What sleep meds have helped you?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swiss, Aug 24, 2005.

1. swiss

swiss New Member

I have only taken elavil to sleep (25mg) and it really does little to help. I am wondering what sleep medications you have found helpful and in what dosages. I want to try something different but do not know where to start.
    Michele
  2. Rainshadow

Rainshadow New Member

It works like a charm. I took 50mg. for several years, then when I was diagnosed (finally) with FM, my doctor increased it to 100mg. I sleep like a baby. I wake up when my bladder gets full, stagger to the bathroom, then right back to sleep. A good night's sleep really works wonders. There seem to be absolutely no side effects, either. I'm not groggy in the morning at all.
  3. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I can't take most sleeping pills. I took 30mg cyclobenzaprine with 2mg xanax for years.

I find better results with benedryl and Buspar.
  4. lumediluna

lumediluna New Member

works great. It is available by prescription only. FM/CFS patients need good sleep. It is SO critical for our well-being and insomnia is one thing that most of us have.
    I highly recommend it.
    I tried benydryl and I wake up groggy. Ambien doesn't make you feel that way. You get really good rest with it. I would talk with your doc about it.....pros/cons etc. Good luck and keep us posted.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have a 'cocktail' as I call it, that I take.

7pm .25mgs of Xanax for racing brain (calms me down in the evening).

9pm ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6) 2 capsules each night.
    This supplement has been the magic bullet for me with sleep. I have been taking them now for 2 1/2 years, and have been sleeping for 8-9 hours a night, as opposed to 2 hours at most for a lifetime. It also cured my RLS, and I rarely have FM spasms anymore.

Before bed 2 1/2 mgs of Melatonin. This makes me sleepy, and I go to sleep within half-to an hour of taking it.

Before this, I have taken half the sleeping pills on the market, they worked for a while than I was right back where I started from, or I had to keep upping the dosage, none really worked for me.

The big thing in this combination is the ZMA, it make it all work for me.

If you want more information on ZMA just go to the 'Store' link, Pro Health now sells this product for us.

Sure hope you find what works for you for sleep. Its so important that we do get deep stage four sleep.

Shalom, Shirl

6. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

1.25 mgs, and 10mg of amitriptyline right now. Only problem is when I need to take my tylenol 3 for pain at bedtime it sometimes gives me a racy brain, meaning it wont let me sleep,(I don't have "racy dreams"! LOL) my mind stays active and alert, making me even more tired. I usually can sleep fine, but still, never wake up refreshed and bright eyed OR bushy tailed!!
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Does the ambien give you 8 yrs sleep. I usually wake up after 4 and can`t go back to sleep. What`s wrong here? Mine are only 5 mg, maybe that`s the problem.

Sandy
  8. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Well, actually, the Gabitril is three times a day to help with sleep at night. I take 4 Zanaflex, 1200 MG. Neurontin and it knocks me out for a little while anyway. Doc says it is enough to put most people in a coma. It makes me hallucinate so I make sure not to open my eyes after it kicks in. Nothing scary - just that my mind makes weird things into normal things in my room. I've had monkeys, indians, and midgets in my room and my bed! I call it my monkey medicine. No, I didn't tell the doc about it because I'm tired of the experimentation. It took a year and a half to find this combo that let me at least fall asleep.
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Michele,

I started trying the natural supplements first. Melotonin 3mgs, l-theanine 200mgs, ZMA, gaba 500mgs and 5-htp 100mgs.. I had some, but not much, success with them. Got to where I felt more fatigued and sleepy during the day on them then without them.

I stopped 5-htp do to it's effects on serotonin. I take tramadol for pain and it too effects serotonin. By dropping the 5-htp, I got a little more peace of mind concerning serotonin syndrome.

My doctor was concerned enough with my sleep problems that he ordered a sleep study. I don't get REM sleep plus a minor amount of alpha intrusion.

The best medication for 0 REM sleep is lunesta. I take 2mgs at bedtime. It took me a while to get adjusted, but it has worked wonders for me. If I wake up before 8 hours has past, I'm able to fall back to sleep. Also, without lunesta, God know's what time I might fall asleep!
    If I make sure I have 8-9 hours available to sleep, then I wake up very refreshed and without as much pain.

I have a whole list of medications ( rx and natural ) that I cannot take because of their effects on REM sleep. So many of them suppress REM, which is the kiss of death for me. Who knew ?!?

I wish you well in your search. It has gotten very obvious that we FM/CFS's have disordered sleep as a consequence of our illnesses. More and more doctors are ordering sleep studies as a course of treatment.

Not all sleep meds work for everyone. Some people have bad alpha intrusion ( poor level 3&4 sleep ), ambien has helped some people. Xyrem has gotten excellent results for people in this category. SSRI's are good for some people who have too much REM stage sleep. It realy depends on your type sleep disorder.

They have found that it is not just "insomnia". It is "what kind of insomnia". Which level (s) of sleep are affected.

SSRI's, 5-htp, gaba, l-theanine all suppress REM, so , if I had continued taking them, I would have gotten worse as time went by.

After all of this, I guess it comes down to your particular sleep disorder. I'm not sure I was much help.LOl I definately got too wordy!! LOL Sorry about that!

Take care,

Elsa
    [This Message was Edited on 08/25/2005]
  10. jesfms

jesfms New Member

i use ambien and love it...gives a fresh sleep no hangover
  11. JLH

JLH New Member

After trial and error, Zanaflex works best for me.
  12. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Is it whey protein? what else?

I'd love to get off sleep meds (Trazadone)

Do you have FM? I have a swollen jaw now and am on antibiotics thinking its TMJ

hugs,
    Carolyn
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

Restoril is the only drug that has consistently worked for me over the years and I have tried them all. Ambien and Lunesta aren't available in Canada so I haven't tried those two.

I don't get a great sleep but at least I get some sleep. I have never seen anyone else on this board mention Restoril which surprises me since it is what they give out in at least some of the hospitals here and is what my CFS doc gave me immediately after diagnosing these DD's and insomnia.

Imovane also worked pretty well although it didn't last long enough.

The combination of 15 mg Restoril and 7.5 mg Imovane was the best for me. I would like to go back on that combination.

Pepper
  14. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

most people think I'm talking about marguritas. LOL

The flexeril/Xanax cocktail just finally stopped working after 7 years.

With the Benedryl and Buspar (and I forgot to mention) 5mg Melatonin. Yes that's 5,000 micrograms. My daughter takes 3oo micrograms an hour before bed.

I actually find it amusing to watch people's reactions (usually their eyes bug out) when I dump my bedtime cocktail into my hacd. (I set it up for the week in my pill case - now it's a no brainer to take)

I've been sick for almost a decade. that's just too long to care what other people think or say about it. I do what I have to to take care of myself and my family and if someone is non-supportive, negative or just plain bad for me then they don't have a place in my life.

I list it under priorities. My kid comes first so if you're not as important as my kid or my mother (I come from a big tight family) then you're really not all that important to me. Simplifying my life has had the greatest impact - after medications.
  15. elsa

elsa New Member

I haven't put it so clearly before, but you are exactly right. I found with these illnesses, I have given myself permission to do what I have to do to re-gain my life. As long as I don't intentionally hurt someone, I'm good to go.

Being over 40 has it's advantages too. No longer the "rookie" without enough life experience under my belt. I find it easy to please me more then worrying what others think.

Just wanted to back you up ....
    I hope you're having a decent day .....

Elsa
  16. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Here's what helps me sleep (before I did all this, I had chronic awful insomnia):

5-htp (amino acid) - 50 mg. first thing in the morning on
    an empty stomach, and 50 mg. late morning on empty
    stomach - this boosts serotonin levels so you shouldn't
    take it if you are already taking an SSRI, your serotonin
    may go too high

Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) - I take 3 capsules total,
    at same time as 5-htp (in divided doses) - this reduces
    high cortisol levels which cause insomnia and edginess.
    You shouldn't take Seriphos without a saliva test first
    to see what your cortisol levels are. But this has made
    a huge difference for me and sleep -- I started out with
    8 capsules a day 2 years ago and now am down to 3

l-theanine - two 100 mg. capsules an hour before bed. This
    is an amino acid which is very calming, it helps the
    brain to produce GABA

Calcium citrate and magnesium - I take about 900 mg.
    calcium and 400 mg. magnesium about 1 hour before bed,
    and also take more during the day

Melatonin - 2-1/2 to 3 mg. an hour before bed (I've read
    it's better to get the regular melatonin, NOT the time
    release kind)

Benadryl - 25 mg. an hour before bed

I'm menopaual so also take bio-identical hormones, estradiol (natural estrogen) and prometrium (natural
    progesterone)

Mary