What qualifies as a "high titer count" for EBV and HHV6? Help understnading my lab results please!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by lady-day, Jan 19, 2014.

1. lady-day

lady-day Member

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm trying to fully understand my latest lab work.

I went to see a doctor specializing in CFS, we did some bloodwork and she said I do have CFS based on my EBV and HHV6 readings.

Here are my EBV results:
    EBNA Ab/IgG: (Positive) Result: >8.0 Reference: <0.9
    EBV Capsid Ag.Ab/IgG: (Positive) Result: 3.4 Reference: <0.9
    EBV Early Ag.Ab: (Negative) Result: <0.2 Reference: <0.9
    EBV Capsid Ag.Ab/IgM: (Negative) Result: .05 Reference: <0.9

My understanding is that once you have been exposed to EBV both EBNA Ab/IgG and EBV Capsid Ag.Ab/IgG stay present for the rest of your life. I had a bad case of Mono as a kid, so the fact that they are present is not surprising. But what I have read online is that if these levels are significantly elevated that can suggest reactivation (even if the EBV Early and EBV IgM are negative). But I am having a hard time figuring out what constitutes a "high titer count" particularly because most of the readings I see are formated as 1:640. How do I translate a decimal reading into a 1:______ ?

Here are my HHV6 results:
    Herpesvirus-6, IgG AB (3): (Positive) Result: 1:80 Reference: < 1:80

I am confused about this reading because while it indicates infection 1:80 IS NOT an elevated titer. It is in fact the cut off. I read else where that IgG > 1:230 was considered an elevated titer.

The Dr. prescribed me Famvir, but if the EBV is the more significantly elevated reding (which I'm not sure if it is..) than I wonder if maybe Valtrex would be a better antiviral. Does anyone have experience with either?

Any feed back would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    Day
  2. lady-day

lady-day Member

Hi Jamin,

Thanks for the note.

Yes, I've read that 95% of adult Americans have ebv. You can develop flu like symptoms when first exposed or no symptoms. Once you've got, the virus stays with you for life, lying dormant. My question is specifically about what lab work would suggest a "reactivation" of ebv?

How has the Olive Leaf Extract worked out for you? I am definitely open to non-pharmaceutical stratiges and would be curious to hear more about your experience with Olive Leaf Extract.

Day