What one Historical thing is your State famous for?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Nov 23, 2008.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Thought this might be a fun subject,,,,,,,

Montana is famous for "Custers Last Stand" ,,,and The "Lewis and Clark" Exspedition,,They discovered the american west and the head waters of the Missouri River ,,,which Branches out into three forks ,,,,they named them ,,,The Madison,,,the Galliton and the Clark Fork,,,,,

also there is a state park named after them,,,,and of course "The Lewis and Clark Cavarens",,which is a series of underground caves with the stalagmite forms in it,,,,Their trail is landmarked and can be followed in some areas,,,,,,and we have 2 National Parks,,,,Yellowstone,,,,,and,, Glacier,,,,,,,,,,I just thought it would be fun to see what other States are Famous for!,,,,,,,,,Sis
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Diane!,,,,thats what i'm talkin' about!,,,I love American History!,,,,Sis
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi Kevin Dianes Hubby!,,,
    I think i mentioned that my Grandparents are West Virginians,,,on both sides,,,so i'm right in there with ya on the bgv thing!,,,lol,,,,Thanks for your reply!,,,,,,I'm off to check out the websites!

The only famous person i can think of besides George armstrong Custer and Lewis and clark is Evil Kinevil ,,,,oh and some very Famous Native American war Chiefs,,,,,,,,,,,Stopping back in to say i check out the Cass RR too,,,,very interesting!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2008]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I've lived in California for the last 40 years. I 'spect CA is most famous for:

the Gold Rush

The Golden Gate Bridge

Grew up in Minnesota. When I moved to CA and still had Minnesota plates on the car, people would come up to me and start talking about

cold weather and/or

So I guess that's what it's most famous for, although some might mention the Iron ore range or Paul Bunyan.

Lots of famous people from Minnesota including some who spent time in Hollywood like Judy Garland, Jane Russell, The Andrews Sisters, Winona Ryder and Bob Dylan.

And then there was John Pillsbury, Charles Lindberg, Sinclair Lewis, Roger Maris, the Mayo Brothers, Charles Schultz, Jesse Ventura, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Garrison Keillor.

I checked out the Cass RR. Looks like a good spot to visit. Funny those engines are called Shay. A shay is also a 2-wheeled carriage. See the poem re: same by Oliver Wendell Holmes.

5. Juloo

Juloo Member

OK, I was born here, but didn't grow up here. No doubt there will be a lot to add...

Our (US) nation's oldest (European) city: St. Augustine.

I'm not sure people think about Florida for it's history -- that's a shame!

P.S. I really think I should have put more! So I'll put the official St. Augustine web site. It's www.oldcity.com

BTW, if you have never seen it, click on the link on that page to Flagler College. It started out as a hotel when it was built -- when Henry Flagler was churning up the East Coast of Florida, bringing tourism into the deep, deep south. It is really one of the coolest places to look at!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2008]
  6. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks Rockgor for your very informative post!,,,alot of famous folks from MN!,,,,,St.Augustine sounds like a fun Read too Juloo!
  7. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

The Arch is our national monument. Below is information on it if you are interested. Great post Sis. Get to learn a lot from this post.

The Arch is the tallest national monument in the United States at 630 feet; it is the city's best known landmark and a popular tourist attraction.

Construction began February 12, 1963 and the last section of the Arch was put into place on October 28, 1965.

The Arch is a structure known as a catenary curve, the shape a free-hanging chain takes when held at both ends, and considered the most structurally-sound arch shape. The span of the Arch legs at ground level is 630 feet, the same as its height.

Each year, approximately a million visitors ride the trams to the top of the Arch. The trams have been in operation for over 30 years, traveling a total of 250,000 miles and carrying over 25 million passengers.

The Arch weighs 17,246 tons. Nine hundred tons of stainless steel was used to build the Arch, more than any other project in history.
    The Arch was built at a cost of $13 million. The transportation system was built at a cost of $3,500,000.

In order to ensure that the constructed legs would meet, the margin of error for failure was 1/64th of an inch. All survey work was done at night to eliminate distortion caused by the sun's rays. Since the Arch was constructed before the advent of computer technology, relatively crude instruments were used for these measurements.

The Arch sways a maximum of 18" (9" each way) in a 150 mph wind. The usual sway is 1/2".

I have been up in it and it is very scary being all the way up at the top and you can really feel it move. It is amazing.

8. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks Mickey,,,,,,i've been checking out this very Famous landmark,,,,Wow!,,,it's Amazing!,,i like the margin of error for faliure ratio!
  9. rockgor

I've thought about going to St. Louis for a long time. Wanted to visit the gateway to the Old West. Shoulda gone when I was healthier. I remember seeing a documentary. The climax was lowering the keystone piece into place.

I thought it would be fun to take the ride inside the arch, but my claustrophobia has gotten worse over the years. I certainly would never go after hearing the train inside the arch once got stuck.

10. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

If you ever want to come to St. Louis, I would love to show you around. Once was definetly enough for me though to go up there. It was very scary.

Take care

11. sisland

sisland New Member

Juloo ~~~ I've been checking out Flagler College and St. Augustine,,,The College is amazing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for as old as it is the architecture has held up well!,,,,,,Also i found Americas oldest Wooden School house in St. Augustine ,,,,Still standing today!,,,,,It was built in 1716,,,,and now has an anchor placed in it by the towns people so it wouldn't blow away in a hurricane,,,,,,,,,Very interesting!,,,,,S
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2008]
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Can you share a Famous Historical thing about ~~Ontario?? ,,,didn't mean to just have this apply to the USA!,,,,,Join In!,,,,,,,Thanks sis
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2008]
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

Ah' Yes Niagra Falls!,,,Horseshoe Falls,,,thanks for the post!,,,had no idea that Ontario was covered by ice sheets!,,so intersting!,,,,I'm off to check out the website!,,,,S
  14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

How about the Doner Party? Sir Francis Drake sailed up the CA coast in the 1500's...Drake's Bay on the Central CA coast...

Redwood Trees, Yosimite and Teddy Roosevelt...

1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire....

I was born here in 19?? (-: (eons ago!)

John Steinbeck and his writings located in CA...

Oh my...many things.

Fun post, Sis...you are so clever.

OH! My husband and I and his brother and wife may visit Glacier Park this coming August...not a for-sure yet, but sure would love to be there. Keep you informed.

15. Juloo

Juloo Member

When I was in grad school (not at Flagler), a professor took us for a field trip to see the restoration of the painted ceiling in what I think was the main dining hall at Flagler. There was scaffolding built up a few floors so that the painters were right up at ceiling level. As we were standing there, admiring the large painted female figures in classical dress that were being cleaned, etc., and I noticed that the figure's feet has six toes each! I'm not sure anyone would have seen them from the floor of the space -- only when you were practically on top of it would you notice! So, a piece of trivia that not many know...

But anyhow, seeing the beautiful overview photo of Flagler College made me think of yet another beautiful college building that started life as a hotel -- Plant Hall of University of Tampa. I did a little poking around, but couldn't find a nice, single photo like the one of Flagler. Maybe someone can? Henry B. Plant was Henry Flagler's west-coast of Florida counterpart for railroads, etc.

16. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your post!,,,,some more very interesting historical facts From CA.!,,,Have always wanted to see the Redwoods and Yosemite!,,,,,Have taken Hwy 101 down the Coast a couple of times,,,,So Gourgeous!,,,,,Teddy Roosevelt is one of the Famous Faces on Mount Rushmore,,,,,,,,,,,,,,along with Washington,,,lincoln,,and Jefferson,,,,,,,

They are Carving another Famous face in the Black Hills of South Dakota,,,,

This one is of The Famous Native American War Chief ,,,Crazy Horse,,,It's about 2/3rds of the way done ,,,,,,So Kool!,,,,,I'm guessing you can Google The Crazy Horse Memorial,,,,,and see the pictures of it!

That is So exciteing that you might be comming to Glacier! Would love to show you and your Family around!,,,,,,,HUgs!,,,Sis
  17. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Oh there's a lot that Colorado is famous for!
    Alford Packard - the first person convicted of cannibalism - ain't that a cool fact!
    Pikes Peak - the highest peak in the US
    Trail Ridge Road - the highest driveable road in the US.
    The home of the "Unsinkable Molly Brown"
    Home (and burial place) of Buffalo Bill and Wild Bill Cody (just blanked on his name - that doesn't sound right??)

Sun shines 300 days a year.
    Home of the Stanley Hotel where the "THE Shining" was based from and the 2nd movie was filmed.

It's really an incredibly beautiful state - so much history. You can be in the city one minute and less than an hour away can be in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, passing old mines along the way, The great Sand Dunes, the absolutely breathtaking scenery - you'll never feel closer to heaven when you're that high and wrapped around that beauty of nature.

I'll have to look up more 'facts'.

18. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your post about CO.!,,,,some very interesting facts going on there!!,,,,,,I Know that Denver is the Mile High City!,,,I'm checking them all out! didn't know about the Stanley Hotel!,,,,Very Kool!,,,,,,S
  19. GreenOnions

GreenOnions New Member

I'm a West Virginia boy born and bred. I reckon Cass is a good answer, but I'm a gonna say we're most famous fer the Hatfields, as in the Hatfields and McCoys.

20. rockgor

Didn't Dorothy Shay recorded the West Virginia state song back in the 40s, Green Onion? It was on the Hit Parade. Feudin' and Fightin'.

I think it was Wild Bill Hickok and Buffalo Bill Cody, Janalynn. Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley were still alive when my father was a kid.

History is just around the corner.