What over the counter sleep meds to take

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Nov 17, 2005.

1. cczub

cczub New Member

As I stated before my doc won't think of giving me a real sleep pill for another 2 weeks. Last night I had my worst night of sleep in 3 weeks with most of the time waking up every 15-20 minutes. I don't need a pill that will help me fall to sleep as I can with no problem and with the Xanax it's a peice of cake. Staying asleep is my problem. I've been on Lexapro 10mg and Xanax 1 mg at bed for 1+ months and my doctor is telling me to give it more "time" to work. I'm hurting really bad today and have one a 1-10 scale of energy its a 2. Pain level today is at a constant 6 and when I have to get up and walk around its an 8. I work a fulltime job and this is really starting to interfere with my life now.

I did go fishing last night which I know agravated the pain level today but I had to give up on a promising future in ice hockey because of 3 knee surgeries and will never play again. I refuse to let this DD take away one of the 2 things I love to do. Fishing and playing poker. I consider myself a very good poker player have won some good money in my weekly cash games but am starting to notice this DD affecting my concentration while playing cards as well.

Very upset today and any advice would be great!

Thanks ALL!
  2. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I have found that actually I like my Tylenol PM better than most Rx sleep meds I've used!! It works well to help me stay asleep and it doesn't leave me all groggy the next morning. Plus it helps a little with the pain too.
  3. cczub

cczub New Member

I've used tylenol pm in the past with good results. Even though I rarley drink, it was causing my liver function to skyrocket so I have to stay away from acetaminaphin....
  4. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

The ingrediant is Diphenhydramine hydrochloride. Tylenol also makes a version called Simply Sleep that doesn't contain any pain reliever. You might give that a try.
  5. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

Here's a link for more info:

tylenol.com/page.jhtml?id=tylenol/pain/subpssing.inc
  6. cczub

cczub New Member

thanks... i'll check it out...
  7. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

in the past when I am out of my PM meds I have taken a couple of benedryl and they have helped as well. Don't know if it would help you or not though.

Good luck!
    Kelly
  8. millennia

millennia New Member

The medicine in benedryl is the same as in Tylenol PM and simply sleep and most over the counter sleep meds. It is just an antihistamine. That is what I take, no reason to take the pain med if you don't need it (or can't take it). Benedryl helps me a lot.
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Benedryl. You can get it cheaply if you buy a generic brand. It helps better than some prescription sleep meds. I have acutally been combining 1/2 Ambien (prescription) and 1 Benedryl and sleeping well. I vary what I take so I don't gain a tolerance to Ambien...sometimes I take two Benedryl or one whole Ambien or....whatever I have which is a bunch.

Benedryl is great, but I have heard that it limits the deep sleep stages needed for real rest, but I haven't found it hurts much. From not sleeping to sleeping for long periods is a much better deal for me. I have felt so much better since I hit on this method.

Best of luck...hope yur doc comes through with something to help you soon.

Sue
  10. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I take calcium/magnesium, calms forte & ZMA; then when I wake up I repeat the cal/mag & calms forte. I take alot of the calms forte as I don't ever have a side effect.

LIGHT************carole
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

and nothing has helped until recently.

I take 1 Melatonin 3mg, 1 ZMA (from this shop) and 1/2 strong painkiller.

The Melatonin is the new one for me and it works, I dont sleep right through but it helps.

love
    Rosie