What pain killers have you tried?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Valentina, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Valentina

Valentina New Member

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate it if you could list the pain killers you've tried.

I've tried quite a few and I'm very drug sensitive and allergic to many of them, so it would be very helpful to know what other people have tried.

I'll start:

VICODIN - I'm allergic to it.

METHADONE - very effective for pain relief, but I can't take it now that I'm on Wellbutrin = allergic reaction to the combination of the two drugs.

CODEINE - I'm allergic to it.

FENTANYL (Duragesic patches) - very effective for pain relief, but I can't get them from my doctor here in Sweden (I could get them when I lived in the US - I'm American).

DARVOCET - made me feel totally drugged and did not help at all with pain relief. I don't think I'm allergic to it, but I don't remember.

MORPHINE - effective for pain relief, but I've had allergic reactions to it from time to time.

DILAUDID - I was given this intravenously after a major surgery when I was in the hospital and I was horribly allergic to it.

I know there are others I've tried, but I can't remember what they are right now.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hi Valentina .. I was switched to a long acting (12hours) "oxy-contin" type wihtout tylenol type, med added (it is better for you to control the intake of that .. the less you can get by on the better for your liver) .. in any case I am doing a lot better with this one
    MS Contin .. I have extra break through pain meds .. and I do switch from ibprofen ? and tylenol types when I need them.
    It has taken me almost 4 years to get on track with this .. but everyone is different ..
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  3. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I'm an American in Sweden and it is so hard to get the Swedish doctors to prescribe the heavy pain killers! I'll see if my doctor will give me what you suggested. Thanks for responding. :)
  4. Zombie69

Zombie69 New Member

Hi there, here's what all I've been on that I can remember

Hydrocodone - developed an addiction to opiates so had to stop taking them. Very effective for a while for pain

Oxycontin - see hydrocodone but a bit more effective and a little longer lasting than vicodan.

Ultram - Did no good for pain. Caused stomach problems

Neurotin - might as well have been a vitamin, did nothing for pain.

Darvocet - made my stomach hurt, did not help pain.

Methadone - so far, the most effective pain killer I've been on. Helped me through my opiate addiction too.

So many AntiInflammatories - I can't even remember their names.

Various other medications = it would take all day to list them, hehehe, don't remember their names.

Motrin - Best over the counter painkiller I've found, doesn't help much for my FM but does good for toothaches and minor aches.

Potassium - excellent vitamin, keeps my legs from locking up at night or cramping at night.

Magnesium - another great vitamin. Helps pain a little bit gradually after time of taking it. A must have for any FM sufferer to take every day.

Multi-Vitamins - They can't hurt.

Rest - The most important medicine there is. It's hard to get sometimes but helps so much :)
  5. Valentina

Valentina New Member

I had forgotten about the Neurontin - I also took that and it made me really dizzy and did nothing for the pain.

I'm sorry to hear about you getting addicted to opiates - that must have been horrible! I know it's one of the dangers of taking these pain killers.

It's so frustrating that the medication we need to take in order to combat the extreme pain we're in is so often addictive. I'm glad the Methadone is helping with the pain and the opiate addiction.

I take several very good multi vitamins every day and quite a lot of Magnesium Malate.

I also take hot baths with Epsom salt and that helps a little bit. I can't do that very often because Epsom Salt is REALLY expensive here and difficult to find (I have no idea why).

It's really helpful to see what people are taking/have taken and how the pain killers have worked (or not worked) for them.

[This Message was Edited on 12/27/2005]
  6. Valentina

Valentina New Member

7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Valentina .. I forgot to mention this one ( I just focused on labled pain relievers ... amitryptyline (spelling is probably off .. first thing int he morning here in Ontario!) .. that was the first thing my GP put me on when they even just suspected fibro .. and it does help with pain issues and nerve impulses .. even a nervous bladder !
    If I were you I would give it a try .. I started out on 50 mg .. I'm now on 100 .. it really helps some people with sleep issues also .. it is one of the original drugs used for fibro even thought it is labled an antidepressent ..
    So if you can ... try it out !
    Best of LUCK !
    Fudge : )
  8. earn

earn New Member

I have never been able to take anything with success, except Hydrocodone Sustain release--compounded. It is suppose to be the smme as Loritab--but it works so differently than Loritab.-Loritab has tylanol in it--but this compounded is only Hydrocodone.

I hve just started Lyrica--it reallt atopped the pain, but slept so sound-scared my family--I am afraid of it now.

Please excuse this typing---I fell and broke my shoulder----now that on top of the other pains

Thanks Laverne