What Should I Do? Neuro Appt Didn't Go Well

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Apr 19, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

Neuro Appt didn't go well. This was my second appt. The doctor seemed upset with me.

1st he wanted to know if I had been taking my Topomax, I said yes and one pill in the evening. He said I was suppose to take one in the evening and one in the morning.
    All I remember was having some problems with drowsiness and I thought he said I could take it in the evening.

2nd he asked if I was taking Relpax for breakthrough migraines and I said yes, he asked if I was also taking ibupropen or maybe he said tylenol (I don't remember which) and I said no I didn't remember he saying to do that.

3rd he said I see you cancel your Sleep Deprived EEG, I said yes I couldn't stay awake(the instructions said only 3 hours of sleep). The test was at 9:00 in the morning. It was to test for seizures which I don't really think I am having. My symptoms sound like everyone else on the board which is fibro fog.

Anyway...I layed awake in bed last night trying to figure out how I got my medication Topomax mixed up. I think I was taking one pill in the morning and one at night for awhile because there was a time that I kept thinking I was forgetting a pill in the mornings. It was then that I bought this huge pill container.

So my question is what do I do...my neuro(who I have seen twice) is mad at me, he knows me and knows I'm a nurse and is thinking I am just not doing what I am told to do...he doesn't realize I got confused. He doesn't want to see me back until October. I have filed for disablity. He is a difficulty doctor to say the least and I am a little mad because he did not assess me properly and realize there was a problem there. He is from Russia and gets mad easy...not that where he is from has anything to do with anything but sometimes I have a little trouble understand him and have to ask him to repeat.

Should I switch doctors or call his receptionist and ask for another appt to explain things and maybe take my husband along.

Geesh..what a mess.

Thanks for your help

Froggy always in a Fog
    [This Message was Edited on 04/19/2007]
  2. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

drs. I think I would see if you can find another dr. Do you have to see a neurologist? Do you have a Rheumy?

What about your PCP? You will need everyone you have seen to fill out the disability papers. When I saw the SSD dr, he said to make sure Every one of the drs I had seen filled out the papers and if they didnt, Call them and say"Do you want to be the reason I didnt get my disability"

Best of luck to you!! I understand what you are going through. When I saw the neurologist for nerve testing, he was not nice and kept talking about my weight and I even heard him tell someone in the hall outside the exam room that I was grossly over weight.

I took my husband to my last rheumy appt and it did no good at all. He had called me a drug addict in other words the visit before because my husband had told me to ask why I was on 5 different pain meds when there might be one that would work like 5. The moment I ask, his whole demeaner changed to me and I dont even want to go back.

Suzette
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I hope the people on this board don't mind me snooping, since I don't have FM. But with the talk of neuro's and all, I am intersted is what is going on. My sister has epilepsy and can't drive so I take her to all her appts. I go back with her in the exam room and listen to everything the doctor tells her, and I also ask the doctor questions that my sister has said she wanted to ask, but forgets a lot of the time. I know I have heard things that my sister didn't hear. Or she didn't understand exactly what was said. Candy takes a lot of notes when at the doctor's also. This way she and I can go back and see what she wrote down and sort of say 'who is right?' Not in a finger pointing tone, but to make sure she is getting the best care.

I guess I am saying that you should take your husband or someone with you. It's just a 2nd set of ears to listen what is being said. If you can't take someone, maybe take notes.

I wish you the best in what you are dealing with.

budmickl
  4. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I just read your profile and see you havea shis tsu. Aren't they the best friend in the world? I have 2 males right now. I had Bud that I had to put down at age 12 because of cancer. I have Mick who is now 13 yrs, going blind and deaf but the love of my life! And I adopted Sam in Sept, who is now 2 yrs old. I can't imagine not having their sweet loving face in life. They are a gift from heaven!

budmickl