What songs do you like but are embarassed about?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kholmes, Feb 9, 2009.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I watched the Grammy Awards last night, and thoroughly enjoyed them, but realized that there have been a lot of songs I've liked over the years that I'm vaguely embarassed to admit to liking:

"Toxic" Britney Spears
    "Take a Chance" (Abba)
    "Rocky Mountain High," John Denver
    "Like a Rhinestone Cowboy," Glen Campbell

How about you?

[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2009]
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

What a great question!

I shared a song with a friend just the other day and told her that I used to be embarrassed about how much I liked it. It wasn't "cool" in a cool way; it was sweet and earnest and dippie. 40 years later I seem to have come to terms with my dippiness.

"Beautiful People" See below link for 40 year old clip of Melanie
    "Tomorrow" Wore out the record and sang along - alone!
    "Don't Worry, Be Happy" Love it, totally over myself on this one!
    "Rocky Mountain High" Totally hear you, Ken

and now, for the pièce de résistance,

"Day Dream Believer" by a fake band: the Monkees

Hanging my head... and humming

3. jemini

jemini New Member

This is the first time ever that I can admit that I know all of the words to Copacabana. I love Barry Manilow!!! John Denver is my favorite!!! Those are the top 2 artists that come to mind when I think of something I might blast on the freeway but turn down when I get to the end of the offramp.
  4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I have tons...

"I think I love you" John Cassidy
    "To Sir With Love" Lulu
    "Careless Whisper" Wham
    "Smells Like Teen Spririt" Nirvana
    "Dance of the Hoppy Lads" Waterboys

and currently, I just love

"Single Lady" by Beyoncee

I could go on forever!!!

Rafiki...Monkee fan here too...my claim to fame is that I was friends with Micky Dolenz' mother...seriously...we met in London in 1987 at Heathrow and flew from there to San Francisco and talked the whole way there, and stayed in touch for years! I have so many secrets about them, lol!!! She was a true sweetie btw...helped me make a transition from Europe to the USA!!![This Message was Edited on 02/09/2009]

BILLCAMO New Member

by songs because I love music (rap excluded ;>) LOL)........

Some people are embarassed by these two songs :

1) It ain't easy..... by Three Dog Night

2) The world is full of stupid people (Can't remember title or group) , but it is accurate......

And , just for the record , John Denver WAS NOT referring to "MJ" in Rocky Mountain High...

Now smile a little smile for me , my Cherie.........:>) She did appreciate her pearl necklace LOL

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 02/09/2009]
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

"I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of? I'm afraid that I'm not sure of a love there is no cure for." Guess I'd better cop to that one, too :eek:)

Very interesting that you met Mother Dolenz! I'm oddly pleased to hear that he had a really nice mum. It's always a good thing to hear that someone has a sweet mum. And, of course, very pleased for you that you had her guidance in a new country.

Isn't it interesting how people's paths cross... 6 degrees of separation.

Peace out,
  7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I really like the Pussycat Dolls and I love, "when I grow up", "don't cha", "Wait a minute" and "Butons". I usually listen to Nickelback and middle of the "Hard" rock bands.

I grew up in the eighties so all of the big hair bands are also favs. Def Leppard, Poison, Motley Crew, Ratt and of course my absolute fav is Dokken.

OK, since I confessed how many lashes will I get. LOL.
  8. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Oh, this one brings back great memories! It was very popular at a roller rink I used to go to with a crowd of friends in junior high (many many years ago.) Skate around and when it goes "knock 3 times" you stomped your skate 3 times and hope you didn't fall down doing it! LOL

Not a good skater, but had fun.

9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

reading everyone's responses. Some fun old songs, some of which are getting stuck in my head.

Rafiki, the line "I think I love you, but what am I so afraid of?" cracked me up. Didn't the Partridge Family have the harpsichord in some of their songs?

Pain, I too am impressed with your knowing Mickey Dolenz's mother. That is a fun name to drop!
  10. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I still sing along with the BJ Thomas song Hooked on a Feeling when it comes on the radio. He made it in 1969.

It was re-made in 1996 or so by Blue Swede. Remember ooga chakka, ooga chakka and the Dancing Baby on the internet? Ahhh, good times....
  11. Juloo

Juloo Member

I'm sure I'll add to this -- but I'll start with this one:

Sugar, Sugar by The Archies!
  12. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I love BJThomas !My hubbie and I saw him in a small nightclub here in Denver in the late 70's. We also saw the Rightious Bro's around that time, they were a little before my time but I loved Bobbie Hatfield's voice. I'm not ashamed to admit that I am a MoTown Girl!! Lived in Detroit until my early teens...love em love em... Jeanne
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2009]
  13. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

High on believing... uhm... that you're in love with me?

Add it to my list!

Had to go to youtube to listen to Hooked on a Feeling and found the David Hasselhoff (!) Ooga Chucka version which is one of the strangest music videos I've ever seen.

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2009]
  14. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Wow. Wow. That's one of the trippiest videos I've ever seen. It's so bad, I love it! And David Hasselhoff is like a rock god in Germany. Go figure. Thanks Rafiki. That definitely made me laugh!

Here's the lyrics to Hooked on a Feelin' (I dare you to read them and NOT sing them as you read!)

Fade in with electric sitar music......

I can't stop this feelin' deep inside of me
    Girl, you just don't realize what you do to me
    When ya hold me in your arms so tight
    You let me know everything's all right

I-I-I, I'm hooked on a feelin'
    High on believin' that you're in love with me

Lips are sweet as candy, the taste stays on my mind
    Girl, you keep me thirsty for another cup of wine
    I got it bad for you, girl but I don't need a cure
    I'll just stay addicted and hope I can endure

All the good love when we're all alone
    Keep it up, girl, yeah ya turn me on

High on believin' that you're in love with me

All the good love when we're all alone
    Keep it up, girl, yeah ya turn me on

I'm high on believin' that you're in love with me
  15. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Twin...ha ha...have you ever heard his voice DUBBED in German...Knight Rider in German...oh yah, they love that man!

Rafiki and Ken...ya, she was a neat lady...I was pretty sick back then, especially w/ fatigue (and no diagnosis) and she helped me correct something that happened w/ my ticket and we just had a grand time on that long old flight!

I youtubed "I think I love you" and fell in love all over again...can't help it. I saw him on Oprah a while back and I thought the audience would collapse her stage!

Saturday night...bay city rollars...oh, that's a memory...so many neat (ahem, embarrassing) songs...
    Monca, I'm a Nickelback fan too...belt out that one on karaoke...he he!

May I add:

"Da Do Run Run" Shaun Cassidy
    "Walking on Sunshine" Katrina and The waves
    "I'm Too Sexy" (for my shirt...too sexy for my shirt...)...can't think of the singer...
    "Achy Breaky Heart" Billy Rae

How many here have embarrassing RINGTONES on their cellphones? Guilty here but someone else must confess first...

This thread is so much fun!

16. GreenOnions

GreenOnions New Member

Tiptoe Thru The Tulips, by Tiny Tim. :)
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That David Hasselhoff "Hooked on a Feeling" video is TRULY bizarre. LOL.

Thanks for posting.

18. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Eric Clapton's two versions of "Layla" (he had fallen in love with George Harrison's wife and wrote the song for her. They he married her, then they divorced later in life.) Here's a site about it http://www.azer.com/aiweb/categories/magazine/63_folder/63_articles/63_clapton.html The first version was early and very hard rock; the second version was a few years ago and very almost country western and guitar.

Come Poop With Me By Triump The Insult Comic Dog
    A Christmas Together by John Denver and The Muppets
    American Woman by The Guess Who
    Most things by Chicago
    Vehicle by Ides of March

Pain, I really liked Micky Dolenz of the Monkees when I was in school and I had almost all their albums except the last couple. I watched their show on TV too.
  19. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I know! How could we not know about this? I gotta say it makes me squirm a bit in places but mostly it's a hoot! There is a Hasselhoff "Secret Agent Man" video too but I thought I should pace myself :eek:)

I'm not sure that we can put Clapton and Chicago on the same list with "Come Poop with Me"! Come poop with me?! If we had a prize, I think you would'a just won it!

Peace out,

20. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Glad you are feeling better and posting. I have a very eclectic taste in music. It's usually songs that I work out to with funky music beats that bring out the strange tunes.

I'm hiding under the covers as I admit to liking these songs:

"SOS" and "Don't Stop the Music" by Rihanna

SexyBack by Justin Timberlake

"Pump It" by The Black Eyed Peas

"Insane in the Membrane" by Cypress Hill

And I admit to being a huge sap (and proud of it!):

"Love is the Answer" by England Dan & John Ford Coley

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

You get the idea!

Take care,