What side effects has anyone had from Ambien?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CatsKimber, Oct 11, 2005.

1. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

My doc wants me to try it. I have bad side effects from almost everything and am afraid to try a new drug. But, he refuses to give me anything for my anxiety which is off the charts at the moment. He's convinced that merely getting a good night's sleep will cure all my aches, pains and anxiety, etc. Doctors are so ignorant!
  2. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Hi,
    I take Ambien and Mirapex at night (one gets me to sleep and the other keeps me asleep),,
    I have tried so many other things and this is the best combination yet.
    My Dr. said the same thing and I wasnt very happy with his comment, but to be honest, getting some restorative sleep does wonders..it has for me.
    As for side effects...I havent had any.
    Good luck!
    JPach
  3. jennypee

jennypee New Member

I had fairly decent results with Ambien-- I usually got good sleep and didn't feel all sick and groggy in the morning. (From the drug, at least) However, I had to be diligent about lying down after I took it or I'd just sit around being goofy.

The first time I took it I hallucinated a little, and called my doc to make sure I wasn't going to die or anything. Everything was hilarious to me-- my husband was trying to tell me about his bad day, and he got mad because I couldn't stop laughing at him. HE LOOKED LIKE A SCOTTISH LUMBERJACK!

So I just had to make sure that I was in bed when I took it, and prepared to sleep. It wouldn't work very well when I took it every single day, so I skipped about 2 days a week.
  4. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been taking Ambien for 5 years and it has always helped me get to sleep. I don't have any side effects. The only problem I have with Ambien is that it doesn't keep me asleep. I take it around 10pm and 30 minutes later I'm out. I always wake up around 2am (usually to hit the bathroom!). I used to take 10mg, but now I just break the tabs in half and get to sleep just fine with 5mg. Just this past week I started taking Baclofen (muscle relaxant) to help keep me asleep, but it hasn't helped yet, but I'm only taking 1/2 of a 10mg tab. I'll probably up it to the full 10mg tab and see if that helps.
    Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  5. teller7

teller7 New Member

If I take it for more than two nights in a row it makes me very groggy. Other than that it doesn't have any adverse side affects. The doctor told me to take a half a tablet, but that doesn't cut it at all for me. I'm still awake 4 hours later. So about an hour after the first half I take the other half. Then I could sleep till noon.
  6. spasco

spasco New Member

Like several others have said, it doesn't keep you asleep. Getting there is usually easy, not always.

God bless! Stephanie
  7. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I never took Ambien but it sounds like your dr. knows nothing about FMS. You needd to get a Rheumetologist that knows about it. Elavil is a good sleep aid which has helped me with my stage 4 recuperative sleep. I do not think a good nights sleep will cure these other things. Pirtpain
    Xanax is perfect for anxiety. Be sure to never drink while taking it though. [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2005]
  8. cozmodmc

cozmodmc New Member

Hi,
    I take ambien and have no side affects. Like you I have alot of trouble with meds. I can't take many. This med I have found to work well. After you take it for awhile you will start to sleep better I found.
    Dawn
  9. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

My best friend was on it for a while. It amde her very moody and depressed. I also noticed she was puffy with dark circles under eyes. She became addicted to it and it really changed her personality.
  10. jake123

jake123 New Member

I've hadno side effects, just five years of sleeping through the nights. My doctor says that Ambien puts you to sleep and Trazodone keeps you asleep.
  11. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

the next time I need to drive across country. It kept me wide awake from Friday night, when I first took it, until Tuesday night when I finally ws able to get a few hours sleep. It seems to work properly for most people, at least according to the doctor.

Kate
  12. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

thanks everyone for taking the time to answer - i appreciate it... now i'm off to take my first Ambien and see what happens (i haven't slept at all the last two nights!)

13. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

boy, if it did that to me I KNOW my hubby would want me to take it! I have never used it. I take clonazapam and that works for the most part.
    Raz
  14. jennypee

jennypee New Member

Kate! It did that to me too! I just wasn't going to admit it. :) I forgot to mention the temporary amnesia too-- I'd maul my hubby and not even remember a thing. It happened a couple times before he even mentioned it.

That's hilarious-- I just thought I was weird.
  15. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

today so I was happy to see this discussion. she told me to take it indefinitively but everything i read says it is habit-forming. I am going to try it for a week and see what happens but I'll start over the weekend just in case.

Has anyone here had trouble getting up for work the next morning? that is my main concern. any heart palpitations?

thanks,

I see my new rheumatologist in 3 weeks, let's see if he agrees.
  16. CatsKimber

CatsKimber New Member

i just took my first one a little over 2 hours ago and i'm still awake. i'm so disappointed. i haven't slept in days. i'm exhausted, but... not sleepy. don't know how i'll get through work tomorrow with no sleep - today was just horrible. hope it works better for you. i'm just wierd - everything has a "different" affect on me than most people.
  17. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

if it gets better. She told me to start with 5 mg. How much did you take?