What Scentfree Products Are The Best????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jordane, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Hi All,

I have just about had it,ohhhhhhhhh

Scent free products, most are soo expensive!!!

Do any of you have some names of products that you use & find really scent free.
    ( and not expensive)

The search is neverending.

Would really really appreciate any names.

Hope your having a *good* day!!!:>)
    Jordane

2. teacher

teacher New Member

All Free

Comes in liquid and powder. They also make dryer sheets if you use them.
  3. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

I just wanted to say that I know where you're coming from. I've alwayshada really hard time with scentsand even things that are supposed to be unscented, but still have something that makes me sick.
    I encountered a near miracle recently when I found that Melaleuca (who prides themselves on products free of harsh chemicals) makes all sorts of SCENTED products that I can actually ENJOY, not just tolerate!I don't know exactly how it work...I was worried when I first smelled them because they smell exactly like other products that really bother me....but I took an other sniff...and an other. I've now been using them for 2-1/2 months with no sign of sensitivity at all!
    Before that it was always trial and error at the store. I HATED shopping. I found some solice in Aveeno products when I could find the unscented bottle on the shelf. I used Tide-free. I bought those natural salt crystal deoderants (actually I bought one...they last forever!). If you can get your hands on some Kleen Glo that's a fantastic cleaning product (good for crayons on the wall.

You may be interested though in checking Melaleuca out...they don't have unscented options for everything, but you may find that the scented options are ok. (Money back guarantee on all products)www.saferforyourhome.com has more information about the cleaning products. They do have unscented laundry detergent and a lot of other products that just smell naturally of the tea-tree oil in them.
    Ok, sorry about the novel....I guess I have some opinions on that topic....it's always been really hard on me and I'm so releived to actually beable to enjoy some smells again (My body wash is like washing in some kind of exotic desert!)
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I am extremely sensitive to fragrances and I use:

All Free & Clear laundry detergent

Seventh Generation Free & Clear dishwashing liquid and dishwasher detergent

Bon Ami for scrubbing pots and pans

Kiss My Face unscented aloe and olive oil lotion

Clear and Natural Soap bars and liquid soap

Tom's of Maine unscented deoderant stick

AFM Safe Choice unscented shampoo

I steam clean carpets with hydrogen peroxide and Basic H solution

I make my own disinfectant by putting 3% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle with a squirt of the dishwashing soap.

I make hair conditioner by soaking flax seeds in hot water and straining the gooey water - it works kind of like hair setting gel

I clean leather with natural vegetable glycerin and/or olive oil

Jan

[This Message was Edited on 02/21/2007]
  5. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I use vinegar to clean with. I've use olive oil for moisturizer and have to search for products I can tolerate. I have pretty good luck with Purex unscented detergent plus Biz, but double rinse all clothes. I tried "natural" detergents, but they left my clothes dingy and I had to rinse 3 times.

I get my hair cut so I don't need hairspray.

I'm allergic to petroleum products in any form. Recently I asked a pharmacist about unscented, petroleum free lotion. And, I'm happy to say it seems to be okay..it's Cetaphil. It works great on my skin, but tends to make my fingernails (what are left of them) brittle.

I'm still searching for a good non-petroleum based face cream. I'm not having any luck in that department.

6. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

Could you tell me what to watch out for on the label as far as names of petroleum based ingredients in face cream go? I might be able to help you.
  7. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Windytalker, my throat will swell shut if I use cosmetics or lotions with petroleum bases or with lanolin. I do tolerate a little propylene glycol which is in Tom's of Maine deoderant and they say it is a derivative of natural gas.

However anything that says mineral oil, vaseline, white oil, petroleum, etc will get me. The worst was lipstick. But I have also reacted to products like baby wipes that contain petroleum...you just don't think to look at ingredients for things like that.

The Kiss My Face lotion that I mentioned doesn't have any petroleum products and they have just reformulated all their lotions to remove parabens also (which can be allergenic).

Jan
  8. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I am going to look into this myself. For the most part I am ok with scented stuff. I am very particular though as there are many that give me headaches etc. I keep to lighter scented stuff.

However, my mom just sent me an article talking about all of the chemicals etc that are in health and beauty products and it was crazy. They really can cause people to become ill.

So now I am thinking I may start getting more stuff that is either natural or at least made with less harsh chemicals.

Take Care,
    Pam
  9. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

I get headaches too. That's how my scent problems/intolerances seem to manifest. My Mom actually has an athsma-like breathing reaction.
    Both of us are now using Melaleuca products. She's found the only things she's allergic to is the hand-sanitizer (which doesn't really bother me)
    Their whole line of products was designed to get the harsh additives out of our homes (no bleach, formaldehyde, ammonia, that kind of stuff).
    Check out www.saferforyourhome.com it's very informative.
  10. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Just concerned that your posts about Melaleuca products may get you in trouble, even though you're not personally taking orders or soliciting business. Please read the messageboard rules and check with the moderators...advertising can trigger a $5000 fine.

Jan
  11. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

I get it, and that's not why I'm here. It's just a big thing going on in my life right now and has a major impact on my health with direct regard to my CFS. All I'm doing here is sharing that information. That's a lot of the reason it was so easy for me to relate to the business. I'm already the kind of person who will come across a great product and tell everyone about it. I don't expect anyone here to sign up with Melaleuca through me. Therefore I can't profit from mentioning it here in any way. I just honestly want to help.
    Kind of like how a parent never stops talking about their kids, you know? It's such a part of my life and my attempts to imrove my health right now.
    Thanks for the warning though.
  12. Jordane

Jordane New Member

The names of products give me somewhere to start I will check them out.

I am just trying the Sunlight Sensitive Skin.Perfume free and no dyes.

Also trying the PC Ultra Fabric Softener/Free.Fragrance &Dye-free.

Getting a good shampoo and conditioner is my biggest problem.My hair is really dry and coarse,because its totally white with some grey.
    To find some that helps with that and is scent free is really hard.

Any names of products that will help with that and be scent free would be really appreciated. THANKYOU!!!!

Take Care All!!
    Hugs, Jordane

13. Jordane

Jordane New Member

Thanks Renea,

I will check into those.

Take Care,
    Jordane
    [This Message was Edited on 02/26/2007]
  14. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I use alot of the same products you use...but what was the AMF (?) shampoo that you use??

I use Aubry Organic shampoo and condition...I don't love them..and they are really expensive..so I am always trying to find somthing different.

There is alot of good info here..

SherylD
  15. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have MCS also and have to be really careful with products. I had a coupon and decided to try some dryer sheets (those new ones ... simple sensations?) and about passed out! I didn't realize they were ridiculously over scented. I don't know what they put in them! They had to go ... another waste of money. I cannot stand to go down the laundry detergent aisle at the store. I try to stock up ... lol.

I got my hair cut realllly short and I don't have to use cream rinse anymore ... or much in the way of styling products.

I truly feel manufacturers are taking advantage of our health situation to make $$$$$$$$.
  16. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

Be sure to look for unscented and not scent free. Scent free can still contain fragrance that helps it be "scent" free.

I use:

Cetaphil to cleanse face
    Lubriderm as body moisturizer (Cetaphil moisturizer leaves a taste in my mouth)
    Cetaphil face moisturizer
    Bounce Free Dryer sheets
    Cheer Free Laundry soap
    Wizard Air Freshener
    Almay Face Powder

All of these items are available at WalMart and are available unscented.

Have fun shopping!
  17. swehling

swehling New Member

I've always hated scented lotion -but am a whole body lotion person- vasaline advanced healing scent free- cheaper tham most lotion- and no greasy feeling- also use their lip stuff. Almay used to be pretty good for make-up. I use cover girl true blen 'cause it's cheaper. I know some peolpe relly like the crystal under arm deoderant- I'm too smelly for that, what w/ night sweats and all.
    good luck,
    Susan