What really happens at night with FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kjade, Feb 28, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

Mornings are the absolute worst time of the day for me. It is so very difficult to drag myself into the shower every morning. I stand in the shower just stretching and trying to massage my muscles for what seems like hours. When I go downstairs to get my coffee every morning, I can barely make it back up the stairs because my legs are so sore and stiff. As the day goes on, I do start to feel a little better.

I am wondering what exactly happens to FM sufferers while we sleep? I have tried to keep track of activities I have done the night before, things I may have eaten, or my sleep patterns....there is nothing that seems to change how I feel when I get up in the am. It doesn't matter if I sleep 5 hours or 10....I still wake up in extreme pain. It doesn't help to take sleep meds or pain meds before I go to bed - I still wake up this way.

It doesn't matter what position I sleep in, whether or not I have nightmares, whether I fall asleep quickly or have a racing mind for what seems like hours....
    It doesn't seem to be the quality of my sleep that causes this morning pain. So what does cause the extreme pain and stiffness? Is it the fact that the muscles are not moving for so many hours? I thought sleep was supposed to "renew" and "restore" the body. Not make me feel like I ran a marathon all night in my sleep.

Long before FM struck, mornings were the best time for me. I used to love waking up refreshed and full of energy. I want those days back....do they ever come back? Or is there a way to get those days back?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

are after I've had a painful evening too. Those evenings where I feel like every muscle in my body is ratcheted down as tight as it can go -- I find that no matter how long or well I sleep afterwards (with or without meds) I wake up very stiff and painful.

I think for me it may actually BE the lactic acid it feels like, because I do think the overstressed muscles the day before are just the same as someone else's excessive workout, and it does get better as I get up and move around, just as lactic acid from muscle-overuse would.

Best wishes,
  3. wendyo

wendyo New Member

what msm drink do you take Jam?
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i don't get it either!! i too feel somewhat better in the evening time, and when i crawl in the bed at night, no matter how early or late, or how i slept ( good ) or not at all. i still feel like im going to die! literally sometimes it's that bad.i hate Mornings, and the longer i stay in the bed the worse it is, especially the pain. like today i woke up around 10, i think i crawled into bed about 11;30 the night before. and i slept ok, but good God when i woke up, i was miserable!! it took a few hours for the pain to subside a little bit, then finally drug myself in the shower. now at 7:30p.m. im kinda feeling human,but when the morning comes, it will be hell again!! i sure wish i knew how to get those Glorious morning feelings back too!!! if anybody have some ideas i'd like to hear them.