what speciality is ME/CFS under?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justdifferent, Dec 28, 2008.

  1. justdifferent

    justdifferent New Member

    I do realise that there are a lot of symptoms that may require treatment by different specialists, but ... if this is a disease caused by a hormonal imbalance, wouldn't it be treated by an endocrinologist?

    I'd really like to not have to add another doctor to my list so will bring it up with him (I am hypothyroid and have elevated testosterone (no PCOS though)).
  2. aftermath

    aftermath New Member

    ME/CFS is pretty much an orphan right now, as it is poorly understood and shunned by many allopathic physicians. One cannot finger any of the traditional specialties as having expereince in care of the disease.

    When the pathway behind it is finally figured out, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that it ends up being neurological in origin and thus the realm of neurologists. Infectious Disease is #2 on the list, but looking like a long shot at this ponit.
  3. karynwolfe

    karynwolfe New Member

    CFS seems to have many triggers. ME/CFIDS is usually linked to viral infection.

    Hypothyroidism isn't CFS or ME. They're different conditions, so just like you wouldn't ask your rheumatologist to treat your allergies, you wouldn't ask your endocrinologist to treat CFS or ME, unless you're having symptoms that are endocrine-related. :) But even then, treating hypothyroidism isn't treating CFS or ME. Myalgic encephalomyelitis is a neurological disease affecting all systems, so you're right, you have to go to a specialist based on which of your symptoms are behaving the worst.

    The primary diagnostician for ME/CFIDS will be an infectious disease specialist, who will usually direct you to one of the above based on your primary symptoms.

    Hope this has helped.

[ advertisement ]