What should I look for in finding a church?

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Finished, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Finished

Finished New Member

Hello to all! I am new to posting on this board. Just have one quick question: What should I look for in finding a church to go to?

I did go to a baptist church a long time ago, but found that with family going there I could not go there anymore.
    (long story don't want to go into that right now)

So let me know what you think. Thank you in advance to all who read and reply to my post.

Fin
  2. Takesha

Takesha New Member

First let me tell you that I am glad you have found this board. We have a lot of fun here and we really do care about you and what is going on in your life. Please don't hesitate to post a prayer request, or pray for others who request it, if you would like to.

I think everyone has differnt needs when looking for a Church. There are two things that I find that I need. A Pastor who preaches the word of God in such a way that it relates to my life and a Chruch that is loving, accepting and forgiving. I always advice people to look in their phone book and call any church that they might be interested in attending. I always speak to the Pastor or assistanc Pastor and find out their doctrine and what kind of outreach programs they have, and how big the church is.
    I prefer a smaller group, but growth is sometimes a good sign that people are growing and reaching out. So it depends on what your comfortable with. I too went to the Baptist Church as a child, but over the years I have "tried" several differnt Churches. I don't know if there is a Calvary Chapel in Canada, but I find them to be a good group of people and the Word is being preached there.
    Mainly, I would suggest that you just pray and ask God to lead you to where you need to be, and where you are needed.

Thank you again for posting. And WELCOME!

Takesha
  3. bakron

bakron New Member

The primary method for helping to determine whatever change is made in your life is through prayer. Use this time to build yourself through prayer and reading scripture. Let the Lord work in your life and allow Him to lead to to the right place. You will find that when He leads, it is an exciting and wonderful experience however long it takes!

The hardest thing I've ever done is separate from a Church where my family attended. I was also Baptist by tradition. I don't know your situation, but I know the heart ache of separating from a Church home. And, I know the heart ache of not having a Church home after being very active in one. What I've found on my journey to find a Church home is that, I've never had luck when I "rushed" it, when I looked for something because I thought that it would fit my need, etc., etc. <b>I am convinced that a Church family is: "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Mat 18:20</b>

I've had more complete worship sessions, more meaningful prayer sessions, and more edification from sessions where only a few of us have gathered in the name of Christ."
    May the Lord be with you and guide you in the path that He has for you.

L, Jeannette
  4. sheried

sheried New Member

Welcome to the board.

I think Takesha and Jeanette pretty much answered your question. I agree with everything they said. You have to find a place that speaks to you and makes you feel welcome. Add to that a place where you feel they have the same doctine as you do. I, too, am Baptist. In your position I think I would check out a few other Baptist churches in your area if that is your faith. However, it never hurts to see what else is out there.

Good luck, I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs, Sherie
  5. Finished

Finished New Member

Well, thank you for replying to my question. The church I did go to was Baptist and I went there for two reasons:
    1. Because the pastor was an awesome person as a pastor but he hated me I could feel it and sense it when I talked to him. Because when he spoke the word of God I could feel the Lord's presence! Then unfortunately he move to another city.
    So I stopped going there because the new pastor was not right for me.

2. My "family"(in-laws) were going there and since then we have grown apart because I am not 100% cristian. I am having a hard time wrapping myself in the word of God. I do believe but not enough to change my life for God and to live in the word like my "family" does. They eat, sleep and breathe in the word of God. I am not ready to do that yet because I do not want to set myself up for failure. They changed their lives to revolve around the church and do everything for God. Everything the "family" does they figure I should be doing the same and because I am not they are not supportive to me.

I do not wish to go to a church where they go because I find the are very much like hypocrites. They appear to be children of God and the word of God teaches to love one another. But when I was in need of a friend they (mother in law and sister in law and brother in law) all turned their backs on me and would not discuss my problem. They have not called me in over 2 years. They live in the same city as me and they cannot be bothered to call or come to see how I am doing. NOW I do not consider them any more christian than I am. I do not believe they are living in the word of God the way they think they are. They do not see anything wrong with their behavior. So I have just stopped seeing them and calling them. My sister-in-law's mother was sick and in the hospital for 2 months and she would not even go see her. Those two have not spoken in 3 years!! I do not think that is very christian like. Do you think??

Why should it be me that contacts them all the time?? I am worn out and tired from the stress of dealing with them. It is time for me to take care of my own health and do the things that I like to do. If they choose not to be a part of my life them so be it!!!!

Anyhow, I appologize for the length of this post for venting and for the typo's.

I am not going much futher into this story because it is a very long and very very hurtful. I am feeling very angry right now so I must take a break.

Do you think I am in the wrong for going about things the way I have?

Take care,
    Fin
  6. shadow130

shadow130 New Member

Fin: Visit every church you can. If you like the pastor,
    the people are open and friendly, and it is a BIBLE BASED
    church, try it for a month or so before you commit to it.

Don't feel guilty about your anger. Jesus was angry when
    he threw the money changers out of the temple.

Gordon
  7. NewEnglander

NewEnglander New Member

make sure the church is spirit filled and true to the word of God.
    We cannot be ruled by our feelings unless it is aligned with God's word

good luck
    Lisa
  8. baybe

baybe New Member

I don't belong to an organized Church, although I am always looking. First thing I know is that God does not have a Quid Pro Quo. He loves his children and sent his Son to experience Humanity with us.

For me there are only a few things required: To treat others as you would have them treat you. and treat eveyone as if they were the Master Jesus Christ, I believe washing peoples feet and caring for anyone that enters your home as Christ would is a good basis. I don't wash everyones feet, but I have found over the years that when people that are suffering with things like fibro or whatever, to take time to nurture them and just chat about life and the Lord is a great gift to both of us.

I have to join a Church sometime in the near future, because I miss approaching God in Community, it is such a powerful gift, God has given us.

I like you have a hard time with people in church that are not what they seem, but that's their journey. I will not be joining a Church that encourages that, especially Churches that speak of Money all the time.

Fin, you give me incentive to look again and to remember what I am looking for in my life. I thank you and all that responded.