What sleep meds should I ask to try next?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by aryiella, Mar 9, 2003.

1. aryiella

aryiella New Member

Hi all,

I just saw a sleep Dr a couple weeks ago. He put me on Ambien and Wellbutrin. I am very fatigued during the day at work, and at night, it takes me about 30 min to an hour to fall asleep, then when I do, I wake up 4-5 times during the night. I do not believe I am getting deep sleep. The slightest noise or distraction will wake me up. During the work week, I probably go to bed around 10:30-11 and have to get up at 6:30. I am a complete zombie at work during the day, and can barely do my job. Today is the third day on Wellbutrin (150mg), and I think it may be making me feel more alert, but I'm not sure. I don't think the Ambien is going to do me much good. I've taken it for the past 3 nights. Thursday night I took 10mg and fell asleep quickly, but still woke up maybe twice during the night. Friday at work I was my normal zombie-like self, maybe even worse. Friday night I took 5mg and again fell asleep quickly. I went to bed at 9:30 and slept in til 9:30, but I still woke up probably 4-5 times during the night. Then, last night I took 10mg again. I went out to a club (no alcohol) and didn't go to bed til 2:30, however I must've completely zonked out because I woke up at 6am with the TV still on, with no recollection of falling asleep. That NEVER happens to me. After I went back to sleep, I woke up numerous times til I finally got up today at noon. So ANYWAYS....I don't think this Ambien is going to do the trick. I'm thinking of asking for Klonopin or Neurontin. Whatever I get, I want to make sure weight gain is not a side effect. Any suggestions??? THANK YOU!

Holly
  2. judywhit

judywhit New Member

but I have an aweful time with sleep and while the wellbutrin gave me energy it also made my insomnia worse. I also take ambein about every other night. take 10mg at night and if I wake up I break another in half and take it.
    Ijust start taking 25mg of elevil at night which is supposed to help with sleep. Have not noticed yet. I feel as if my brain never shuts off at night and in the morning my head actually hurts!
  3. pearls

pearls New Member

I take Ambien and Neurontin for sleep, and Neurontin (yep, the same) during the day as part of my pain regimen, and Provigil to help me stay alert during the day. For awhile I was on too much Provigil and it made me babble. Less Provigil, less babbling! (My husband was happier.) It is working pretty well right now, though I'm having lots of pain, still. I'm under a lot of pressure until mid-June and that probably accounts for my pain.

-Pearl
  4. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Dalmane is an older sleep Rx that doctors don't think to order anymore. It gives me the closest to a natural nights sleep that I ever got from a pill. It comes in 15 or 30 mg. Have them order the 15 and you can increase it if that doesn't work.

Ambien is a hypnotic and every time I take it I don't remember falling asleep. It will zonk me out in the middle of a converation. I also sleep lightly and have absurd dreams on Ambien.

Take Care

Kel
    [This Message was Edited on 03/09/2003]
  5. karen55

karen55 New Member

to help him stop smoking and he is incredibly fatigued during the day, and cannot sleep at night on the stuff. He has a script for Restoril, and that's not even allowing him to sleep. Wellbutrin seems to do that to a lot of people.
  6. jka

jka New Member

not sleeping is the worst. i use to wake up 4-6 times a nite. every little noise woke me up. my rhumy has me taking alprazalam at nite now. at first i slept all nite. now im waking up about 2 times a nite.it is better. he also has me on a trial drug mirapex.its pretty new and only 2 docs in the country are trying it. ive had good results with it.pain level has gone down,foggy brain is better,ect.i had a pretty bad case of fibro. most people have a better recovery on mirapex then i have.i still have a lot of pain in my back,hips and knees. but i also have lupus. so where does one end and the other begin?sleep meds are just trial and error.

good luck
    kathy c
  7. Lendi

Lendi New Member

My Dr. put me on restoril after trying ambien. Restoril works better, at least I get about 5 hrs of pretty good sleep, then wake a lot after that. (my sleep study showed I woke up spontaneously 36 times during 250 minutes) And, I dont' think I feel as foggy headed, but I'm still just as tired, physically. And, I have heard that after awhile it can quit working. I see my new rheumy tuesday, and he said he was changing my meds when I came back after the test results came in. I'll be honest, I'm panicky he'll change the restoril and I have become quite adjusted to my 5 hrs of sleep the last 3 weeks.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Zanaflex. Zanaflex is a muscle relaxer and is works better for me than anything and I think I have tried everything!!

I had to experiment with the dosage, but after I got the correct amount for me, it works like a dream. No droggy feeling the next day either. I take it as early as 7:00 pm and then if I stay up until 11 pm, sometimes I am so sleepy that I can barely make it to bed and then fall fast asleep. Maybe your doc can give you some samples.

9. Bambi

Bambi New Member

the years but the Trazadone works
    the best for me. I'm taking 150mgs.
    about an hour before bedtime. I don't
    always go to bed, have always been a
    night person, until around 1 but can
    sleep if nothing real noisey happens..during the week my husband's
    alarm goes off at 4 and I get up then
    since he can help me with my nebulizer for Asthma, meds and put
    the topical pain cream on for me before he leaves. Then I go back for
    a long nap usually around 10 a.m..
    I got 8 hours last night and tonight
    am really sleepy, a rarity though.
    Hugs,Bambi
  10. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

There are few solutions I have found for these DDs, but zanaflex comes close to being the best solution for insomnia with a good night's sleep and no hangover effect..it is a muscle relaxant..and you don't seem to build up tolerance over time like so many of the other type meds I have used..and I feel better on it than any other solution..Ambien, I think, should only be used sparingly as one can build up a tolerance to that one and then it doesn't work so good. Since there is differences in biochemistry, though, it is hard to tell if it will be the same for you..
  11. aryiella

aryiella New Member

Thanks for all the input by the way.

I should add that I believe some of my sleeping problems are anxiety-related. Like last night, I kind of had a panic attack when I was trying to go to sleep. Just a feeling of hopelessness - and I cried for like a half hour. Somehow I finally calmed down, and ended up taking 15mg of Ambien. I feel like I'm losing my mind on top of this dreaded fatigue. My mind "races" about anything and everything that my brain has absorbed during the day. This is only day 4 on Wellbutrin, and I don't think it's that. I'm contemplating trying not to watch TV for a while and see if that helps. But, I wonder if there's a drug out there for the anxiety, and that promotes the deep stage 4 sleep also.

Thanks,
    Holly
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Elavil put 20 pounds on me very rapidly. Elavil has helped some here, but it is infamous for causing rapid weight gain. Same with Flexeril which is a muscle relaxant in the same family of drugs as the antidepressant, Elavil.

With the Klonopin, there has been no weight gain (in fact, I've lost 24 pounds on the Suzanne Somers diet). Klonopin, and Neurontin, stop the slight seizure activity which keeps us from being able to sleep. Other benefits include stopping anxiety/panic attacks, RLS, sensory overload, tinnitus, and, researchers think Klonopin disrupst pain signals in the brain. There is a study to try to confirm the pain-killing properties of Klonopin. My pain has decreased significantly since being on the Klonopin, but I just thought it was from the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  13. tandy

tandy New Member

I'm currently taking elavil and a flexeril for sleep.
    While this combo has worked very well for me,I feel to zapped the next day!! (I've been told its the flexeril)
    Anyway question is.....I have heard so many speak of the Zanaflex.I asked my dr. about it and she agreed that it is a usefull muscle relaxer but if I want to use that instead of the flexeril she would write me ascript. I just would hate to give up my flexeril and have the zanaflex not work as well~ Anyone on zanaflex?do you think its better than flexeril,&without the hungover feeling.About the same? which would you pick and why???
    Ya see,I only see my Rheumy every 2-3 months,so I don't wanna be stuck with something useless,and suffer sleepless nights~
    Thanks!
    Tracey
  14. aryiella

aryiella New Member

For the suggestions. I really think I'm going to ask my Dr for the Klonopin. I am scared to death of weight gain, so I don't want to take a chance with that. I have extremely poor self-image, and gaining one pound will just add to it. In fact, I believe I have BDD (Body Dysmorphic Disorder) which manifests itself by me picking at my face. It's a horrible habit. Anyone else do this??? It's sort of like OCD. I'm really trying to stop that though. Anyways, if you say it's good for anxiety and sleep, that's probably my best bet.

Holly

PS: This board is great, and I'm grateful to all the people who take the time to read these messages and offer their input.
  15. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

Have had seep apnea since I was 17 and other sleep problems,
    showed up on the sleep tests. Nothing I ever took worked without the morning fog, ie. hangover.

Madwolf was correct about two of the meds, the others I haven't tried. I take Doxepin, Ambien, and neurontin. The secret to Ambien is that the directions say to take it on an empty stomach. Doxepin you can take anytime before bedtime. I usually take it 1 hour before with the neurontin.
    I have never felt more rested in the mornings as I have on the Ambien. As we all say, what works for some, doesn't always work for others. Try taking the Ambien alone, as per directions, and see if that helps. 1maqt
  16. tandy

tandy New Member

The flexeril are 10mgs.And the elavil were 25mgs....Due to me complaining of the hungover feeling the next day,My Rheumy just lowered the dose of those to a half tablet.(so 12mgs now)I sleep way better with the two combined!I'll sleep 6-8 hrs straight!! I use to be up every 3 hrs around the clock. But even at the lowered dose w/flex. I'm feeling sluggish till 11 am or so.I get up at 7.
    I 'll try taking a half of the flex. with my elavil~That might be the ticket! good luck to you&your son!!
    Thanks for the thought~

Tracey
  17. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I tried many things before lighting up Klonopin. It has been a godsend for me. I was having trouble falling asleep, brain racing, and waking up at least 20 times a nite on all the other meds I tried. Then waking up groggy, in the morning, as you describe.
    On the klonopin, I may wake up once during the night to use the restroom, (not always), I fall asleep much faster, and do not feel hungover in the morning. It has also totally gotten rid of restless leg syndrome, that invariably attacked at night.
    Best wishes,
    LL
    Another note--I gained 30 lbs on the other meds. Am not gaining ANY on the klonopin[This Message was Edited on 03/10/2003]
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This supplement will work synergistically with whatever one is taking for sleep. I wish I could take it, but it does block the Guai.

I find it so strange that benzos are not supposed to produce restorative sleep. I awaken feeling refreshed from the Klonopin, which I never did from the Elavil which is supposed to provide Stage IV sleep. The Elavil just left me feeling as tired as when I went to bed and left me feeling groggy like a hangover. It has been very helpful for some here, though. We are all so different.

Love, Mikie
  19. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I take amitriptyline and temazepam. The temazepam has been added just recently as my ami quit doing the whole job.