CPAP machine and oxygen.