What problems are treated with Nuerontin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WorldFalls, Jul 26, 2003.

1. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

My doctor started me on Neurontin yesterday. He suggested I start slow (300mg daily and add some each day til I get to 900mg daily) but I had no side effects and the stuff made me feel darned good! So I'm taking the full dose with no side effects at all. I don't feel sleepy, although I did have an extraordinarily good nights sleep! Amazing how much better you can sleep when your body hurts less. I woke up with less pain too! I feel relaxed and there is less pain. I did some yard work today and pain didn't stop me!!!!

My question is this...does Neurontin help symptoms of ADHD and depression? I feel calm, relaxed, focussed, and it seems that noises and distractions aren't bothering me as much as usual. When I went to bed last night, my mind wasn't racing like it usually is. I feel more mellow and my mood is better. It may have to do with the relief of pain, though. Pain can make a person anxious, depressed, and easily distracted! I'm just curious if other people have felt better mentally for taking the stuff.

Also, my carpal tunnel syndrome is better...I'd even say that it's GONE! Is it normal to get relief of Carpal Tunnel?

I'm curious as to what ailments people are taking this drug for. There is a lot of info on the Web. But it all says the same thing...that Neurontin is used for seizures (which I don't have) and nerve pain (which I do have) and that there are other conditions the doctor may prescribe it for. What are those other conditions? I can't find any info on that!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2003]
  2. KayL

KayL New Member

what the other uses are, but I know there are quite a few here who take it.

When I was on it, it was for nerve pain for ruptured disks, but it didn't help me, the pain was just the same even though my doc kept increasing the dosage.

Karen
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Both Neurontin and Klonopin help stop the misfiring of the neurons in our brains and most likely interfere with pain signals in the brain too.

These drugs help us sleep, stop anxiety/panic attacks, help RLS and other muscle spasms, and reduce sensory overload. If you want more info, go to our library and do a search on Klonopin by Dr. Paul Cheney. It does an excellent job of explaining all this.

Dr. Cheney believes that stopping the constant slight state of seizure protects our brains from long-term damage.

Love, Mikie
  4. abme75

abme75 New Member

Neurontin is an anti-convulsant med used to treat epilepsy (primarily). It's also used as a mood stabilizer, pain management, migraines, TMJ and RLS.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/26/2003]
  5. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Mikie, that's exactly what's happening to me...the sensory overload is reduced, and it feels so darned good. Maybe I never even had ADHD at all...maybe my problem was related to this constant state of seizure thing you mentioned. I will read the material that you suggested. I definately want to learn more about it! Thank you both for replying.
  6. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

abme75, do you know what kinds of pain it treats? I was under the impression that it was for nerve pain, but I'm positive that I am getting muscle pain relief as well. It seems a bit like a miracle drug to me.
  7. abme75

abme75 New Member

All pain is perceived or felt through the nerves, so it's primarily nerve pain, but it can also be used to treat muscle pain. Because it's an anti-convulsant, it works in stopping mis-firings in the brain that may cause involuntary muscle contraction. As far as I know, research on gabapentin is on-going, where they're finding the drug can be safely used to treat other conditions. I don't believe it's used to treat minor aches and pains like minor headaches, etc. I'm not sure if this is because the drug can be so hard on the body or not. There is steady research on pre-gaba, a more potent variant of gabapentin. Do a search for gabapentin, neurontin or pre-gaba and you'll find a host of info on either of them. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2003]
  8. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

That makes good sense. I couldn't understand how a medication for nerve pain could give me so much releif of the muscle pain. But I understand now...the medication stops the nerves from excess firing which causes the muscles to contract less. Wow! Well, I'm very happy with the stuff right now. I've been doing things I don't normally do and I'm pleased as can be with the results.

I haven't experienced any side effects. I'm taking 900mg a day. You mentioned that it can be hard on the body. Is this something that can be taken forever? I don't want to ever stop. It's FAR better than vicodin. Can I expect more side effects to develop over time?

Thanks to everyone who as responded. I appreciate the time you take to share your knowledge with me!
  9. It is supposed to help with pain, and you ARE supposed to start slowly and increase as the dr suggested. Because it is a seizure medicine. But since you took the full dosage maybe stick with it now? They found by accident it helps with the pain of fibro. The only bad effect I have heard it causes weight gain, a friend of mine took it and she gained 40 lbs.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Taking antiseizure (also called anticonvulsant) medication helps calm the brain so that it can go into the slight state of coma required for quality sleep. It is during sleep that our muscles are repaired and that the body produces human growth hormone. Thus, getting quality sleep will also address muscle pain.

I believe using these drugs to control this slight state of seizure is one of the best things we can do. Cheney believes is protects the brain from long-term damage.

I am finding that I am now able to reduce my bedtime dose slightly and still get a good 7-8 hours of sleep. To me, this is evidence that I am getting better. Cheney says that he has never seen anyone who has gotten better have problems weaning off the Klonopin. Trying to wean off it too soon will cause the brain to rebel against removing the medication which, according to Cheney, is mistaken for withdrawal symptoms.

There is physical dependence from taking these meds which is not the same thing as addiction. Physical dependence means that one cannot just stop taking them cold turkey. Be sure to let someone close to you know that you are on this drug. Carry a list of the meds you take so that if you are ever in an emergency, it will help the docs to treat you.

Love, Mikie
  11. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

You know a lot about this...may I bother you with one more question? You mentioned that Neurontin type drugs can help prevent brain damage. My question is, can it help fix past damage? I ask because I was hurt in a car crash. I have post concusion syndrome. Although I've improved a lot in the six years since the crash, I'm not yet at 100% and I'd love to think this medicine may help me get completely better.

Thanks for all your help! You've been great!
  12. Smokeymar

Smokeymar New Member

Hi,
    My doctor gave me Neurotin for nerve pain. Since I have problems staying awake with all the medications, I now take 2 at dinnertime and 2 at bedtime. Used to take it 3 times a day. It does help with the nerve pain. But, it hasn't made me any smarter or improved my mind any. LOL
    Smokeymar
  13. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

I am very interested in trying Neurontin. Is is comsidered a narcotic? I am currently taking small daily doses of Methadone with 10 mg. Lortab and Ultram for breakthrough. So, At this point I have a very high level of pain and I also have a higher tolerance for opiods. But the combo of my pain meds is helping quite a bit. Will Neurontin be able match up to what I'm taking? Are doctors generally squeemish about prescribing it like other opiods? I had requested from my doc once, that I wanted to try Klonipin. He flat out refused!! I am not sure why. Any info would be great!

Kathryn
  14. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I've been so tempted, yet I'm also scared to start to take something new. It sounds as though it would be so good for me. I'm still scared though. Were any of you prior to starting it? It has sooooo many side effects. I know all meds do, but it scares me. dolsgirl
  15. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

dolsgirl, I was scared to start Neurontin as well. I had convinced myself that I wouldn't be able to tolorate the drug at all. I had read on this board that people either love it or hate it. I just knew I'd be one that hated it! But after three days, I have no side effects at all. I feel better than I have in years. I have dropped my vicodin to about a third what I was taking before and I feel less pain than I did when I was on vicodin.

This is how I look at it...if it causes too many side effects, just stop taking it (with the doctors approval, of course). My doctor gave me doxepin for sleep several months ago. It made me a frickin' zombie so I stopped. No big deal. The grogginess wore off after a couple of days and I knew I'd never use it again. It was just one of many drugs that I've experiemnted with. It didn't work, so I gave up on it with no long term consequences.

I think we are all very different in how our bodies react to a drug. I've tried so many things for allergies and pain and only some worked. Take singulair, for example. For many people it doesn't work...for me, it was a miracle allergy drug. It helped my asthma AND my sinus problems. Neurontin has been the same kind of miracle drug for me. It's helped a lot of different pain. It may not be the right drug for you, but I kind of feel that with these kinds of diseases, you have to experiement until you find the right one.

If you do try it, you have this board to come to for support! The best of luck to you. If you try it, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.