What should I take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debbiepeace, Dec 9, 2009.

1. debbiepeace

debbiepeace New Member

Please let me know what herb/vitamins/energy/anything that has worked for you? I have had fibro for about 6 years and am on some prescription drugs but would like to supplement them with vitamins/herbs to help with the pain and energy level. Any suggestions?
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

From the research I have read you don't need anything more than a daily multivitamin unless you have a deficiency such as iron, B12, etc.

There are some supplements that are recommended with certain medications. When I was on a prescription NSAID my doctor as well as the pamphlet said to take Folic Acid.

So in that case is an evidence based medication.

The problem with supplements is that they are not regulated, and there is no quality control for side effects, the amount of supplement actually in the pill. It is only after the fact when side effects are reported such as ephedra that action is taken by the FDA. Some have fillers that may contain harmful substances. If science based medicine shows it works it is no longer considered an alternative therapy. I guess some of the bigger brand names have better consistently. Beware of buying the supplements over the net unless it is a credible site like PH.

While this information may not be important for you to make a decision, I think it is important that consumers make informed decisions with as much information as possible.

Now there are certainly lots of supplements that have not been tested so we don't know either way if they are effective. But sometimes people will rely on them and delay getting proper medical treatment. There is a database on Kaiser that has information on treatment effect, possible side effects and interactions. I will come back and put in the website.

As someone said, probably the only effect you will get is expensive urine, LOL!!

You might want to ask your doctor about Provigil or ADD medications which can help you feel a bit more energetic. I do not get nervous or hyper on it like I do on Caffeine. It makes me feel more "normal" and has improved the quality of my life.

Whatever you choose, good luck.

You might want to double post this on the alternative board where you might get more information.

ETA Here is the database.

When you get to this site, click health and wellness and there is a database for both alternative and prescription drugs for effectiveness,side effects and interactions with other medications. It is also important to get blood tests to show if you have any deficiencies. If you don't have a deficiency, you might take too much which could have bad side effects.[This Message was Edited on 12/12/2009]
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

PH is very open minded when people are just giving information and their opinion as long as it is appropriate.This is one reason I like this site so much.

It has nothing to do with the fact that PH sells supps.

Do you think that we should only post about vitamins/minerals/supplements?

I guess I am curious why you would make this statement.

Take care.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have known you to do the same with science based posts. I am just providing information. Look at your reply on the health board about Dr. Google. I did not mind that you had replied nor did I find it negative.

Perhaps if people do not want to consider alternative or science based medicine it should be stated in the post. Maybe not, I don't know. I have stated in posts that I did not want any alternative suggestions.

I would have posted this even if you had not posted. It is for informational purposes only.

Yes, I knock supplements if science based medicine shows it is not effective. Woo therapies can be dangerous.

I do not respond to every alternative post and also post about a lot of other subjects.

In the great scheme of things, maybe this post was one I should have skipped as after reading the original post, the question was just about alternative ideas. For that I apologize.

But if I think a therapy is dangerous, such as the iodine post, I will say my opinion, unless asked not to. I have had Edgar Cayce shoved down my throat until I gagged.

There can be many sides to an issue.

There is always the ignore button.

Now let's get back to the topic at hand. I do not plan to post again here as I said my piece.

[This Message was Edited on 12/12/2009]
  5. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

I suggest you have your doctor run a blood panel to see if you are lacking in anything. I found out i am low in vit D. I take calcium/magnesium, B12 shots, omege3 vit d.

6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Debbie - I don't have fibro (CFS only), but have read of several people having less pain and more energy when they start low-dose naltrexone (see lowdosenaltrexone.org)

Jaminhealth on this board in particular is having good results. You can't be taking any opiods while taking ldn. You mgiht want to look it up -