What supplement(s) have worked best for your CFS??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by busybusymom, Nov 28, 2005.

1. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I've been reading so much about "energy" supplements and wondering has anything, and if so what, has worked for you? I have CFS - vitamins, malic acid don't do a darn thing for me.

I just received ProHealth's magazine today with all the supplements. Has anyone tried any of them? How about Dr. Teitelbaum's supplement, which I see ProHealth is now selling.

JEnnifer
  2. kylesmom

kylesmom New Member

...but I haven't tried much aside from a few vitamins. I was encouraged by posters here talking about Calcium Pyruvate, and I plan to try it (as soon as I can find it).
  3. jane32

jane32 New Member

fatigued to fantastic I take every day-took me about three tries to get down the first time-so gross. But after two weeks I saw a difference. Now if I stop and then start it I notice a difference-it is a really good multivitamin. I only take his B supplements twice a week b/c they are so strong. I also take NADH in the morning which I swear by-10mg. But you can't eat afterwards and have ot avoid all acids for three hrs. It is also pricey but worth it. I also think the proboost has helped my infections. I want to add ginseng next to my regimen. I hear that helps.
  4. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Are you on any medication as well? Part of my concern is mixing his protocol with my antidepressant and other meds that I take. Do you know what NADH is for?

Thanks,
    Jennifer
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I find Coenzyme Q10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Phosphatidyl Serine to be somewhat helpful.
  6. ladude

ladude New Member

B 12 shots a couple times a week seems to help.
    Been doing it for a month and so far it looks good.

LAdude
  7. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have been taking provigil for a long while now. I took 100mg daily for about six months but my Rummy raised my dosage to 200mg recently. I have to honestly say at first it helped. It helped to the point I had some nervousness with it. Now I have added coenzyme Q10. (against my doc's judgement for some reason) I do feel a short spurt of energy but it fades way too soon. I fight fatigue just to be a Mom most days. I would love to change my meds around, and try what is out there. I'm gonna put that on my list of things to do...which is a huge list by the way. Seriously though, It is great to compare meds with everyone because no one would know better than us. I appreciate everyone's post because I learn a lot about new and different meds and supplements here.
    Angela~
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

dogs, cant go wrong with dogs for cfs and fm :)
    smiles laughs and cuddles. a non judgemental ear and great company.
  9. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Seems like different stuff works for different people.

Thanks all for your input.

Jennifer
  10. jane32

jane32 New Member

I take the NADH to jump start my morning and energy levels. it is also used for mental clarity. As for meds I currently take nexium, and Valtrex for EBV. I am adding diflucan and T3 at the end of the month. I don't think meds matter with his drink.
  11. emilylpn

emilylpn New Member

seem to help, but now I have felt worse again. I dont know what to do I am soooo frustrated
  12. CinCA

CinCA New Member

I've also found B12 injections help, although sometimes more than others. It's not like I have more energy, but rather I don't feel quite as drained, moody, exhuasted, etc. I just feel more "okay" and can accomplish a little more.

Just my experience. Good luck!
  13. kalaya

kalaya New Member

try siberian ginseng and it is perfectly fine to take 2 or 3 or more ginseng caps at once.This could potentialy be a real benefit.Modafinil could also help but you will need a doctors prescription for this.God bless.
  14. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

The supplements that help me most with CFS ae: COQ10 - 75mg. 3x a day; Sun Chlorella (10 tableets a day); and Spirulina (6 tablets a day). I also take a B complex tablet once a day. These all give me energy.

When I'm in brain fog, I make a mixture of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries, with a little balsalmic vinegar, and have a small bowl (about 2/3 cup) for my snack. This really helps me concentrate. (This also happens to be a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa).

Another recipe for helping concentration is making a mixture of equal parts almonds and raisins, and snacking on them throughout the day. Tests have been done that show that concentration is improved when this is done consistently.

Everyone is different, but this what has helped me.
    Good luck.
    Terry
  15. tigger5

tigger5 New Member

I fell off the supplement wagon for awhile and got much sicker so I'm at it again...

Vitamin C (with a few minerals) to help clear toxins from my system

Raw adrenal (and a few other raw organs) to help rebuild the center part of the adrenal

Adrenal cortical extract (to help the outer portion of the adrenal..it emits hormones that control over 40 different process in the body.

Phosphorylated serine to help the adrenals "turn off" (they forgot how to a long time ago)

Enzymes and Probiotics (to help with IBS)

Udo's Oil (essential fatty acids, especially Omega 3...I can tell when I need this because I start getting a flaky scalp)

Ambrotose and Phytaloe (essential glyconutrients to help with cell to cell communication especially in immune system)

Emulsified Oregano tablet if I'm going to splurge and eat sweets and/or bread (candida).

Wow! That's a lot but I am feeling better in just two days and no doctor's visit to pay for! No vicious side effects either.
  16. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

Sounds like a lot of good stuff to me. Many of you seem to be taking COq10 - I can't - upsets my stomach.

Jane, I have a very high EBV titer. Does the Valtrex help with your symptoms?

Jennifer
  17. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I would say Dr. T's daily enzyme drink with B cap is at the top of the list. Been drinking it since April.

Q-10 2 per day, magnesium 500 mg total.

I also take many more but I really think these 3 are giving me the most benefit energy wise.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2005]
  18. jane32

jane32 New Member

I started taking the Valtrex a month ago. I hear it takes 3-4 months. I go to the FFC so this is part of their protocal. Not sure if it works yet-the true test is when I don't get my fever/flu-like cycle. I am do this weekend. I don't even know what my levels are but it does show a current and past infection and I had mono 7 yrs. ago. Last month I took the proboost and I noticed my temp was down a little so I think that definitely helps.
  19. dorrene

dorrene New Member

Eleuthero root (2 caps three times a day for 5 days... then reduce to 2 2 times a day or less) for adrenal fuction

Hawthorn (strengthens heart fuction...takes up to two months for full effect)

Astragalus
    Cordyceps
    Anything that will boost adrenal fuction
    Sublingual B vitamins
    Lots of fruit and vegies. Carrot juice one cup a day.
    yoga & walking
    L-Tryptophan for sleep
    Thyroid & T3
    Cherry juice for pain (three cups a day)
    Treat allergies!!!

I'm an RN and these are all safe to take.
    I can work out now and also work part-time.
    Very, very effective these are the best for CFS/Fibro.
    Also if you have allergies you must make sure you are not being exposed to anything you are allergic to. Makes CFS much worse.
    Dorrene
  20. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I first posted about calcium pyruvate a while back. I haven't heard much back from other posters that tried it. I hope this means it's working so well for them, they're spending less time on the computer ;).

Anyway, the calcium pyruvate is the one supplement that gets me over the hump of exhaustion (CFS/FM.)

I also take: Elavil, Allegra, Nasonex, Noni Juice, TRC Rockland liquid minerals, Nature Made Advanced Heart Health vitamin B, 81mg aspirin, alfalfa tablets and Schiff Lubriflex everyday.

This combination of prescriptions and supplements is returning my life to me.

However, the single supplement that makes the most difference in energy is the calcium pyruvate.