What research is going on?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by polliwog, Nov 21, 2002.

1. polliwog

polliwog New Member

I am just wondering what research is going on for us? We all have a cornicopia of symptoms, and there are guidelines for meds., etc, but I want to know if there is any hard research going on about this disease. I am wondering what could be found with DNA mapping of our genes. There is bound to be a corelation there to be found that we all have in common. And if it is genetic damage causing our symptoms from a virus or other factor, couldn't they find that too? I am praying for a cure!!!!! as I know everyone else is. With so many millions of people suffering from this, it seems to me that it would be worth studying. I know that most of the research monies go to the major diseases that people suffer from, but where is our piece of the pie? Anyone have any info about research groups? I would gladly be one of their subjects that would donate my blood etc. I'd even pay the postage to send it to them! :)Polli
  2. polliwog

polliwog New Member

I am just wondering what research is going on for us? We all have a cornicopia of symptoms, and there are guidelines for meds., etc, but I want to know if there is any hard research going on about this disease. I am wondering what could be found with DNA mapping of our genes. There is bound to be a corelation there to be found that we all have in common. And if it is genetic damage causing our symptoms from a virus or other factor, couldn't they find that too? I am praying for a cure!!!!! as I know everyone else is. With so many millions of people suffering from this, it seems to me that it would be worth studying. I know that most of the research monies go to the major diseases that people suffer from, but where is our piece of the pie? Anyone have any info about research groups? I would gladly be one of their subjects that would donate my blood etc. I'd even pay the postage to send it to them! :)Polli
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

There are ongoing studies and hard research going on--run web based searches. You might also look into the CFIDS Association of America. Many think cf and fms are two peas in pod, so to speak. Genetics may certainly play a role in these disorders. If you are interested in clinical studies, yes they are available as well. Just type in clinical studies, in a popular search engine. Many of the clinical study clearinghouses, have additional searches for disease and location of study, on their sites.
    Becoming a donor to those who support research, and reaching out to others to donate to research, is certainly a beneficial proactive step we can take in the fight against these disorders.

Nostad, saying that "I take guaifenesen for the FMS. It attacks the actual cause of the FMS"...is not quite a realistic statement in my mind. I don't believe the actual "cause" of FMS has been determined. Perhaps it has helped you with some of your FMS particulars, as it has others on this board. But many others have not found the same, results. We all have alot of mitigating factors, which need to be dealt with on an individual basis.
    Glad you have found something to improve your health.
    Best wishes,
    Karen
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am also on the Guai treatment and it is my salvation. That said, however, I do not believe we can say that the inability to excrete the phosphate debris is "THE CAUSE" of FMS. Why can't we excrete this debris? There has to be an underlying cause. Notice that Dr. St. A doesn't promise a cure but rather a reversal of symptoms. If he could promis a cure, then the debris problem would be the cause.

Right now, no one knows for sure what causes our illnesses, but there is promising research going on all the time. Our sponsor recently donated a large percent of the profits from this website to investigate the role of infectious agents in our illnesses. It appears that stealth viruses and bacteria play a very significant role.

Research, so far, points to the probability of a genetic predisposition to these illnesses.

As good as the Guai treatment is, it's just not a cure.

Love, Mikie